JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I joined as a REI co-op member in ~1981, purchasing via mail order. I loved it when the newsprint catalog would arrive by mail.
Their prices got too high for me and when I moved to Oregon, I discovered Next Adventure.
When at any REI store, I do speak Chinese at the prices, using words like "ho lee fuk" and what not.

I've never been to China, but judging by all the plastic consumer goods that come out of that country, I'd guess Cabela's smells more like China.
Nope. Sewer gas, rotting flesh (durian), and chemical burns in your lungs. That's China.

Edit to add:
Like others mentioned here, there was a time when you could get superb outdoor gear from Eddie Bauer or LL Bean. Not so much at EB anymore, but any gear from LL Bean, if it didn't hold up, you could return it. Still can, too.
I may complain about the prices, but I cannot remember a time when any climbing gear could be had for cheap. Helmets, packs, ropes, chocks, cams, pitons, axes, smear shoes, etc, nothing was cheap, and crappy gear could kill you.

Last Edited:
I considered that interpretation, but with what I consider a very extensive firearms selection at Cabelas I disassociated that first clause with the remainder of the sentence because I didn't think it would be possible that they didn't have a gun that "worked for you. and how you hunt;" I figured you only meant "items or gear".

So ... what kind of guns did Cabelas not have that worked for you and your hunt? Something like a Hawken (Jeremiah Johnson) or a Sharps (Quigley) ?
I like lots of different firearms...other than the two that you mentioned.
What Cabelas normally carries as new , in stock firearms...don't interest me...what they carry , as a general rule in their used / trade in / gun library...
I already have or have owned...don't interest me...or can afford.

Andy

Last Edited:
I considered that interpretation, but with what I consider a very extensive firearms selection at Cabelas I disassociated that first clause with the remainder of the sentence because I didn't think it would be possible that they didn't have a gun that "worked for you. and how you hunt;" I figured you only meant "items or gear".

So ... what kind of guns did Cabelas not have that worked for you and your hunt? Something like a Hawken (Jeremiah Johnson) or a Sharps (Quigley) ?
Heck, I read it both ways and agreed. Last time I was in Cabela's I didn't see anything on the shelf I would remotely consider an actual gun. :s0140:

I was a member of REI back in the '70s when they were an actual co-op. They have changed so much from their original mission that I bought less and less and then they went full Eddie Bauer.

Eddie Bauer used to be a top notch outfitter you would choose for major expeditions or if you wanted high quality gear that was up for anything. The rich wannabees glommed on and then the real stuff slowly went away as they catered to their new brand label market.

REI went the same way to a large extent but still focused on outdoor gear. I became increasingly uncomfortable in their stores as I don't fit their increasingly snobby customer expectation. A few years back one of our forum members was treated badly by them as he did not fit in to the urban yuppie model so I resigned my near 50 year membership in writing citing why. Their response was to simply reply that my request had been granted. No reflection whatsoever on losing a near 50 year customer. Effem. There are plenty of other places to get gear.
More to your point, I believe the form CEO of Eddie Bauer that ruined that brand is now running Filson doing the same thing. .

I like lots of different firearms...other than the two that you mentioned.
What Cabelas normally carries as new , in stock firearms...don't interest me...what they carry , as a general rule in their used / trade in / gun library...
I already have or have owned...don't interest me...or can afford.

Andy
You're the champ at using ellipses. I figure you must buy them in quantity at Costco. :)

