JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally! Four years later!

I received the newsletter from ODF today and it officially announces the opening of the North Block of the Santiam State Forest. It opens June 21st!

So we can now use the 'New'-old gravel pit that was improved for a 100 yard range back in 2020.

Here's the link to the official announcement... (NOTE: I am really SURPRISED that ODF mentioned Trash No Land, in that article, much less the target shooting lane! Wow! Forest agencies don't ever say anything that has to do with 'guns in the woods'!)

Here's a snippet from the announcement: "The 100-yard shooting range was a joint project with Trash No-Land," said Offer. The non-profit dedicated to responsible target shoot works to improve safety and reduce fire risks at dispersed ranges across the state. Funding for the improvements came from the NRA's Public Range Fund. The range is located on Butte Creek 615 Road just off the Butte Creek Mainline Road. A new gravel backdrop, concrete barriers at approximately 100-yards, parking and new informational signs were all part of the improvements at the former gravel pit."

Full Story:
Butte Creek Falls state forests recreation area to reopen after the 2020 wildfires

I heard the pit was to open soon, and I thought it was supposed to be 2 weekends ago, so I went out to see the condition. I made it straight there, made this video, and on the way out, I stopped to talk with one of the loggers. He said no, it's still closed for 2 more weeks! OPPS! I wasn't supposed to be there!

Oh well, what's done is done! And I got to christen the lane!

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/XSnxdc6O0uI
" title="BC615 Shooting Lane Opens June 21st, 2024!!!" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No sneaking in before Friday! The gates will still be locked before then!

Bill

Finally! Four years later!

I received the newsletter from ODF today and it officially announces the opening of the North Block of the Santiam State Forest. It opens June 21st!

So we can now use the 'New'-old gravel pit that was improved for a 100 yard range back in 2020.

Here's the link to the official announcement... (NOTE: I am really SURPRISED that ODF mentioned Trash No Land, in that article, much less the target shooting lane! Wow! Forest agencies don't ever say anything that has to do with 'guns in the woods'!)

Here's a snippet from the announcement: "The 100-yard shooting range was a joint project with Trash No-Land," said Offer. The non-profit dedicated to responsible target shoot works to improve safety and reduce fire risks at dispersed ranges across the state. Funding for the improvements came from the NRA's Public Range Fund. The range is located on Butte Creek 615 Road just off the Butte Creek Mainline Road. A new gravel backdrop, concrete barriers at approximately 100-yards, parking and new informational signs were all part of the improvements at the former gravel pit."

Full Story:
Butte Creek Falls state forests recreation area to reopen after the 2020 wildfires

I heard the pit was to open soon, and I thought it was supposed to be 2 weekends ago, so I went out to see the condition. I made it straight there, made this video, and on the way out, I stopped to talk with one of the loggers. He said no, it's still closed for 2 more weeks! OPPS! I wasn't supposed to be there!

Oh well, what's done is done! And I got to christen the lane!

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/XSnxdc6O0uI
" title="BC615 Shooting Lane Opens June 21st, 2024!!!" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No sneaking in before Friday! The gates will still be locked before then!

Bill
That's why I always carry several master key options…. :D

Nice to have a place close by again.
I was out there Sunday with no one else there, should have waited but was itching to go.
Pretty much just pistol work as visibility was good for about 50 yards then the targets disappeared in the fog.

Nice to have a place close by again.
I was out there Sunday with no one else there, should have waited but was itching to go.
Pretty much just pistol work as visibility was good for about 50 yards then the targets disappeared in the fog.
Wow. I thought by Sunday, it might be like another Wolf Creek lanes! Busy! That's nice though. Sorry bout the fog. I guess I didn't tip the weatherman enough to cover the Santiam (I paid plenty for the nice weather we had up in Sultan Basin WA! Did a cleanup there last Sunday at a nice 100+ yard lane.)

It was raining when I left, I didn't figure it was going to get better.
Wrong boots too, got drenched from the knees down walking through the grass.
Made for cool looking vapor trails when prone.

Looks like people have been going just past the first gate to shoot, big pile of hulls at the first spot, starting to look like Browns Camp.

Went out there Saturday afternoon and passed no less then 10 groups shooting on the road in. Got to the Pit 615 and it was empty. Shot a couple mags, picked up some brass (there wasn't much of anything there). Cool spot, will be back.

Nate

Went out there Saturday afternoon and passed no less then 10 groups shooting on the road in. Got to the Pit 615 and it was empty. Shot a couple mags, picked up some brass (there wasn't much of anything there). Cool spot, will be back.

Nate
Thanks for the report.

Yeah, I always see people shooting where you enter the forest from Family Camp Rd. Not a good place to shoot. There used to be no shooting signs there, but for the life of me I can't imagine what may have happened to them.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top