JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Excellent input one and all. FYSA, I'm in rural MT, if I'm getting out of the truck to solve a problem the rifle comes out too. In town, seeing a lever gun in line at the Bank is an every day occurance. Gone are the days of truck rifle racks, never even heard of a car breakin, it'd be a death sentence out here...
Too bad its not like that everywhere.

I always understood "truck gun" to mean something that stayed in your truck 24/7/365. On the floor behind the seat, buried under lug wrenches, Bungie cords, and cans of fix-a-flat. Something you could plink with out in the middle of nowhere, dispatch an injured animal, stuff like that. So rolling up on a situation or dealing with perps wasn't really a factor. That would be where your concealed carry piece would come into play. And I had just such a setup for about the last 10 years I lived in Idaho - a Savage 24 .22lr/.410, buried deep behind the seat along with a .30 cal. ammo can of .22 & .410 ammunition.
However, now - with the absolute epidemic of car break-ins (and that's assuming the whole vehicle doesn't get stolen!), coupled with the new "stolen gun prompt reporting" laws, the whole concept of the traditional "truck gun" just doesn't make sense anymore. I don't even feel comfortable about leaving a set of cheap jumper cables in my truck anymore, let alone a firearm! Best to just carry on your person - and worry about your HOUSE getting broken into.
Agreed.

Truck gun to me has always been something that lives in the vehicle 24/7 and is something substantial for the absolute worst of situations. Definitely a compact rifle chambered in a rifle caliber.

My problem, like yours, is I just can't get comfortable with storing it 24/7 due to the increasing crime rate. If I were to keep an actual truck gun, I would absolutely install a beefed up safe.

I will, however, still carry a rifle in the truck on very limited occasions but it always gets taken out at the end of the day.

Ive also always thought of a truck gun as one that lived in the truck and you didn't care "as much" if it got stolen you'd get another one. A truck gun used to be a practical thing in the days before CHLs were needed just to legally get around with a handgun and people didnt freak out at the mere sight. It was there if needed, mostly forgotten when not and occasionally provided some fun impromptu plinking or hunting. Many many years ago I had such a truck gun, (but at the time I didn't know I would care if it got stolen. It never did thankfully), and one day I did need it but thankfully only reaching for it solved the problem. Times and laws change and its not reasonable in most places to keep a truck gun anymore, I suppose I wouldn't care if a Hi Point got stolen but nowadays the risk of theft is too great even for one of those.

I have a truck gun meaning ...it stays in the truck. Like all the time. I might or might not have a carry gun on me but the truck gun stays there. Even worse... Its an SBR . Loaded,

I had a truck gun. It was a generic AR that lived in a compartment in my vehicle. I took my truck in at the last minute to get some work done to it at a trusted place. At the last minute I removed the AR from the truck. Don't know why I did it, but glad I did. My truck got broken into that night.
There were a number of items taken. Fortunately the shop let me take my time to inventory everything and see what was missing. I sent the list to them with replacement prices on everything. They wrote me a check, no questions asked. They did right by me, and I'm glad I didn't leave the AR in there.

I keep my GP100 and an old .357 lever rifle in my truck 24/7 but tend to take the box of ammo out of the vehicle at night. Both guns function extremely well but are pretty rough and heavily used.

My truck had been broken into a few times when I lived in Yakima of course. They never took the gun . Either because they had grabbed the wallet first and just took off or didn't see the gun,
I'd find the credit cards on my neighbors lawn . Every time .

New truck gun on the way. Fireballs to disperse the mob! :s0111: :s0112:

IMG_7255.jpeg
Size compared to mp5
IMG_7256.jpeg

Last Edited:
I don't know why so many people think that if you live in the city you have to leave your truck gun in the truck overnight.
To me the idea of a truck gun is the convenience of leaving it in there. But I get your point.
IMO what ruined the whole truck gun concept was the BGC and AWB laws, jacked the prices of even cheap used guns way up above the threshold of risking theft. I can remember when SKSs were about 200, the perfect truck gun. If I had an SKS today theres no way Id leave it in a truck, worth about 1000.

I don't know why so many people think that if you live in the city you have to leave your truck gun in the truck overnight.
So that when you shoot them in your driveway they have a gun in their hand so self defense. Yep that's me, nothing but ideas, some of them even good. Maybe not this one though:s0092:

To me the idea of a truck gun is the convenience of leaving it in there. But I get your point.
IMO what ruined the whole truck gun concept was the BGC and AWB laws, jacked the prices of even cheap used guns way up above the threshold of risking theft. I can remember when SKSs were about 200, the perfect truck gun. If I had an SKS today theres no way Id leave it in a truck, worth about 1000.
The whole money and gun correlation stopped having any significance a long time ago.

Seems all of you would be outgunned when in Seattle. Perhaps not go, or trade in the truck for something armored.

He had 2 handguns in his vehicle. I would have him outgunned with any of the truck guns I use. The other guns were in the 5th wheel he lived in.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top