JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't see any comment on the wax…
I'm not into shotshell reloading yet but ….. question…..
Wax is enough of a seal to get compression? Or is it this "over shot card" or the wad itself that makes the boom boom pressure?
I didn't think up this "technology" myself, I borrowed it from other shotgunners. The wax doesn't contribute to compression, its purpose is to hold the payload in place. You don't need to use much of it, just enough to seal the edges of the overshot card to the inside of the hull.

You ask a perfectly insightful question about compression. Shot shells work at much lower pressures than centerfires do. You need adequate compression / base wad sealing for the powder to burn properly. I apply a bit of pressure to every step of loading a shot shell, but not overly. When I seat the wad, I give it one single, very light tap on a flat punch. I tap and tamp the shot down by hand. By the time I've placed the card on top, I've tapped and tamped everything down, and I give a little pressure to the card itself before I apply the wax.

You know you've compressed a plastic wad too much when you can see the wad buckle inside the hull.

The use of full metal hulls was mentioned above. I've loaded full brass 20 ga. but it's a different process. You don't use plastic wads, rather "traditional" wad materials are used, similar to how paper hull shot shells were made. You need oversized wad materials for the gauge loaded; stuff made for paper hulls will not interchange directly. I found that getting enough compression for proper ignition in full brass hulls was more critical than when using plastic wads in plastic hulls.

I didn't think up this "technology" myself, I borrowed it from other shotgunners. The wax doesn't contribute to compression, its purpose is to hold the payload in place. You don't need to use much of it, just enough to seal the edges of the overshot card to the inside of the hull.

You ask a perfectly insightful question about compression. Shot shells work at much lower pressures than centerfires do. You need adequate compression / base wad sealing for the powder to burn properly. I apply a bit of pressure to every step of loading a shot shell, but not overly. When I seat the wad, I give it one single, very light tap on a flat punch. I tap and tamp the shot down by hand. By the time I've placed the card on top, I've tapped and tamped everything down, and I give a little pressure to the card itself before I apply the wax.

You know you've compressed a plastic wad too much when you can see the wad buckle inside the hull.

The use of full metal hulls was mentioned above. I've loaded full brass 20 ga. but it's a different process. You don't use plastic wads, rather "traditional" wad materials are used, similar to how paper hull shot shells were made. You need oversized wad materials for the gauge loaded; stuff made for paper hulls will not interchange directly. I found that getting enough compression for proper ignition in full brass hulls was more critical than when using plastic wads in plastic hulls.
Thank you very much

Depends. Do you want to tube feed them? Then no. Otherwise you sure can! You aren't going to use an overshot card or wax with a slug though.
Sweet… I figured they wouldn't handle much jostling around…. But the idea that I can put one together without a press is awesome!!! Thank you

So I could load 12g slugs without a crimp?
For slugs, I recommend a roll crimp tool. Wax sealing wouldn't be appropriate for most slug loads. You can reload slugs yourself very easily without a press. I like to use the kind that have the base wad attached, very simple to load.

Sweet… I figured they wouldn't handle much jostling around…. But the idea that I can put one together without a press is awesome!!! Thank you
Pretty simple and forgiving process if you only plan to hand load single shells. Might be better vids, but a for example.....

I mean... I can reload shells with a block of wood with a hole drilled in it... a poking stick, a dowel and a small rubber mallet, too, but.... the kits really make it easier, uniform, and can resize/shape and crimp that I can't do with a block of wood and a pok'in stick.:D I could star crimp them I guess, but doing it by hand without a guide/compression tube makes it pretty difficult and not at all consistent for tube feeding.
I should've stated from the beginning that my wax sealed .410's are strictly for shooting in a break-top, single barrel gun. I wouldn't try to use them in a pump except for maybe feeding into the chamber one at a time, by hand.

I've got roll crimping tools for 12, 20 and 28 gauge. I figured I'd pass on one for .410 and just use the wax on those, for the reason stated.

For 12 and 28 gauge, I only load specialty loads, by hand. I have a cheapy Lee Load All press for loading bird shot 20 ga. loads. I can decap all gauges on the Lee press.

I should've stated from the beginning that my wax sealed .410's are strictly for shooting in a break-top, single barrel gun. I wouldn't try to use them in a pump except for maybe feeding into the chamber one at a time, by hand.

I've got roll crimping tools for 12, 20 and 28 gauge. I figured I'd pass on one for .410 and just use the wax on those, for the reason stated.

For 12 and 28 gauge, I only load specialty loads, by hand. I have a cheapy Lee Load All press for loading bird shot 20 ga. loads. I can decap all gauges on the Lee press.
Well, yeah. Reading your process it was pretty obvious how you were using them. I was just commenting for others that might be reading, less familiar and the different requirements based on intended usage.

I guess one additional would be that even with reloading with the intent to hand load single shells it's a good idea to use them only in the firearm the hulls where originally fired from. If not, it's really a good idea to have the ability to resize/shape the brass before loading them into another firearm. There is a likelihood they may not seat properly and/or get jammed up real good after firing if you don't.

I guess one additional would be that even with reloading with the intent to hand load single shells it's a good idea to use them only in the firearm the hulls where originally fired from. If not, it's really a good idea to have the ability to resize/shape the brass before loading them into another firearm. There is a likelihood they may not seat properly and/or get jammed up real good after firing if you don't.
This is true. Thus far with my guns, I've never found it to be an issue when I was unable to resize the base. Maybe "gentlemen's guns" are made to tighter tolerances than the field type guns I've got.

So I could load 12g slugs without a crimp?
Here are some of the slugs that I've bought and used:

100 of the above go a long way.

The following I've loaded in 28 ga:

BPI used to sell Foster slugs for 28 ga, but no longer. I've used some 58 caliber black powder projectiles in 28 ga.

Maybe some folks are still finding .410., but I'm seeing an extreme scarcity from the sources I normally use, that usually have stuff when other places don't.

Very recently, I saw a Mossberg 500 .410 that I figured I should have. Fortunately I looked to see the availability of ammo. Zilch. Changed my mind in a hurry over this Mossberg.:eek:
SG has plenty of it. I have no idea if their price is "out of line" or not? Since I don't have anything using the round but they have plenty of it for sale.

Actually, they were the example of very little available.

My opinion... Tungsten at 8-bucks per round, triple-ought buck, and slugs does not equate to being available. :eek:
No idea what this stuff "normally goes for? Sam has it from .96, up to $2.50 a round with looks like 10 or 15 different choices. Everything from shot to slugs. Even the low end is not something I would want to burn through a lot of but, stuff is there if someone wants something in this Gage.

I didn't see any comment on the wax…
I'm not into shotshell reloading yet but ….. question…..
Wax is enough of a seal to get compression? Or is it this "over shot card" or the wad itself that makes the boom boom pressure?
They should be OK but in anything but a single-shot I'd make sure they'd hold together.

Actually, they were the example of very little available.

My opinion... Tungsten at 8-bucks per round, triple-ought buck, and slugs does not equate to being available. :eek:
I do not disagree that inventory and selection are slim. You had said - "if you're looking for 3 inch shells, good luck." I attempted to point you in the direction of 3" shells that were available. No worries, if they do not work for you or your budget. Good luck...

Win. Rem. and Fed. are running $1-$1.30 a shell online…fyi
Last gun show I went to, some old bird had some nice Remington high brass field loads, loose but nicely packed in sealed plastic bag, one dollar each, times 21. I bought them. Because even at that price, they have been difficult to find.

My experience loading .410 loads has the crimp being the most difficult to make a reliable shell.
I now use these to do a neat roll crimp over an overshot card.

it turns a hit or miss star crimp into a professional looking finished product. DR

Field report for the Couve and surrounding areas today. Almost no .410 ,and what I found was handgun specific and some 2 1/2" field loads. Price was not insane, but definitely easy to walk away from. The slight shocker was that 20ga was in short supply, and most of what I saw was crazy high.
Picked up a box of magtech 20ga birdshot just because I didn't know it existed. Promptly put it back down when I saw the $22 Price tag.