JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question in title.

For me, I don't use firearms in my line of work and I very rarely depend on them for self defense purposes. I would say 95+% of my firearm usage is for entertainment purposes. They don't have to be practical or have a specific purpose to be included in my collection.

Last Edited:
I'm a straight up gangster and use my gatt daily in my 'work'. It's not entertainment, it's just the life I have to live. Every time I have to bust a cap it is in 'self defense' according to my lawyer.

That's really all I can say on the matter…. I may have said too much.

With the exception of some black powder competition for a couple years in the early 1970s, I have not owned or used any firearms just for entertainment.

Initially, I owned firearms only as tools for hunting. I started my collection in 1956 at age 12 by rebuilding a 20 gauge for hunting rabbits and game birds. Over the next decade I added a 22 for squirrels and deer rifles for whitetails.

Hunting did not remain my focus. Over the following 25 years, I sold all my hunting firearms and replaced them with a series of handguns and long guns specifically for home & self defense. Although I now own more firearms than ever in the past, I had to borrow a 30-30 rifle in 2004 when I last went hunting.

Only had to use one for defense couple times. Always carry of course. Most of the guns I have are just for "fun". Any of them could of course be put in service if push came to shove but, a lot of them are only there for fun. The damn laws making selling such a PITA have me owning more guns at one time than I ever thought I would. Something for the kids to deal with when we shuffle off I guess :s0140:

I enjoy all of my firearms for many different reasons.
Just as i enjoy using firearms for many different reasons.

Limiting a firearm's usage or purpose ...or limiting your reasons for owning firearms ...is just that... limiting.
And ironically limits are what anti-gunners are all about

It seems to me that...
Owning firearms is a very subjective and personal thing.
And there are as many reasons / usages of firearms as there are firearm owners.

I do agree that it seems like here at NWFA there is a big emphasis on firearms for defense of one kind or another.
Which is an extremely important aspect of owning firearms and the 2nd Amendment....
If not the most important aspect of the 2nd Amendment

However...having shot when it actually mattered on more than a few occasions , so to speak...
Has me...not as interested in the topics of firearms and defense.
Notice the me in the above.
The me here.....does not mean that I am "right"...or that others need to think the way I do.
It means that I feel a certain way...and have reasons that are important to me for doing so.

My favorite kind of shooting is shooting at the left over clay bird bits at the local shooting pit...
Or that odd colored rock or leaf there.
Hitting something that small at many different distances , in many different types of shooting light....
Does much to boost my confidence in my shooting ability.

My thoughts on firearm ownership are simple.
Own whatever firearms you wish...or don't own any as the case may be.
Just don't make that choice for others.

My thoughts on the usage of firearms are also simple...
Firearms are useful for many things.
It is not up to me or to anyone else to say what you should use them for.
All I ask is that you use them safely.

Again...
Notice the I , me and my statements....
Firearm ownership and usage is very personal and subjective.
What works and is 'right" for one person does not have to be the same for someone else.
Andy

Last Edited:
If I only looked at firearms as tools, I would have 3 or 4.
I like shooting. I like the challenge of each trigger pull sending the bullet where I want it to go. Even though I don't often do it, I like reloading.
I like the mechanics of things and own different types of guns.
The last couple of years have left me with less time for this "gun hobby", but I quite often get a chance to rip out 20-25 rounds out of one of my handguns when working our property. Not yesterday, but the day before. :)

Last Edited:
I own guns because I can. 'Merica duck yeah! I don't try too hard to categorize my firearms, at any given time any and or all could be called on to defend or feed me, shot at a course of fire for a score, used to play happy can or even as test fixtures in my ammo business. Sure some are better suited for one task or another but the bottom line is if someone kicked in my door and the first gun I could reach was my 300 win mag thats what I'd use. I'm sure a handgun on paper looks better but sometimes you've got to run with what you brung.

Sometimes you can find entertainment in defending yourself. The year was pre CHL in TX and I was 20 Years old. Landline rings at 3:30am. Alarm went off at Bloomingdales and alarm company can't reach LP Mgr. So they call me a lowly LP associate. I grab my fake Beretta 92, aka Taurus, and head out there. Met PD and they didn't say squat. Been carrying for over 30years now. Rocking the Girsan Hi Power clone now.

Gun ownership for me has always gone 'hand in hand' with my love and enjoyment of the outdoors.

Hunting was a primary interest long ago but not so much anymore, but I'll still go after varmints occasionally.

Regardless no matter what I am doing in the out of doors, guns are always are with me and often shooting takes place no matter what I am doing.

Because my gun interests are mostly traditional/historical I largely consider them as a form of sport/entertainment mostly.

I'm a straight up gangster and use my gatt daily in my 'work'. It's not entertainment, it's just the life I have to live. Every time I have to bust a cap it is in 'self defense' according to my lawyer.

That's really all I can say on the matter…. I may have said too much.
I hear you G. You live in Vancouver, I live in Gresham. It's hard out here.

Certain ones are strictly for defense, the rest are all entertainment. Maybe 6 pistols for that purpose. I'll carry others here and there.. but those 6 pistols are in my main rotation. I mean, I've got rifles and shotguns for those "scenarios" but hopefully that never ever happens. But it's nice to be proficient and prepared with them.

Everything else is just a toy.

The overwhelming purpose of our firearms is entertainment. Sure, there are some that are carry pieces and HD items. Yes, on occasion a firearm is used to dispatch a varmint or pest on our land. But the rest? Just because they're fun. Fun to shoot, fun to tinker on, fun history, etc. Even best case scenario, each of us has only a few short decades in this life, so it is an easy decision to enjoy when one can. To each their own. :)

A little bit from column A and also from column B. Some are intended strictly for things like concealed carry or home defense, but plenty (vast majority tbh) are just because they're fun, cool, historically interesting.

I have a variety of defensive tools in my toolbox, and started my life in the firearms culture being issued them for my jobs.

But now, I own most of my collection strictly for entertainment. Plinking, target shooting, hunting. Or just to look at and admire.

After the last knee replacement, my competition days are over, alas.

Still gonna be down at Gunsite later this fall though!

sig, the new hot potato! by whammo
Life is boring and without challenge if there is no risk ever. I accept that risk.

Hail SIG!

320s.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top