JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at a hunting trip a few states over. If I go, I'm thinking I will do it in 2 overnight stops to get there. I would be bringing two rifles in a double rifle case. I was just curious if those of you who travel bring your rifle cases into the hotel at night?

I have a pickup with a locking metal canopy. One friend suggested just stashing it in the front of the bed under stuff. Another friend suggested just hauling them into the hotel through a side door.

Years ago, no one cared. Now I wonder if old ladies will scream and faint in the lobby if they see a rifle case.

What do you guys do? Thanks!

Bring it inside. Put music stickers on it so the old ladies think it is a keyboard case.

Bruce

Last Edited:
If it's a soft sided case I'd stash it or buy a cheap large (easy to get on Amazon) duffel bag to put it in.

If a hard sided case, say it's for an electric guitar or anything like that. My case for my nicest guitar looks like a rifle case unless your a big gun or guitar guy.

Or even say that it holds sensitive electronics testing equipment - hardly anyone will be able to say otherwise and even then not really if it is a pelican case.

If it's a soft sided case I'd stash it or buy a cheap large (easy to get on Amazon) duffel bag to put it in.

If a hard sided case, say it's for an electric guitar or anything like that. My case for my nicest guitar looks like a rifle case unless your a big gun or guitar guy.

Or even say that it holds sensitive electronics testing equipment - hardly anyone will be able to say otherwise and even then not really if it is a pelican case.
I was planning on taking a double rifle Pelican hard case. Heavy but I thought it would protect the scopes better. But putting them into soft cases and then into a large duffel is an interesting idea. I have both. I think I'll see how it fits.

I flew a couple years ago with that double rifle hard case. I could feel eyes watching me in the airport but no one was pointing or calling the police. Just wanted a pulse on hotels.

Thanks!

When I stayed at a hotel (pre Vegas shooting), I bought in many firearms right through the lobby. Granted, they were broken down and stuffed into suit cases, but still. It's not hard to sneak em in and probably not illegal. At least, there were no signs saying I couldn't...
Just get the rolling cart thingy, put the rifle on the bottom and a bunch of other stuff on top.

When I stayed at a hotel (pre Vegas shooting), I bought in many firearms right through the lobby. Granted, they were broken down and stuffed into suit cases, but still. It's not hard to sneak em in and probably not illegal. At least, there were no signs saying I couldn't...
Just get the rolling cart thingy, put the rifle on the bottom and a bunch of other stuff on top.
Yeah, that's what one buddy suggested. I'll be taking a carryon with my clothes and a small cooler. So this old man is definitely grabbing a cart.

Thanks

What kind of hotels or motels will you be staying at? Will you have to haul yer stuff through a lobby?
Haven't quite got that far in planning yet. But it won't be Motel 6 or other cheap places. I can't sleep in those places and thankfully can afford better these days. I figure most hotels will have a lobby.

I would try to look for a side door to come in. They probably have a camera watching the door but I just don't want to draw attention or cause drama.

Bring it inside. Put music stickers on it so the old ladies think it is a keyboard case.

Bruce
That's a good idea. I think I will spray paint my 9mm plinker case, stencil paint "KORG" on it, and go to Guitar Center and pick up a bunch of cheesy music stickers, to make it look like a gig case.

An Aretha Franklin sticker should deter most thieves, LOL: https://www.guitarcenter.com/CD-Visionary/Aretha-Franklin-Sticker-1500000362223.gc

Plinker Case.jpg

I have used a zip up suit bag over my gun case. with a really sturdy wooden hanger I hung two soft rifle cases and an over coat over the cases, then zipped the bag over that. This was before Las Vegas mass shooting though. DR

If it were me I would put the hard case in one of these (or a similar normal looking bag duffle like joe13 said is great if it's long enough) and carry it in and out through a side door. That way even those watching security cameras won't freak out cuz it looks normal. Can hang on cart.

885589A5-B73D-48C5-A761-AD50B297F15F.jpeg

As a golfer, I have a hard-sided travel case that my golf bag goes into.

vault.jpg

It has wheels. You might be able to find a used one for $50 - $75. No avid golfer is going to leave his clubs in the car overnight.

That garment bag seems like a pretty good idea too.

As a golfer, I have a hard-sided travel case that my golf bag goes into.

View attachment 1880869

It has wheels. You might be able to find a used one for $50 - $75. No avid golfer is going to leave his clubs in the car overnight.

That garment bag seems like a pretty good idea too.
I never figured you for a lover of playing pasture pool!

I can picture the chicanery of you out there on the green right now…… beer on tap in the bag.

IMG_2425.jpeg

I just traveled with a rifle. Checked into the hotel. Walked back in through the lobby without question.
Your hotel is your residence and as such can not prevent you from having your firearms.

I find it mostly depends on the state your traveling through! As long as I stay out of Wet Coast states, no one looks or says anything, and the staff hardly bat an eye! I spend a lot of time in Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico, and have never had issues, even the cheaper hotel's, I'm usually more worried about my SUV getting jacked then my guns from my hotel room! Last trip through Cali, Got stopped by CHP, they asked if I had any firearms, and said YUP, locked and un loaded and the ammo is stashed elsewhere, they didn't ask to look or confirm anything, just gave me a warning for speeding and sent me on my way! I do carry CA legal arms when forced to travel through, might as well be safe rather then get harassed for something so damn stupid! I usually carry in a Voodoo Tactical double soft case, Almost always my AR and FAL! For Cali, a Winchester 95 and a 1911 is my standard!

Your hotel is your residence and as such can not prevent you from having your firearms.
Not true. Private property can bar you. On top of that, trespassing can turn into trespassing with a firearm, which can be enough to bar you from concealed carry permits and firearm purchases depending on the state.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads