JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
View: https://youtu.be/vuNFlZs0k5g?si=oPHOP4lFXbOldQsG

This veteran basically said the bad guys without night vision devices went and switched tactics to daytime, thus essentially nullifying the advantages of night vision.

So from a home defense/property defense perspective, night vision optics are nice to have at home and in the country; but it's a niche object, and not that important in the grand scheme of things... weapon lights yes; bright motion activated lights, yes, motion activated cameras with good definition, yes

Thieves, criminals and looters might just go in daytime, we've already seen such activity in many urban areas; particularly if the homeowners are not home during the day.

They are becoming more affordable, though. Lower end optics like the Holosun DMS-TH thermal or DMS-NV night vision will cover both day and night in one unit for around 25% of what it cost a few years ago.

That assumes your only reason for having night vision gear is to deal with a criminal threat. If we find ourselves in a situation where law and order break down entirely, those assumptions about night vision are no longer true.
Also, just because something is low probability doesn't mean it won't happen. Criminals choose the time and place of their activities, and while there may be a trend towards crime occuring in daylight hours, there is still plenty of criminal activity that takes place in low light situations where someone might find night vision useful.

That assumes your only reason for having night vision gear is to deal with a criminal threat. If we find ourselves in a situation where law and order break down entirely, those assumptions about night vision are no longer true.
There's a reason I posted this in the defensive carry subforum and not the preparedness subforum ;) and its also why I said "nice to have and a niche item". I never said "no reason to own one" :p

Also, just because something is low probability doesn't mean it won't happen. Criminals choose the time and place of their activities, and while there may be a trend towards crime occuring in daylight hours, there is still plenty of criminal activity that takes place in low light situations where someone might find night vision useful.
Stupid bright lights are great to use in low light situations. Especially if criminal elements aren't using $$$$$ night vision stuff but rather Wish/Alibaba digital stuff that goes whiteout in strong bright white light... ;)

There's a reason I posted this in the defensive carry subforum and not the preparedness subforum ;) and its also why I said "nice to have and a niche item". I never said "no reason to own one" :p

Stupid bright lights are great to use in low light situations. Especially if criminal elements aren't using $$$$$ night vision stuff but rather Wish/Alibaba digital stuff that goes whiteout in strong bright white light... ;)
I have not yet invested in night vision, but if I do it won't be to protect against a criminal threat. I agree with you that lights are more useful for that purpose.

No real utility for me, but Night scopes are fun, I originally got one for hog hunting in another state which never matured. After a fashion, I ended up with a box of rail mounted things I'll never really use, so I installed the scope on a little used, mini 14, using see through mounts so the iron sights still worked as the day function of the night scope is sorta weird, along with a high power green laser, a super bright white light / infra red combo light, a just OK bi-pod, and call it my garbage gun. all the sights and laser are pretty much right on at 50 yards though good luck finding any of the brass. (day or night)
IMG7.JPG

I have not yet invested in night vision, but if I do it won't be to protect against a criminal threat. I agree with you that lights are more useful for that purpose.
Same..I flat out can't afford NVG's at this point..but I would really like a set. Not for anti-criminal defense..rather for force on force engagements.

I'm sure many would agree that when putting two opposing forces in a fight, the one with NVG's is going to have an overwhelming advantage.

That said..what are they now?..10K, 20K? too rich for my blood. I'll have to wait for the army to hand them out or pick one up from a DB in the field.

I have a Burris thermal scope. I plan to get more gear (besides WMLs) to help with seeing things that might be hiding in the brush. There is no lighting outside my house beyond what I provide (WML and motion activated flood lights here and there).

I am less likely to encounter a criminal at night than I am a bear or a cougar or feral dog some city person dumped in the woods. That said, mostly I encounter deer, raccoons, porcupines, skunks, etc.

I do use a very bright light on my Shockwave (loaded with buckshot), but it would be nice to have hybrid NV/Thermal so I might detect a cougar or bear before it feels cornered.

To answer the question as to why I would go outside to see what is lurking; animals trigger the flood lights at times and I want to make sure it isn't the rare two legged skunk messing with my vehicles or trying to get into my shop. So, I grab the Shockwave and walk around a bit.

Beyond that, I am a prepper, so...

If you want to play around with night vision these are $26 (or were, maybe diff now). Add zoomable IR flashlight for another $20 or so and you can see very well to about 200 yard with zero ambient light. Don't get an IR flashlight that doesn't have zoom. Zoom makes all the difference in the world. If I recall I posted soem videos from it in that thread.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews