JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is one bit of info that supposedly came from RCBS.

Special NECK SIZING DIES
I E-Mailed RCBS on December 12, 2004 and received the following response on December 15, 2004.

From an old #8 Speer Reloading Manual. You and other equipment manufacturers sell special NECK SIZING dies. Does this still apply to your equipment?

Neck Sizing is the term applied to the process of sizing only the neck of a case, with a special die which doesn't touch the shoulder or body of the case. Neck sizing does eliminate excessive working of the case shoulder and body but, also, may size the neck off-center and leave the body of the case too large to chamber. A better way to reduce excessive working of the case body and shoulder metal is to use a full length sizing die but, use it so it only sizes partially. To do this, the full length sizing die is backed out of the tool so that the shoulder is not touched by the die. This preserves the important head and shoulder dimension and still sizes the neck normally. The body of the case centers the neck in the die and is sized enough to make chambering fairly easy in a bolt action.
Back the die off at least 1/16th of an inch [About one complete turn.]
Many shooters adjust their dies so that only half of the neck is sized. This leaves enough tension to hold the bullet securely for target or varment shooting

The RCBS "Ask the Expert Forum's response was:
Yes, the necksizers only size the neck of the cases. And yes, there can be run-out after necksizing as there is nothing to support the base of the case - it just sizes the neck. AS FOR PARTIAL SIZING -- Many of our customers choose to do this - but, it is trial and error and sometimes the chamber v.s. die fit does not allow the reloader to partial size - they will not chamber afterwards.

Source: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/neck-sizing-with-a-full-length-die.254689/

I just set up my RCBS FL sizing die like this. I had the ram up, screwed the FL sizing die all the way to the shell holder then backed it off one full turn. I sized ten cases that I fired in my bolt rifle yesterday. The neck appears to be tight. I will seat a bullet in a mock up round and crimp it. Then I will see if it will chamber in my rifle.

If this works, it will save me some trouble. I can get by with less cleaning, lubing, and maybe the brass will last longer. There should be less chance of getting a case stuck in the die too.

I seated a 75 BTHP in the mock up case and it holds the bullet tight. It also chambers just fine from the magazine and single feeding it. If I single feed them I could probably skip the crimping too.

I am going to load up 50 with the same bullet and charge load. I will do 25 with the partial sizing, no crimp and 25 with full sizing plus collet crimp. It will be interesting to see how the group sizes compare.

I single fed every round I shot through the Savage on Friday and I don't mind doing that.

Was accuracy worse or were there other issues?
I wouldn't say the accuracy was any better or worse, but the cases sometimes fit a little more snuggly than I'd have liked. Don't like the feeling of jamming the round into the chamber. Wasn't all rounds but enough for me to learn I don't prefer it.

To neck size with a full length sizer die, run the case into the die until the neck is almost completely sized, Marking the neck with a sharpie will show you how far the case is going into the die. I stopped probably about .050" before it touched the shoulder. Works fine, but a neck sizer die does the job a little more easily. I've only done this with bolt action rifles. Once more than just a couple of cases require more effort to chamber, it's time to full length resize.

I'm trying to neck size only my most recent cartridge, .38-40. I shoot this in both SAA and '92 Winchester carbine. These are of course a bottle neck cartridge, thin and weak at the mouth. Any ideas? I can full size but it does work the brass.

I'm trying to neck size only my most recent cartridge, .38-40. I shoot this in both SAA and '92 Winchester carbine. These are of course a bottle neck cartridge, thin and weak at the mouth. Any ideas? I can full size but it does work the brass.
See the post above yours. Should work just as well on a 38-40, and I doubt you'll find a neck sizer die for that cartridge.

Good info in this thread. This is especially important for those of us reloading something like the 303 British where you want to avoid sizing anything but the neck once the case has been fire formed to your rifle.

You're looking at problems with each additional loading if you're only neck sizing. At some point it won't chamber reliably.

I've done neck sizing only and personally, I prefer to full length size but only bump the shoulder back .001"-.003" depending on the platform. This way you're not over working the brass and you're creating an exact with each resize.

You're looking at problems with each additional loading if you're only neck sizing. At some point it won't chamber reliably.

I've done neck sizing only and personally, I prefer to full length size but only bump the shoulder back .001"-.003" depending on the platform. This way you're not over working the brass and you're creating an exact with each resize.
True, when you start having those issues an occasional full resize is needed and yes being careful to limit the amount of shoulder bump back to those numbers is a very good idea. The point RCBS made is a good one as it allows you to keep your neck centered as well.

The problem I had with neck sizing was I have several guns in the same caliber. all of my reloads had to be kept in boxes that identified the rifle they were fired in. and in 223 neck sizing only works in bolt action and single shot guns. It became so much easier to full length size everything and have 223 that any box on the shelf would work in any gun in the safe.

In my family we have 7 30-30 rifles. I found the tightest chamber and set my dies to easily chamber a full-length sized case. now the shoulder is only bumped back enough to fit in every chamber. My brass lasts longer, and my reloads fit in every gun. when I was trying neck sizing, I had tons of loaded ammo on the shelf but only a small amount that would fit each gun. This only worked in calibers that I only own one gun. DR

If your going to do this might as well learn how to bump the case shoulder back only .002" at the same time.
That way you'll never have to occasionally fully resize the case for longer case life.

If your going to do this might as well learn how to bump the case shoulder back only .002" at the same time.
That way you'll never have to occasionally fully resize the case for longer case life.
One side to this that hasn't been stated. You won't stick a brass in a neck sizer die.
I have both dies for my 30-06AI, neck only and full length. I only have one 30-06AI rifle so I don't have to worry about cross fitment.
I pretty much decided to only neck size these brass anymore. I've found that by the time they grow enough to require the shoulder to be pushed back, noted by the force needed to close the action, the case is going to pull apart soon and it's time for the scrap bin. In my instance, the dies overwork the base of the brass and that bothers me more than the length. I believe that by keeping the shell within a close tolerance to the chamber that the brass will be worked less than by resizing.
This is a bolt action hunting rifle that sees few shots a year unless developing a new load and this method works well for me.

With any other rifle/cartridge I'm most likely to do the partial method with a full length die. the only rifle I can't do that with is the 7mm-08 my wife has, but I think that's because of the die I use itself. I had to trim the base of the die to allow it to size the case enough to chamber. for some reason it compresses the case enough that it grows during the first part of the resize. Actually, I quit loading for that rifle. It may shoot 4 rounds a year, last year only one. (dead deer) I just buy ammo for her.

I bought lee neck sizers for a few cartridges. I am not thrilled about how they work, but they will size the neck.
I prefer true neck sizers, where I can also bump the shoulder as I size it.
I have both bushing and fixed diameter neck sizer dies. I really cannot tell the difference between the sized cartridge, and frankly don't mess with tension where I will need a bushing change.
Like @dangerranger60 , I have three different instances of multiple guns in the same cartridge. It's a PITA to track them when using neck sizing, but IMO worth it.

I saw a youtube once (which I can't find this morning) of a guy wandering around at a major long range match asking the best shooters if they full length sized or neck sized. Almost all of them said they full length size..

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top