Life long GoyGunion and rabid outdoors kinda dude, so REI and I go a LONG ways back, used to be one of the better places to get good stuff at reasonable prices, back when White Stage was actually good, and you got it at REI! Being Orygunion, we also had other choices, Next Adventure, Andy and Bax, The Mountain Shop, Portland Outdoors, Larry's and G.I. Joe's! It was an Outdoorsman's Paradise until it all started to change! About the Middle 90's I noticed an increase in Cheap crap stuff started showing up at these places, I knew I could still get good gear and such at the Mountain Store and Next Adventure, but I was shocked when it started to show up as REI! I Now, speaking specifically of REI, NO two Stores are the same, the company used to be very specific to each state they had stores in, as an example, the REI store in Fairbanks Alaska is NOT the same as DownTown Portland ot the Mothership store in Seattle, NO, in Fairbanks, you could actually still get REALLY good high end gear, were talking Northface's Professional Artic gear, Canada Goose, Wiggy, Marmot, Salewa, and so much more, gear you could expect to find in Argentina or the Italian Alps, or you had to know about and be willing to order and take your chances!
my last trip to Fairbanks was 2018 and so we stopped into the REI and had a look around, prices were super high, selection was way down, and they were pushing a lot of cheap crap, made in Malaysia or the Philippines, you could still get Helly Hanson, or Canada Goose, but ether artic rated jacket was now up over $1300.00 U.S. Holy Crap, when did Bidenflation come to Fairbanks, granted it has always been one of the most expensive cities in the United States, but holy hell Batman!
I visited REI in Seattle afterward, and I was NOT IMPRESSED at all, a bunch of over priced, over stuffed, Cheap-O Crap, it's like the Bad old days when G.I. Joes went in the tank, and I'm not the least bit surprised, Go Woke, Go Broke, if you cant maintain an image you worked really hard to establish, then you deserve everything that happens!

It's fun to ask the hairy, smelly hippie chick behind the counter at REI where the assaulty weapons, mega-high-capacity magazines and ammo with dinosaur piercing bullets are located.
Only if you follow up by asking her, "Didn't I see you at the Pride Parade yesterday?"

I've been a member of REI for many years. I too have been disappointed by the culture shift in its stores over the past 20 years. Last time I was in an REI, I wondered if they ever sold any bicycles or kayaks, the prices were way outrageous. On another note, I was in the Lacey Cabelas this morning and found a rifle I was looking for, $100 less than my LGS said they could order it for...

Life long GoyGunion and rabid outdoors kinda dude, so REI and I go a LONG ways back, used to be one of the better places to get good stuff at reasonable prices, back when White Stage was actually good, and you got it at REI! Being Orygunion, we also had other choices, Next Adventure, Andy and Bax, The Mountain Shop, Portland Outdoors, Larry's and G.I. Joe's! It was an Outdoorsman's Paradise until it all started to change! About the Middle 90's I noticed an increase in Cheap crap stuff started showing up at these places, I knew I could still get good gear and such at the Mountain Store and Next Adventure, but I was shocked when it started to show up as REI! I Now, speaking specifically of REI, NO two Stores are the same, the company used to be very specific to each state they had stores in, as an example, the REI store in Fairbanks Alaska is NOT the same as DownTown Portland ot the Mothership store in Seattle, NO, in Fairbanks, you could actually still get REALLY good high end gear, were talking Northface's Professional Artic gear, Canada Goose, Wiggy, Marmot, Salewa, and so much more, gear you could expect to find in Argentina or the Italian Alps, or you had to know about and be willing to order and take your chances!
my last trip to Fairbanks was 2018 and so we stopped into the REI and had a look around, prices were super high, selection was way down, and they were pushing a lot of cheap crap, made in Malaysia or the Philippines, you could still get Helly Hanson, or Canada Goose, but ether artic rated jacket was now up over $1300.00 U.S. Holy Crap, when did Bidenflation come to Fairbanks, granted it has always been one of the most expensive cities in the United States, but holy hell Batman!
I visited REI in Seattle afterward, and I was NOT IMPRESSED at all, a bunch of over priced, over stuffed, Cheap-O Crap, it's like the Bad old days when G.I. Joes went in the tank, and I'm not the least bit surprised, Go Woke, Go Broke, if you cant maintain an image you worked really hard to establish, then you deserve everything that happens!
I wonder how many time we crossed paths back in the day - you listed all my old Portland gear hangouts. Believe it or not about half the stuff I took to Nepal came from Andy and Bax and most of the rest came from GI Joes. When I snuck briefly into China (BIG no go those days) it was ironically US made gear showing up there instead of today's avalanche of the exact opposite. BTW, still have the backpack and the frame is every bit as good today as it was then.

Last Edited:
I remember back in the day when I first became a member of REI (member 2445xx) seeing military surpluss items for sale.:)
Gave up on REI over 30 years ago, high prices and culturel shifts caused them tobe a no shop zone.:s0158:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top