JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Shotgun silencers; Yea or Nay?

• Yes! Very helpful, practical, or whatever!

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • For gee-whiz factor, maybe. Fun, perhaps, but of dubious practicality.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No, complete waste of time and money.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No idea.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz teh ques'n ehgain?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When you say "not super effective", what do you mean? No effect? Just takes the edge off? I just can't convince myself to take the plunge but I'd really like to fit one on my turkey gun.
The 1400+FPS 3" and 3.5" turkey loads are just too big of boomers for the suppressor to have any real effect on. It does help, but I don't think it's enough to make the extra length and weight worthwhile.

I've tried it on both my Beretta 1300 Comp with a 21" barrel and Beretta A400 with a 26" barrel.

This is also just "seat of the pants dyno" feedback. I haven't tested sound reduction with metrology or in a controlled environment.

I'm still glad I bought it though, It's fun on the Shockwave and 1300 just for putzing around in the backyard with.

I still need to get a choke adapter so I can use it on my Henry Single Shot. I suspect it would have the biggest impact on that gun.

Reno, USMC 1776 and Catherine 1 are no longer with us.
Not familiar with Catherine 1... but Reno and USMC1776 I was definitely familiar with. Too bad they're gone.

So, there are a handful of shotgun silencers on the US market at the present. What say you? Good idea or waste of time?
For me, I say suppress everything.

As far as shotguns go, I'm not well versed in suppressing them, but I would still say yes. What's surprising for me reading through the comments, is most are discussing typical shot shells. I would have thought slugs would be best, if not necessary, in a suppressed shotty. I'd be super leary of running bird or buck shot through a can.

Guess I have my homework for the next few days... đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

I'm still glad I bought it though, It's fun on the Shockwave and 1300 just for putzing around in the backyard with.
200.gif

Not familiar with Catherine 1... but Reno and USMC1776 I was definitely familiar with. Too bad they're gone.

For me, I say suppress everything.

As far as shotguns go, I'm not well versed in suppressing them, but I would still say yes. What's surprising for me reading through the comments, is most are discussing typical shot shells. I would have thought slugs would be best, if not necessary, in a suppressed shotty. I'd be super leary of running bird or buck shot through a can.

Guess I have my homework for the next few days... đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Most three gun shell tubes extend beyond the barrel, I wouldn't be worried about a baffle strike.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top