JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been thinking about converting my Toyota PU to a diesel or an EV

Today I stumbled across an ad on FB marketplace for a Toyota Hilux RHD/JDM 4D 4x4 Hilux pickup with a straight front axle (my XCab PU is a US version with IFS and gasoline engine - LHD of course). It isn't cheap - they want $32K for it. But I calculate that if I had my PU converted to diesel by someone else, it would be at least $20K for parts and labor, and it would still be IFS (IFS is not a dealbreaker for me - but the solid front axle is stronger).

Plus the Hilux is 10" shorter WB than my Xcab (I have the 6' bed, whereas the Hilux has a 5' bed), so probably less likely to be high centered, and maybe a tighter turning circle. Plus raising the PU up a little is easier with the straight axle than with IFS. And the diesel on the Hilux is factory, where the conversion would not be - so easier to get parts for it.
Saw one on FB MP today that was an XCab in Montana though (too far), but was nice. I will have to keep my eyes open for another locally.

These rigs are fairly common in Texas... with one being totally custom built, EV hunting rig!?

unnamed (13).jpg unnamed (12).jpg a6398afaf75b837e3e3aeeb9cbeab6ec.jpg south-texas-outfitters-hunting-truck20.jpg south-texas-outfitters-hunting-truck-25.jpg south-texas-outfitters-hunting-truck-30.jpg south-texas-outfitters-hunting-truck15.jpg

And the EV hunting rig

ghows-TX-10a3511f-28e3-4edd-9b5a-071002e04bb7-627c2f87.jpeg

The VM Motori diesel is crap from what I have read, and it has an automatic transmission
Well the four cylinder has been running in export wranglers for over ten years and the Chevy Colorado. The six cylinder version has been in the us quite a while. They make a lot of torque and return decent mileage. As for the automatic, that's just how it is now! I like stirring the gear shift as much as the next guy but my daily drivers are all autos now. They're better by far in every off road situation with locking converters, manual shift capability and hilll descent control. There isn't a single "perfect" vehicle out there. Sure the older mechanical diesels are great but try finding parts, especially for grey market cars.

This one:

Hefty build, unstoppable, armored, gun ports and the whole bubblegumteree. Look at the odometer, 347K carefully driven miles. Geared low, big Diesel engine, imagine the amount of fuel burned over the life of the vehicle. Looks good in the pictures, seat upholstery could use a bit of work.
Back to post #1, if you could get an old armored truck cheap, the removed body only would make a good walk-in gun safe in your garage.

Bruce

I would love to buy something like this and do nothing cosmetically to it. Then start dating women again just for the reaction when picking them up in it. Your average wallet shopper would most likely not be impressed.

"We are going someplace nice. Please dress appropriately."

In the early 80s, in my most 'active' years most of the vehicles I'd use to drive a date were not much better. Specifically, one was a beat up '64 Rambler with the hood tied down with rope and a piece of cardboard for drivers side glass. However, back then they were not as obsessed with your 1040k.

As I was waiting for said date, her roommate walked in and said, 'who parked that horrible piece of S in our spot!!?? "That would be me - over here".

Stweart Truck.jpg

From FB... "the story is: it lives in Crooksville, Ohio and its built off a shortened Tahoe chassis with a v8 and auto, but its not 4wd. Good job Taquito."

Not gonna lie, it looks heckuva fun to drive in.

I could see someone sticking an older Toyota pickup cab/nose onto a FJ type short chassis :s0140: FB_IMG_1718306082478.jpg FB_IMG_1718306086341.jpg FB_IMG_1718306078040.jpg

Edit. Someone says it looks like a Penny Racer toy; I see the resemblance :s0064: FB_IMG_1718306440223.jpg

Too big and too much $$ however living out of this thing wouldn't be a problem for me. Have had apts this size in my past. Another U-Joint setup rig.

Outlaw Ford.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top