JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a off roading trip coming up. I enjoy eating well on the trail, and love cooking outside. I tell people what I'm cooking on the trip and ask if they want in or not.

I'm not leaving it up to someone else to take care of my food unless I really trust them.
...but you WOULD hunt with them???
"This is this."

Oh man. The main reason I keep the party small. Only on a couple of rare occasions have I risked letting someone bring another to our hunting camp that I haven't personally vetted. One worked out fine, the other, not so much. The buddy that invited him along apologized profusely and hasn't brought any outsiders since. The funny thing is, he drove my buddy nuts, much worse than he bothered me. :s0140:
NEVER have I allowed a friend to bring a "friend" to hunt. If that is something to be done, then that guy has to have become my friend through another avenue of acquaintance first.

My hunting grounds are the very most valuable thing in my life. I share them only with people I have come to trust implicitly. If you can't trust your buddy to bring pots and pans, why are you hunting with him?
Our camp I do the shopping and the cooking. We eat prime rib, ribs , shrimp, steaks and whole chickens. No one is going hungry with us
We also eat with no holds barred, keep one foot on the floor. Probably much better than we eat at home, on average. We also have a hot shower, Flat Screen TV in the wall tent (for movie night after supper).

Freeze dried food is for the Brooks Range, 100 miles above the Arctic Circle chasing sheep. In a camp built out of what is hauled in a truck, I gotta have my Baby Backs and Corny Hens. :cool:

NEVER have I allowed a friend to bring a "friend" to hunt. If that is something to be done, then that guy has to have become my friend through another avenue of acquaintance first.
In both cases, these were not people I had never met - just not hunted with. I really like both of them, but only one of them did I enjoy hunting with. Also, the friend that invited the guy that didn't fit in, technically he was sharing "his spot" with me. He knew it was a hard lesson learned and didn't make the same mistake again.

My hunting grounds are the very most valuable thing in my life. I share them only with people I have come to trust implicitly. If you can't trust your buddy to bring pots and pans, why are you hunting with him?
I'm not sure how this pertains to my comments. Maybe related to my buddy not remembering to turn his Rino GPS on? Unfortunately, forgetfulness can catch up with us all as we age. I'm no Spring chicken either, so I won't abandon an old friend just because he doesn't always remember. He's also the one that shared most of "my" hunting spots when they were "his". Like you, I don't share them casually.

"Them" being my friends who I'd rather not eat their cooking? Of course. Most dudes I know can't cook worth a damn 😂
Hunting camp is the very best training ground for poor bustards whose Mamas didn't love 'em enough to teach them to cook. The critics are boundless, and the consequences of a mistake are immediately observable. :cool:

In both cases, these were not people I had never met - just not hunted with. I really like both of them, but only one of them did I enjoy hunting with. Also, the friend that invited the guy that didn't fit in, technically he was sharing "his spot" with me. He knew it was a hard lesson learned and didn't make the same mistake again.

I'm not sure how this pertains to my comments. Maybe related to my buddy not remembering to turn his Rino GPS on? Unfortunately, forgetfulness can catch up with us all as we age. I'm no Spring chicken either, so I won't abandon an old friend just because he doesn't always remember. He's also the one that shared most of "my" hunting spots when they were "his". Like you, I don't share them casually.
Sorry if it came off that way. NO implication toward your way of doing things or your GPS partner (he's an ASSET to a hunt). just stating mine.

I took a friend to elk camp once, he whined all day about "lets go in the camper and play cards" strike one. Then I woke in the middle of the night to the sounds of him puking in the sink in the camper, strike two. Then a few days later I got a spike on the ground and my friend was close enough to come help with gutting the kill. I got started and asked my friend to grab a leg to which he replied "I ain't touching that thing" steerike three!! We are still friends but don't hunt together.

Last Edited:
I took a friend to elk camp once, he whined all day about "lets go in the camper and play cards" strike one. Then I woke in the middle of the night to the sounds of him puking in the sink in the camper, strike two. Then a few days later I got a spike on the ground and my friend was close enough to come help with gutting the kill. I got started and asked my friend to grab a leg to which he replied "I ain't touching that thing" steerike three!! We are still friends but don't hunt together.
Must be a "townie" or "city boy"

Proof positive that five words can cost you shared winter's meat. :cool:

No hunting, but went backpacking A LOT 30 some years ago. Spent what little extra cash i had on decent gear to bring those packs to a decent weight with everything needed, Learned early on to plan every meal and pack enough to last the trip with a lil extra.

We always dumped gear before heading out to ensure all critical items were there and no duplicates of unesseary stuff. Everyone carried some of the common items as well as their own personal stuff. That rule came early on after we did a massive hike in that was more brutal then it shoulda been. I noticed a buddies wife had a easy trip for such a huge pack she carried, It was all clothing, not a single food item, tent, sleeping bag, etc,

He got an earful. Never happened again.
Still carry on the tradition for any trip more than an hour away from home.

the kippers guy was not a hunter. a long time friend who wanted to try bow hunting. i gave him advice on equipment and such, he ignored my advice of course. bought the setup the archery shop suggested. good choice but cost a lot of $$$. went hunting 1 time and never bow hunted again. he eventually passed his bow to his son who became a good hunter.

Invited a first time hunter to join us. He came later, so I wasn't around when he packed. This was remote moose hunting using 4 wheelers. Provide him a detailed list of food and supplies. He showed up with a trash bag of food. His dad was a salesman for Tom's snacks. Yup, a week supply of peanut butter crackers and such. Fortunately I had more than enough MRE on hand. Otherwise, he was properly outfitted. I did get a sixty inch bull moose. He got lots of teasing.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top