JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Your favorite shotgun chambering?

• Something really lil' (e.g., .22 WMR shot cartridge, 9㎜ Flobert, other garden guns, et al.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .410-bore

• 28-gauge

• 20-gauge

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 16-gauge

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 12-gauge

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • 10-gauge

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Something redonkulously big (e.g., 8-gauge, 4-gauge, punt gun, 40㎜ loaded with buck, et al.)

• Something else.

• Um ... eh (burp!), ma moth'r-n-law is the real bore.

• Total voters
.22 shotshells are a complete joke to me. .410 does so little I have no use for it. Like 20 gauge. Really like 12 gauge. Haven't shot 10 gauge since goose hunting as a kid. Both barrels at once with 12 gauge is fun. Rapid fire 20 round drums of 12 gauge is a riot.

To me the key with any shotgun with strong recoil is how you hold it. Weight forward with push-pull just like a pistol with shoulder used for stabilization, not to absorb much of any recoil, makes for a long day of fun shooting. Letting it slam into your shoulder makes for bruises and pain the next day. Hands forearms/arms are the shock absorbers for me, not shoulder. I wish I had known that when I did a lot of hunting as a kid.

Also good muzzle brake will reduce recoil by up to 70% which makes rapid fire a breeze.

Last Edited:
The 12 gauge is so versatile, especially if you reload. You can make light loads that shoot more like a 16 or 20 gauge or have a chambering that is much more like a 10 gauge. Options for defensive loads are available by about 20 to 1 compared to a 20 gauge. Of course ultimately, to each their own.

The 12 gauge is so versatile, especially if you reload. You can make light loads that shoot more like a 16 or 20 gauge or have a chambering that is much more like a 10 gauge. Options for defensive loads are available by about 20 to 1 compared to a 20 gauge. Of course ultimately, to each their own.
It's amazing some of the loads they have come up with. One I would like to try just for giggles is the HESH round. Kind of reminds me of those WWII german sniper explosive rounds. Just for novelty use I mean not defense. Skip to 3:22 mark to see it on cinder block, 6:20 mark for ballistic head (gruesomeness warning).

Also for break barrel guns, adapters can be an option for SHTF. Most calibers available including black powder. Some adapters can be rifled 5",8", 11?" long

53C96D8F-C793-4EDC-9EE9-19C30D6C1053.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR