JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Ruger Police Service Six, .357 Magnum, four inch bbl. a few months ago. In the 1980's, I had a Security Six, the one with adjustable sights. As I recall, the Security Six had wooden grips from the factory, as does the Police Service Six. I don't think the Security Six had target grips, just service stocks. And I also don't remember the bite that I'm now getting in the heel of my palm when shooting .357 rounds. Could be an age difference of 40 years, I guess. To remedy this problem, I just sent for a pair of Pachmayr rubber grips. Which I have had on my Smith & Wesson Model 28 for decades.

P2190531.JPG

The new grips for the Ruger will look like this, minus the brass Pachmayr medallion:
s&w m28 jv &grs.JPG

I still have the original factory stocks for the Smith & Wesson in the box the gun came in, but they aren't comfortable for shooting .357 Magnum.

I bought a Ruger Police Service Six, .357 Magnum, four inch bbl. a few months ago. In the 1980's, I had a Security Six, the one with adjustable sights. As I recall, the Security Six had wooden grips from the factory, as does the Police Service Six. I don't think the Security Six had target grips, just service stocks. And I also don't remember the bite that I'm now getting in the heel of my palm when shooting .357 rounds. Could be an age difference of 40 years, I guess. To remedy this problem, I just sent for a pair of Pachmayr rubber grips. Which I have had on my Smith & Wesson Model 28 for decades.

View attachment 1877216

The new grips for the Ruger will look like this, minus the brass Pachmayr medallion:
View attachment 1877217

I still have the original factory stocks for the Smith & Wesson in the box the gun came in, but they aren't comfortable for shooting .357 Magnum.
Those are the Presentation Pachmayr grips. They make others that soak up recoil and prevent the gun from rolling in your hand. I love Pachmayr grips and have several for my stainless 6" Security Six and a bunch for my Ruger Redhawk 7.5".

In the 1980's, I had a Security Six, the one with adjustable sights. As I recall, the Security Six had wooden grips
SO did I about the same time - and I THINK it might have been the first one off the line at the factory!

Bluing was pretty well worn and the gun was moderately loose !

Oddly I discovered I still had the wood grips from it just a couple years ago and posted them on Ebay - and got $50 for them!

SO did I about the same time - and I THINK it might have been the first one off the line at the factory!
The one that I had in the 1980's was stainless. One of the local gun shops where I lived was running a special on them. I looked the SN up just now, 161- prefix dates it to 1985, which was the year that I bought it.

The Police Service Six has a 160- SN prefix, which dates it to 1984. Which was getting toward the end of production. They were made 1972-1988.

They don't seem that old.

Those are the Presentation Pachmayr grips.
Yes, this is what I wanted. However, these are later models, two piece, not wrap-around like those on my Model 28. And no Pachmayr medallion. So I don't know if I'll like them, but I bought them from an ebay seller with returns. So we'll see.

s-l960 (1).jpg s-l960.jpg s-l1600.jpg

If these don't fit right or otherwise work out, I'll send them back and look for a pair of the older style.

This thread reminded me of my old Ruger grip thread..

New (to me) Pachmayr grips in place:

P5130604.JPG

This two piece set fits pretty good. They must be pre-Lyman acquisition, because they aren't spongy and they aren't gappy. They are kinda heavy, make a heavy revolver even heavier.

Once I got the new grips on the Ruger, I weighed it and the Smith & Wesson Model 28. The 28 still weighs about three oz. more than the Ruger. Some of it's in the cylinder. I prefer the reach of the hammer on the 28 for single action cocking.

P5130612.JPG

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR