JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have a .410 shotgun (or handgun) and have looked for .410 bore shotgun shells, you know they are near impossible to find. When found, they are usually 2-1/2 inch shells, which is fine for most handgun applications. If you're looking for 3 inch shells, good luck.

Lately I decided to make some of my own. By hand. Because Lee has stated they won't make a cheap Load All in .410 because the cartridge is too small and fiddly. And, I'm not gonna invest a lot of money in a Mec, I just don't shoot all that many to justify the cost.

I've got a bottle of Win. 296 powder, which is a propellant of choice for .410. Which I already keep on hand for .357 and .44 Magnum rifle cartridges. I ordered a bag of general purpose wads and overshot cards from BPI. I had 209 primers already. I have a few still pictures that I took while doing this. Too bad I don't have a video, that would be better.

To start my experiment, I had about a dozen 3 inch fired hulls, Remington high brass. My plan was to not use a star or roll crimp to close the shell. More about that below. First, I decapped all the hulls using my Lee Load All in 20 gauge.

Next, I seated new primers using a bench top arbor press. The metal heads of the hulls didn't need resizing for the guns I'm going to shoot these in.

Next, I cut off the previously crimped end of the hull. Using a little meat saw with fine teeth that I rescued out of my mom's kitchen after she died. I don't know how old it is, but it was in her kitchen when I was single digit old.

PB080254.JPG

Next, I metered out 17.0 grains of powder into each hull. Following that, I inserted a plastic wad into each hull on top of the powder. I used a pencil to push the wad in. I tamped it down some, then gave each one a slight tap with a flat tipped punch and hammer to pack the wad into the powder.
PB080255.JPG

Since I'd trimmed the previously crimped end of the hull off, they no longer had the capacity for an 11/16 oz. payload. Instead, I loaded these to 2-1/2 inch data firing a half oz. payload of shot. Next time, I will trim less and see if I can get 11/16 oz. loaded. I weighed each load of shot on my little digital scale. I have a very old, tiny funnel that fits into the mouth of the hull to allow the shot to be poured in.

After I had the shot in the shells, I tamped it down lightly and carefully by hand with a punch, then installed a little overshot card on top. With the overshot cards in place, my method of closing the shell was melted candle wax poured on top of the card.

PB080256.JPG

A couple of the hull mouths are ragged. That's because I tried a hose cutter before I changed to the meat saw.

PB080257.JPG

I haven't fired any of these yet, but I'm certain that they will work well enough. I've loaded quite a few unconventional shot shells.

If you have a .410 shotgun (or handgun) and have looked for .410 bore shotgun shells, you know they are near impossible to find. When found, they are usually 2-1/2 inch shells, which is fine for most handgun applications. If you're looking for 3 inch shells, good luck.

You mean at LGS's? Maybe just not stocking much for lack of demand?

I haven't noticed any real shortages or difficulty in finding ammo. Or to say, not really any more difficult than other calibers these days. That said... I primarily purchase ammo online and very rarely ever look at local B&M outlets.

I did something similar when .410 was unobtainium.

But I went the brass case route (converted .303 Britt, 444 Marlin Magtech using LPPs).

It has been a fun experiment. Especially after I got a .390 round ball 2 cavity mold and some linotype.

I dont have a .410 pistol but if I did this 100% would be my go to load. I get 3 x 90 gr pellets in the converted cases and 4 in the Magtech. Alliant .410 has given me the best results so far.

I haven't noticed any real shortages or difficulty in finding ammo. Or to say, not really any more difficult than other calibers these days. That said... I primarily purchase ammo online and very rarely ever look at local B&M outlets.
Around here, 3 inch .410 birdshot shells have been very scarce on store shelves. 2-1/2 inch show up once in a while. In both lengths, very expensive. I've seen 3 inch at Sportsmans Warehouse a couple of times in the past year, Rem. was $27 for a box of 25.

A week ago, Midway didn't have any .410 birdshot rounds. Today, they have 3 in. Rem. #7-1/2 for $26, no 2-1/2 inch. All else (except specialty rounds) are empty set.

In contrast, there are tons of 12, 20, and 28 gauge shells on local store shelves. Target loads are reasonable, major brand field loads are up there. 16 is semi scarce. The steel shot loads I don't have an interest in.

Around here, 3 inch .410 birdshot shells have been very scarce on store shelves. 2-1/2 inch show up once in a while. In both lengths, very expensive. I've seen 3 inch at Sportsmans Warehouse a couple of times in the past year, Rem. was $27 for a box of 25.

A week ago, Midway didn't have any .410 birdshot rounds. Today, they have 3 in. Rem. #7-1/2 for $26, no 2-1/2 inch. All else (except specialty rounds) are empty set.

In contrast, there are tons of 12, 20, and 28 gauge shells on local store shelves. Target loads are reasonable, major brand field loads are up there. 16 is semi scarce. The steel shot loads I don't have an interest in.
I agree with you. .410 in general has always been more scarce than any of the main gauges... and... the prices have gotten way out of line the past few years. I mean, "cheap" these days for crap loads is easily over a buck a pop and anything semi-decent can easily push 2 or more. It's probably one of the least in demand though so it kind of makes sense.

I guess it just depends on where you shop. My "go-to" suppliers "seem" to be pretty much business as usual, but not to say there isn't "in general" more scarcity at the moment. I just haven't noticed.

I don't do a ton of shotshell reloading, but I did pick up a couple of those x-ring hand reloaders (12ga and 410ga). They actually do a really great job banging out a few shells here and there. Adding a roll crimper is a nice addition, but all in all it's a pretty cheap setup that does a better job than you might expect.

I picked up a single shot in 410 for my youngest son to start out with shotguns. He's a little undersized and it was a perfect fit for now. 410 was nowhere locally to be found so I keep watching the ads her and have a little stockpile now, at least enough to last him an afternoon or two.

I did something similar when .410 was unobtainium.

But I went the brass case route (converted .303 Britt, 444 Marlin Magtech using LPPs).

It has been a fun experiment. Especially after I got a .390 round ball 2 cavity mold and some linotype.

I dont have a .410 pistol but if I did this 100% would be my go to load. I get 3 x 90 gr pellets in the converted cases and 4 in the Magtech. Alliant .410 has given me the best results so far.
I would be really curious to get more info on your conversion.

I don't do a ton of shotshell reloading, but I did pick up a couple of those x-ring hand reloaders (12ga and 410ga). They actually do a really great job banging out a few shells here and there. Adding a roll crimper is a nice addition, but all in all it's a pretty cheap setup that does a better job than you might expect.
Those look okay to me but I'm able to do it without one.

Used to be, Lee made a Lee Loader kit but they've been discontinued for years and are now almost collector's items. RCBS made shotshell reloading kits that you could use on, say, a Rock Chucker press. I think those have been discontinued as well.

To seat the primer in a .410 hull, I use an old V-8 engine fuel pump push rod for a mandrel. Then I put it under an arbor press and push the primer in.

If I were to start saving empty hulls, would it be pointless to keep the pdx/hornady handgun stuff? They are noticeably different, but still seem like quality materials.
Keep them, they can be reloaded and don't take up much space.

I agree with you. .410 in general has always been more scarce than any of the main gauges...
Yes, .410 has always cost more than it should, it seems to me. Very true that it is probably least in demand of all the shot shells currently loaded in the US. At one time, 28 was almost dead but it came back to life when the new shotgun shooting sports became popular. Even before the current famine, I think .410 bore was a seasonal run in limited quantities and this was a major driver in price.

However, I've had a .410 gun for almost 60 years and many are the conversations I've had with gun shop owners. Such as:

Me: "How come .410 shells are a third the size of 12 gauge, yet cost three times as much??!"

Shop owner: "It's because of the law of supply and demand. There isn't as much demand for .410 as for 12 gauge."

Me: "Have you ever stopped to think that demand is low because of the higher price??!"

And so on.

I didn't see any comment on the wax…
I'm not into shotshell reloading yet but ….. question…..
Wax is enough of a seal to get compression? Or is it this "over shot card" or the wad itself that makes the boom boom pressure?

Very recently, I saw a Mossberg 500 .410 that I figured I should have. Fortunately I looked to see the availability of ammo. Zilch. Changed my mind in a hurry over this Mossberg
I've got four .410's these days, if I saw one come along that I liked for the right price, I'd still buy it. I used to have a Remington 870 in .410, probably should've kept it. In the 1990's, I admired the Winchester 9410, probably should've bought one of those and didn't. Now Henry makes a lever action .410 but I probably won't get one.

Those look okay to me but I'm able to do it without one.

Used to be, Lee made a Lee Loader kit but they've been discontinued for years and are now almost collector's items. RCBS made shotshell reloading kits that you could use on, say, a Rock Chucker press. I think those have been discontinued as well.
Yeah. The X-ring jobbies are just a modern version of the old lee loaders. A few improvements, but essentially the same difference.

I mean... I can reload shells with a block of wood with a hole drilled in it... a poking stick, a dowel and a small rubber mallet, too, but.... the kits really make it easier, uniform, and can resize/shape and crimp that I can't do with a block of wood and a pok'in stick.:D I could star crimp them I guess, but doing it by hand without a guide/compression tube makes it pretty difficult and not at all consistent for tube feeding.

The kit produces reliably feedable shells for my pump actions/etc that I haven't been successful with doing "field reloads". YMMV

I didn't see any comment on the wax…
I'm not into shotshell reloading yet but ….. question…..
Wax is enough of a seal to get compression? Or is it this "over shot card" or the wad itself that makes the boom boom pressure?
It's the wad or cup that makes the "compression chamber". Wax, overshot cards, etc. at the business end just act to keep the load uniformly in place or fill gaps between the load and crimp.