JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Rick Jamison rigged up a Nitrogen wrap device, much like the plumbers use to freeze a section of pipe for a repair downstream. Looks like a blood-pressure cuff, supplied by a small tank.
I've used the Nitrogen freeze bags to freeze the water inside piping and they work pretty quickly depending on the size of the piping and temperature of the water.

Wouldn't doing this have an effect on the metallurgy of the barrel? Going from hot to cold that quickly.

Same question about using ice.

I have no intention of using either method, just a thought that popped in my head. In case somebody decides to actually do it.

Last Edited:
1719523180982.png

Kick it old school with a water jacket? :s0155:

I remember putting a number of rounds through a Mosin one time and the wood stock finish was literally turning to liquid.
The heat probably caused the wood to start sweating cosmoline. Many older east bloc milsurps were stored in massive quantities of the stuff, and some of that was absorbed by the wood.

Yep, I have many many 1000s of bullets that need to get buried in a dirt bank. I'm a pie plate moa shooter anyways, so not much reason to spend oodles of time trying to gain an inch here or an inch there.
You spend an awful lot of time coming up with crazy ideas. You should ditch all of that and shoot more. A lot more. Your MOA example is something to be embarrassed about especially on a gun forum. If you really don't care about an inch here and an inch there when it comes to accuracy what is the point of any of this? Shooting accurately is a hell of a lot more useful, safe and efficient (and respected) than another random idea. I'm being serious here. I wish you would be.

Wasting members time with threads like this when you obviously don't care about or appreciate accurate shooting isn't ok.

Last Edited:
Honestly, I believe I am overcomplicating this stuff. I don't think this precision shooting is for me. I haven't even been out with the first batch of loads and the fun factor is already going south. I am just going to load for fun then go out and shoot'em up. I have way to many guns that need shooting, to worry about fine details of each range visit.

Let the fun commence!
I have two choices: To overcomplicate things or do what makes me happy. I will aim for doing more of the latter.

I'm ready.

1719551145243.png

I can say that a small but very wet towel worked like a charm to keep the barrel from heating up too much. I left the towel on while I was shooting so it may have impacted the barrel harmonics but I am suppose to be keeping it simple. My groups weren't horrible so.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top