JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just finished cleaning up and old muzzleloader that has been in the family for generations, not sure what is is, no markings or name on it other than a very faint engraving of a man shooting to the left of the hammer, to faint to get a picture of. It is 32 caliber, my grandfather called it a squirrel rifle from the early 1800's. A local gunsmith said it was a Trade rifle from the late 1700's early 1800's.

At one time many years ago the stock was badly damage It has a unique and very well done repair was done on it ( brass patches with small nails). It was pretty rough looking but cleaned up nicely. The barrel and mechanics are in good shape except for the front tigger that has about 2/3rds broken off, still functions.

I have a friend that shoots old muzzleloaders and he very confident it would be safe to fire, I have the bullet molds for it and poured some bullets, trying to find some #11 precision caps but not having much luck in finding some. Only need a few as the plan is if it fires safely to let the grandkids get a chance to fire a piece of history. If anyone can point me in the direction to find a tin of 100 (I don't need 1k the only amount I have found).

If anyone can share some info on this piece it would be appreciated

211596BD-77F0-4BB0-85C0-27A63B9326D1.jpeg E2625A8C-4627-4130-BF05-06CBDABCB1CA.jpeg F8EC6EC1-B435-4F37-8E3A-16B6E7BC39FC.jpeg

Neat looking late period percussion rifle ...circa 1860's - 1880's or so.
The lock might be a Goulcher lock.
Goulcher was a prolific lock maker...and many , many rifle makers used his locks.

The rifle looks to my eye like a mid-western state rifle...Ohio , Indiana or perhaps a late Tryon gun works rifle.
Is there a name engraved on the barrel...?
Please note that this may not mean who made the whole rifle...but only who made the barrel.
I would guess that this rifle was made at a rifle factory and meant to be sold via a hardware store.

Nice period repairs....very commonly seen in the lock and wrist areas.

If you are going to shoot this rifle....
I would replace the original nipple with a modern replacement....perhaps getting one in each #11 and #10 cap size....
I would also remove the barrel and lock....
Checking the breech area for tightness...along with rust and pitting...and overall soundness of the stock.
With it being a .32 caliber...you wouldn't need a large powder charge...
Something in the 25 - 30 grain range .

As much as I enjoy shooting my original , as in antique rifles....
I only do so from time to time....If I want to shoot a lot...I use a new made muzzle loader.
Andy

Last Edited:
Goulcher was a prolific lock maker...and many , many rifle makers used his locks.

The rifle looks to my eye like a mid-western state rifle...Ohio , Indiana or perhaps a late Tryon gun works rifle.
Please note that this may not mean who made the whole rifle...but only who made the barrel.
I would guess that this rifle was made at a rifle factory and meant to be sold via a hardware store.

I would replace the original nipple with a modern replacement....perhaps getting one in each #11 and #10 cap size....
Checking the breech area for tightness...along with rust and pitting...and overall soundness of the stock.

I only do so from time to time....If I want to shoot a lot...I use a new made muzzle loader.
Andy
Sound advice on an antique…. from a fellow "antique".

;) :s0108:

Andy
Thanks for the advice, no markings on the barrel. The plan is after we go through it and it appears to be sound enough to fire, use a light load to try myself than let the son and grandkids have a chance to fire a piece of family history. Maybe fire on an occasion. Then clean it up good and hang on to it until the time comes to pass it down to the next generation.

That sure cleaned up nice! 👍

Caps... if all else fails and you ever make it into the Salem area... I've got a few bricks of Italian conn. valley arms #11's. I would be happy to float your grandkids a 100ct disk. If you asked nice I bet they would share a few with you(?) :D

Pretty cool of them having an opportunity to hold a piece of history like that, but let's face it... it's much cooler if it can go *bang*.;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads