JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1719451039365.png

Get a small cooler, fill with ice cubes and a few sodas. Take to range.
Rub ice cubes up and down the barrel top and bottom. It will cool in about 2ish ice cubes.

After the barrel is cooled down, crack open a soda and enjoy a cold beverage.

Layne Simpson said he pours cool water down the bore. I'm sure it works well, but i have no reason to try it. The guns I want to be accurate I make a point to not throw bullet after bullet down the bore.

When I have been in a hurry on the bench (which is extremely rare, because the bench is a rare place where I should NOT be in a hurry, and I value it), I have used the little "freeze paks" (like they send home with vaccines). Gel material. Freeze 'em draped over something, so they may cradle a barrel and slide. Have a terry towel nearby.

Layne Simpson said he pours cool water down the bore. I'm sure it works well, but i have no reason to try it. The guns I want to be accurate I make a point to not throw bullet after bullet down the bore.
Yeah, he was most probably:

1) on a deadline for an article

2) did it to a manufacturer's "test" gun sent to him.

(I would hope.) :cool:

I think Rick Jamison rigged up a Nitrogen wrap device, much like the plumbers use to freeze a section of pipe for a repair downstream. Looks like a blood-pressure cuff, supplied by a small tank.

Maybe I shouldn't be worried about the barrel heat? Does anybody measure for it?
Ive always heard to worry about it. Never shoot a hot barrel or it can wear down the throat faster. Will also affect zero and pressure.
I messed with measuring temp a while ago with a laser thermometer. Some people use temperature strips. I didnt do any formal study from it, so if its too hot to touch its too hot to fire is what I use now.

Ive always heard to worry about it. Never shoot a hot barrel or it can wear down the throat faster. Will also affect zero and pressure.
I messed with measuring temp a while ago with a laser thermometer. Some people use temperature strips. I didnt do any formal study from it, so if its too hot to touch its too hot to fire is what I use now.
I have read that too, about accelerated wear. My main concern is group size opening up as the barrel gets warm and trying to shoot tight groups through the "mirage" thrown off from the barrel.

I am going to be shooting a bunch of 5 shot groups in a range trip and would like to have the group sizes reflective of the load combination and not distorted because of the level of barrel heat.

I remember putting a number of rounds through a Mosin one time and the wood stock finish was literally turning to liquid. The groups were never good in that rifle but especially not on that day.

I have read that too, about accelerated wear. My main concern is group size opening up as the barrel gets warm and trying to shoot tight groups through the "mirage" thrown off from the barrel.

I am going to be shooting a bunch of 5 shot groups in a range trip and would like to have the group sizes reflective of the load combination and not distorted because of the level of barrel heat.

I remember putting a number of rounds through a Mosin one time and the wood stock finish was literally turning to liquid. The groups were never good in that rifle but especially not on that day.
In my limited experience.
Group quantity is a matter of barrel diameter, in regards to heat only (all other things being equal). With my pencil thin barrels the most I would get before the group starts climbing was 3 rds. With heavier barrels, 4 or 5 rds before POI started walking. Typically the poi would rise up as the temp increased.

What I would do in your case is test 2 strings of 5rds, but note (estimate) group size on the first 3 shots compared to all 5. If the group difference between 3 shots and 5 in the same string of fire between the two sample strings then you will know how many rounds your barrel is good for temp wise, for the ambient temp of that day.

In my limited experience.
Group quantity is a matter of barrel diameter, in regards to heat only (all other things being equal). With my pencil thin barrels the most I would get before the group starts climbing was 3 rds. With heavier barrels, 4 or 5 rds before POI started walking. Typically the poi would rise up as the temp increased.

What I would do in your case is test 2 strings of 5rds, but note (estimate) group size on the first 3 shots compared to all 5. If the group difference between 3 shots and 5 in the same string of fire between the two sample strings then you will know how many rounds your barrel is good for temp wise, for the ambient temp of that day.
Honestly, I believe I am overcomplicating this stuff. I don't think this precision shooting is for me. I haven't even been out with the first batch of loads and the fun factor is already going south. I am just going to load for fun then go out and shoot'em up. I have way to many guns that need shooting, to worry about fine details of each range visit.

Let the fun commence!

Honestly, I believe I am overcomplicating this stuff. I don't think this precision shooting is for me. I haven't even been out with the first batch of loads and the fun factor is already going south. I am just going to load for fun then go out and shoot'em up. I have way to many guns that need shooting, to worry about fine details of each range visit.

Let the fun commence!
off to the next shiny object!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top