JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What the title says... seriously though, I've only been reloading a couple weeks now, and the press is pretty squeaky. I've resized and decapped a couple thousand brass and expanded, steated and crimped a whopping total of 600 rounds in .45 acp, .223 rem, and 9mm Luger.
The press came from the factory greased and ready to go, but it's a bit dry now. What do you use to maintain it, and how often is normal?

I grease pins where things pivot (like the press linkage pins) and oil the ram with motor oil periodically. The ram gets dirty, especially if decapping spent primers on the press. The ram gets more frequent cleaning/oiling than the pivots get greased. I don't track how many rounds between oiling/greasing, but after an extended session, I usually squirt a little oil on a paper towel and wipe down the ram. Every so often I disassemble the pivot points, and take the ram out, for a more thorough cleaning and re-grease the pivots.

Mine has one of those automotive grease fittings so I bought one of those extra small hand held grease guns. As for how often, just when I happen to remember.

Gosh, I don't know? I'll do a butt-load of work on it prepping brass. That's the real work for the press. And then, I won't do anything for what seems like weeks on the press. RCBS rock Chucker here. I'd say, doing it more often than you need to is going to be better than not doing it enough?
When I do clean and lube I'll use the edge of the blue paper shop towel to slide into the parts after I oil good. And work the handle good to get the clean oil in, get it dirty, clean that out and, then oil again. Like said above, wipe the ram down good, oil it, work it, wipe it off, and repeat, so you know you've got the dirt out.

My Rockchucker would get primer dust where it shouldn't be and I found that using Hornady oneshot gun cleaner followed by wilson gun grease was a reasonable solution. My Summit has a zert fitting but normally I just use the Wilson's gun grease on it. The COAX stays lubed pretty well.

I just use the Hornady OneShot spray and spray the joints and parts that touch, can't say that I've had to add any actual grease yet.
Only my AP Press has zirk fitting.
The dust from spent rounds is why I use a hand deprimer unit, so it doesn't dirty the press.

What Mike said, use it often.

IMG_2915.jpeg IMG_2911.jpeg

CLP on a rag, wipe down the ram until clean and leave behind a fresh coat of lube. As to frequency, it's a visual inspection as well as how the ram feels on the upstroke. Dirty or dragging ram gets more frequent attention.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top