JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gunbroker item:

This one caught my attention because I noticed the BNP (British Nitro Proof) on the receiver. It was made during the US Repeating Arms era at the old Winchester factory.

Note the condition noted in the item description. "This is a nice gun showing some minor use and wear." Based on the pictures furnished, the seller certainly has different ideas as to the definition of "minor." My attention was drawn to the bolt handle. The amount of wear shown on that part means the action has been cycled a whole lot of times, so I wonder how many rounds have been fired through what is an original barrel.

This rifle may have an interesting history behind it.

Geeze! The wood looks better than the metal!
The British proof marks are kinda cool, but otherwise, the gun is priced too high for its condition.

I'm thinking $600/$650. And anytime you make a firearm
purchase just off of photos it's a bit of added risk
If that. The last two Pre-64 Winchesters I bought were $550 and $600, and I probably overpaid for the one that was $600.

Not that a .243 needs anything different, but the fact that the one on Gunbroker is a push feed doesn't help its value. Most Winchester 70 nerds want that big ol claw extractor.

If that. The last two Pre-64 Winchesters I bought were $550 and $600, and I probably overpaid for the one that was $600.

Not that a .243 needs anything different, but the fact that the one on Gunbroker is a push feed doesn't help its value. Most Winchester 70 nerds want that big ol claw extractor.

Not that a .243 needs anything different, but the fact that the one on Gunbroker is a push feed doesn't help its value. Most Winchester 70 nerds want that big ol cl

Yes to the push feed extractor. I don't think I'd want this particular rifle at any price, the barrel condition is suspect in my mind.

You are correct about the Mauser action. 243 was one of the less popular calibers. And true, were I in the market for another Winchester
I'd wait it out for a pre 64.
Most of the USRA-made Winchester Model 70's were push feed., like post-1964 WRA-made guns. Olin sold WRA to employee-owned USRA in 1980. It went bankrupt in 1989 and Browning picked it up. However, in 1992, they reintroduced the controlled round feed (CRF) design as an option on the Classic series Model 70's. Which was continued up to 2006, when the New Haven factory was closed. From about 2007 to 2013, Model 70's were made in South Carolina. After that, production was shifted to Portugal. So before moving production to Portugal, Browning was making the Model 70 actions in both basic configurations.

I wouldn't mind owning one of the CRF rifles made in New Haven 1992-2006. I've handled some of those, they are pretty nice rifles. It was during this same period that they came up with the BOSS system, which was an optional muzzle balance that could be adjusted to the individual rifle to minimize barrel whip during firing. I've seen them around once in a while over the years but have never owned one.

but otherwise, the gun is priced too high for its condition.
Way too high. I sold a USRAC .30-60 XTR Featherweight (1982 mfg) in better condition for $350 and felt a little guilty. They're decent enough (certainly better than current Savage Axis or Ruger American) but the new "Classics" made in Japan by Miroku are really, really nice rifles, fantastic fit/finish, great wood and of course, the controlled-round feeding.

Before I bought my first Ruger 77MKII I was seriously contemplating a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 30-06. It was a very nice rifle, but for some unknown reason I didn't buy it, even after looking at it and handling it on more than one occasion.

I like the looks of the XTR Featherweight. My 257 Roberts has been reworked and shares similar lines. It's shown in my current avatar pic.

Personal Check, USPS Money Order, Money Order, Certified Check

Tells you all you need to know.

No "Immediate checkout" through the GB POS and it is a no way for me.
I learned the really hard way.

Before I bought my first Ruger 77MKII I was seriously contemplating a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 30-06. It was a very nice rifle, but for some unknown reason I didn't buy it, even after looking at it and handling it on more than one occasion.

I like the looks of the XTR Featherweight. My 257 Roberts has been reworked and shares similar lines. It's shown in my current avatar pic.
I bought my Alaskan brother one of those Classic Stainless 70's in .30-06. Quality and accuracy of that gun still sticks in my mind.

...and the Featherweight XTR's I believe are the best-looking Model 70's ever made. :cool:

the new "Classics" made in Japan by Miroku are really, really nice rifles, fantastic fit/finish, great wood and of course, the controlled-round feeding.
If I'm not mistaken, Miroku has made Browning design lever guns and the Win. Model 101, but not the Model 70. The Mod. 70's are made in Portugal. And they are nice.

Just browsing this sellers other auctions, it appears they're not interested in selling. If they were, their auctions would be penny start with no reserve and let the market decide. The few auctions I looked at had high starting bids and buy now prices, with some views but 0 bids. Based on the auction linked here, perhaps nobody trusts their assessment of "condition".

If I'm not mistaken, Miroku has made Browning design lever guns and the Win. Model 101, but not the Model 70. The Mod. 70's are made in Portugal. And they are nice.
Yeah, I was thinking of the new lever rifles, such as the way cool
Winchester.png
But my Model 70 Classic Featherweight was made by FN in Columbia, SC. The history of the Winchester brand is certainly interesting.

I love mine:
Model 70.jpg

The Brit proof marks might be indicative of the gun being sold originally in Canada?

...and this gun has all the "earmarks", including caliber that suggest a Native "boat gun".

Way too high. I sold a USRAC .30-60 XTR Featherweight (1982 mfg) in better condition for $350 and felt a little guilty. They're decent enough (certainly better than current Savage Axis or Ruger American)
Yes, way too high for the rifle in the GB, but $350 for your .30-06 was a bit in the other direction, but that's only my opinion. I routinely see nice ones priced higher than that. .30-06 is by far and away the most common chambering and that is a determining factor.

Around 1985, during the USRA era, the XTR (about $320), the lightweight rifle (about $300), the Westerner (about $245), the Featherweight (about $330), and the Lightweight Carbine (about $350) could all be purchased in big box discount stores. I think USRA was struggling to get out as many rifles as they could; to some extent they might have been relying on the old timey Winchester name for quality that wasn't in fact always there. All the ones I owned shot well, once any initial problems were cleared up. One XTR in .30-06 had a stock so badly made that the barreled action sat wrong in the stock. Also the bolt was very floppy in the channels. This one I ordered from a distributor and hadn't a chance to look at it before purchase. It had to go back to the factory; they replaced the entire rifle. I had a Westerner (budget model with sights) in .243, it had a stock that was not made right on the fore end. In later years, I bought a used Lightweight Carbine in .308 Win., it wouldn't shoot right until I corrected a protrusion in the barrel channel on the stock.

So I'm thinking that in the 1980's, the product might have been comparable to what is sold in discount stores today, the afore-mentioned Savage Axis or Ruger American, which are mass market offerings. We also have to consider that in the intervening decades, manufacturing methods have changed and have allowed even greater savings in firearms manufacturing processes.

I really liked those Model 70 Lightweight Carbines. Too bad I no longer have one.

.and the Featherweight XTR's I believe are the best-looking Model 70's ever made.
I agree, I like the look a lot. Some people don't like the Schnabel fore end, and I can't say I like every rifle I've seen that has it. But I like it as they were made on the Mod. 70 FW. I had a USRA-made Featherweight in .223, a very nice and enjoyable rifle. I let it go, then later replaced it with a Ruger 77 Mk II RL, which I prize. I now think I like the Ruger as the better rifle.

I've looked at pictures of contemporary FW's made by Browning in Portugal. From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like the design of the Schnabel fore end has been changed. It's s little thicker and stubbier than the earlier design. Yet the "Winchester" web site continues to show the old style.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top