JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Box-fed Shotguns, Yea or Nay?

• Yes, absolutely!

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Maybe, I need more data.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No, not reliable enough or some other reason.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boxed when I was younger ... memory kind of hazy from then ... what were we talking about?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Box fed magazines on shotguns have been around for a while. However, they've always been a minority; the tube fed scattergun still reigns supreme. But technological advances march ever forward.

What say you: dandy idea or a bad call? Why? What box-fed shotguns do you like? Thanks for sharing.

I understand the idea and appeal of a box fed magazine shotgun...but not for me.
The 870 DM model I held...seemed awkward and clunky....
No real feeling of balance .

And while I get that it ain't for wingshooting grouse....
A shotgun that swings and points well...also works well for defensive purposes too.

I have shot some sort of AK47 style shotgun....
That handled better that the 870 DM...as well as better that I thought it would in the first place.
I did find it heavy however.

Not really my style of shotgun in any case.

So again....I get the idea...but not for me....
However if someone likes 'em....load 'em up and let the lead fly.... :D
Andy

I understand the idea and appeal of a box fed magazine shotgun...but not for me.
The 870 DM model I held...seemed awkward and clunky....
No real feeling of balance .

And while I get that it ain't for wingshooting grouse....
A shotgun that swings and points well...also works well for defensive purposes too.

That handled better that the 870 DM...as well as better that I thought it would in the first place.

Not really my style of shotgun in any case.

So again....I get the idea...but not for me....
However if someone likes 'em....load 'em up and let the lead fly.... :D
Andy
Yeah, what this guy said.

The Saiga I tried out just felt weird to me, kind of clunky. and it didn't cycle as fast as my Benelli. I also believe that switching to slugs is a lost faster and simpler with a tube-fed shotgun. I'm sticking with my Super-90.
YMMV

The only reason I would consider one, would be to have a short barreled shotgun that had higher capacity than could be achieved by a short barreled tube fed shotgun. I can't see myself ever being in a situation that I would need one....but I am pleased to see manufacturers are producing firearms for people other than MTpockets.
The one below will accept a 5, 10, or 12 round (plastic) magazine....
1706982122526.png

:eek: And what an ugly trigger-guard.

Last Edited:
I briefly owned a box fed Vepr-12 and that was amazing. Completely reliable with any load, I would trust it for home defense.

FWIW K-USA has their Saiga clone on sale right now. 2 mags + gun for $649.

While they often look fun the damn mags tend to be so big I suspect it would soon just sit in the safe. The one exception would be something like that Gen 12. Now that thing even though it would be pricey for the gun and the stamps? It looks like it would be wicked fun for a long time!

I've got pretty much every semi-auto shotgun you could want. The biggest issues I see are due to gassing. Being box fed just adds to the complexities. Once broke in and/or tuned, they run pretty good. Seems like all of them need some amount of break in. My vr80 needed about 100rds of break in with heavy loads, but so did my FN SLP.

Same...I have a cheap China knock off that shoots everything very well. I run a 5 round mag, because when I plug a 10 round mag it's so damn heavy I can't hold it up long enough to empty it.... :s0140:

With their capacity being very limited or if not limited, very heavy and the elimination of "top off" loading I don't see the point. You just don't get very much advantage to offset what I believe to be disadvantages. Now, a shotgun that can work with BOTH a box and tube magazine would be a handy thing for sure. Would let you pick whatever loading method worked best for you at any given time

Box fed magazines on shotguns have been around for a while. However, they've always been a minority; the tube fed scattergun still reigns supreme. But technological advances march ever forward.

What say you: dandy idea or a bad call? Why? What box-fed shotguns do you like? Thanks for sharing.
I've yet to try the mossberg model or conversion but really would like to try. The thing with my little turkey GFORCE (AR12) is its minimum 1400 fps or high brass requirement. Though it comes with 2 gas piston "standard" and "magnum" that has to be changed out in disassembly. I haven't needed magnum…. I'd imagine it's for the high powered 3" shells.

At first it was disappointing because I couldn't fire cheap target loads…….. but the paradigm has shifted with my reality. Since I discovered the myth of "high brass" and have tools and powder to convert 100 cheap shells (@$35) to whatever power I want with a little labor reloading. Roll crimp, cardboard 11/16" punch tool, lead molds and junk lead.

My 12g and.410 game has changed for the better.

I've been in love with the vepr 12 since I saw MACs review on it 8 years ago or so. Immediately got one. Have put hundreds of flawless rounds through it, target loads and buck shot. The 25 round drum is ridiculous. The ten round mags are the best in my opinion for size vs capacity. In these times it's a range toy but, it has serious potential in shtf scenarios for one man to create a ton of chaos!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews