JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some great options in this thread already. Thoughts on what has been posted:
  • JTAC builds are an awesome option, would highly recommend looking into
  • B&T SPR300, if you got the money it is hands down the best option in my opinion. I have had the pleasure of shooting one and your giggles will be louder than firing the gun.
  • Q, I have a very negative opinion on most everything they do and put out due to QC issues. I personally have had multiple out of spec Plan B muzzle/adapters that were out of spec on the threads, a friend who has had their honey badger back for QC issues affecting reliable function twice now where they lied about the work performed in an attempt to fix the problem (parts that were listed as replaced by Q were uniquely and discreetly marked prior to return and same parts received back after Q indicated replacement on warranty work). Another shooting buddy had a Q Fix in 6.5CM that also went back twice for accuracy and feeding issues, both of which were never resolved and he cut his losses and sold the rifle. Multiple shooters/ammo/optics were used to try and resolve issues prior to return by the gun never shot better than 2.5" groups at 100 yards. All shooters are easy sub 1" shooters with a capable rifle and optics were verified good coming off other long range rigs with brands being Leupold and Nightforce. For these reasons I am unable to recommend Q or their products and hold a negative opinion of the company. I view them as an excellent marketing company, innovative products but poor execution, not trustworthy and unable to resolve issues.
  • CVA Single shot, have one and really like it for the $350 price you can get them at BiMart for. Lot of fun for the money.
For some other platforms to consider:
  • Black Collar Pork Sword
  • Aero Solus action and build your own how you want it using prefit barrel, drop in trigger and chassis of your choice
  • Christensen MPP if you can find a deal on one. Own one and only because they went on special for $899 a couple years ago. Worth it at that price but find the quality lacking at anywhere near MSRP. Would build an Aero Solus or similar for the same money 100% of the time over the Christensen if you couldn't get for $1,200 or less.
  • Used CZ527 or Howa 1500 mini action
  • Ruger ranch rifle is an easy button cheap option and uses AR mags
  • Hold out for the Henry lever action that uses AR mags that was announced at shot show this year and should be coming out sometime soon.

I picked up a CVA Scout in 300 BLK from my local BiMart a couple months ago. Pretty nice, basic entry into the BLK platform for $350. Short overall length, breaks down into two pieces for storage/transport if desired. It seemed plenty accurate the one or two times I have had it out to the range using my subsonic handloads (inexpensive, coated lead 220 or 225 grain projectiles over 1680 powder).

I've also had a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in BLK, and still have a CZ 527 Suppressor Ready. Liked both of these, but the simplicity and low cost of the Scout is impressive so far, or an old Handi Rifle. But the Handi's have become more expensive since they quit making them. The Scout may be worth a look.

Definitely not as quiet as a suppressed 22LR with subsonic ammo, but a bolt or single shot 300 BLK it is pretty quiet with suppressor I also have a couple 44 magnums and 38/357 rifles which are suppressed, these are quiet too. Honestly, if you are a handloader and can tailor your ammo to suit your needs, it opens up your options considerably. Finding/purchasing subsonic ammo for some calibers can be a bit difficult; making it is not if you are set up to do so.

View attachment 1901950
Agree with the CVA Scout in 300 BO. $350-400 and solidly built. Asking someone who has one and shoots it suppressed and they just smile. Oh yeah!

Last Edited:
I've thought about going the .45 ACP PDW route. A roller delayed .45 ACP has a lot of appeal as a fun gun.

The downside is that with .300 BLK, you can switch to supers in a pinch. With a .45 ACP, it's never going to have much more oomph than a 1911, even with a carbine length barrel.
Bologna. I get about 200ft/second more out of my 16.5" .45 barrel than I do my 4.25" 1911. Please tell me how more than 20% extra velocity isn't a lot more oomph? 1050 on a 230 and 1200+ on a 185 is no wimp

Re the savage, if it were less expensive I wouldn't mind having one in 300BLK or .308 and put a wood liner on the mlock forend sides, a wood grip, and folding wood stock. That woudl be pretty unique.

2 min lazy bubblegum attempt to show what I mean:

IMG_7367.jpeg
Folding wood stock or wood brace? On the back
IMG_7368.jpeg

You guys are sending me down rabbit holes faster than I can crawl back out! :s0152:

Sorry I've been so slow to reply. Family emergencies ate most of my free time over the past week and the rabbit holes ate the rest.

CVA Scout does look pretty neat for the money. Maybe that's a logical first step for me to get a sense of the caliber and help me either justify a more expensive build or decide I'm better off spending that money on something else.

I picked up a CVA Scout in 300 BLK from my local BiMart a couple months ago. Pretty nice, basic entry into the BLK platform for $350. Short overall length, breaks down into two pieces for storage/transport if desired. It seemed plenty accurate the one or two times I have had it out to the range using my subsonic handloads (inexpensive, coated lead 220 or 225 grain projectiles over 1680 powder).

I've also had a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in BLK, and still have a CZ 527 Suppressor Ready. Liked both of these, but the simplicity and low cost of the Scout is impressive so far, or an old Handi Rifle. But the Handi's have become more expensive since they quit making them. The Scout may be worth a look.

Definitely not as quiet as a suppressed 22LR with subsonic ammo, but a bolt or single shot 300 BLK it is pretty quiet with suppressor I also have a couple 44 magnums and 38/357 rifles which are suppressed, these are quiet too. Honestly, if you are a handloader and can tailor your ammo to suit your needs, it opens up your options considerably. Finding/purchasing subsonic ammo for some calibers can be a bit difficult; making it is not if you are set up to do so.

View attachment 1901950
  • CVA Single shot, have one and really like it for the $350 price you can get them at BiMart for. Lot of fun for the money.
Agree with the CVA Scout in 300 BO. $350-400 and solidly built. Asking someone who has one and shoots it suppressed and they just smile. Oh yeah!

Which do you like better, bolts or semi-auto? That's should be what you look for.
If you really want to just try it before dropping the big cash on something, just get a 300blk upper for your AR.
Maybe keep the 300blk as the cheap option, play with it for a while, then spend the money and get a bolt action in 8.6blk. 12" or 16" Q Fix, along with a Porq Chop can.

Edit: here's your game changer....
Thru 8-31-24, buy a Fix or Mini-Fix and get a free suppressor.
Buy the Fix in 8.6, and get the Porq Chop ($1k) for free. That's probably the best value.
8.6 BLK really does look very compelling, and seems to make a lot of sense as the basis for a suppressed build with more performance at a distance. I wonder how recoil with 8.6 BLK compares with the substantially lighter .300 BLK? The Q builds are very lightweight, which seems more fun in a small caliber than a big one.

8.6 doesn't have very widespread market adoption yet. A couple recent bits of news regarding 8.6 Blackout.

First SAAMI rejected Hornady's application with 1:3 twist. What does this signify long term? I haven't a clue.

SAAMI Rejects 8.6 BLK application.

Second, B&T announced the SPR86, the 8.6 BLK version of the SPR300. $6k for the .300 BLK version is beyond what I can justify for what's essentially a toy. The same $6k for the 8.6 version makes way more sense. Too bad they won't be released until after the 114 ruling. And too bad I can't, or at least shouldn't afford a $6k SBR right now. But holy moly that's a dream gun right there.

B&T SPR86 Announcement

Honestly, it is a hard choice, because I know that either way I go, I'm going to want both.

With the pressure of 114, and the uncertainty of the final SAAMI spec, maybe 8.6 is a case where finding a receiver and leaving the build itself for down the road is the way to go?

FWIW I would put time into researching how quiet (in db, from a good source) a 300 BLK can get. Fe suppressor + wet + wipe if possible. Because if you find that it's not "Hollywood quiet" at that "best" level, then the goal cannot really be obtained. I have never researched it so can't help unfortunately. But some good sources for reliable db levels are iraqveteran8888 and mrgunsngear. Search for "suppressor" on those channels probably will work. Both use the proper meters and protocol. That pew science suppressor data site may help also but every time I've looked at it it never has the suppressors I want data for. Also I suggest watching the latest Garand thumb video on 300 BLK (not silencer related really).
I have seen some of the videos that iraqveteran8888 has done. Good stuff! I am going to spend more time digging into his other content.

I was not familiar with mrgunsngear, but he really does a great job of explaining things clearly.

Outstanding recommendations!

Honestly, it doesn't really matter much if actual "Hollywood quiet" is achievable. I assume it probably isn't for the most part. I am really just trying to see how close I can get for giggles, and to satisfy my own curiosity.

Also keep in mind that any bufferless gun, including bolt actions, you can easily add a folding stock to if you are able to install a pic rail on the back. Mainly talking about modular setups here but I even have a completely wood stock (other than the metal folding adapter) that is folding. Pic rail means you can attach a folding adapter and stock to the reciever. Folding stock is vital to being able to put in a backpack imo.
Yes, a folding/collapsing stock or brace is very key. And I love the wood furniture on ARs look!

Is there any chance you can shoot one of these somewhere with subs? How fun is kinda hard to tell sometimes until you shoot it (unless you have shot something very similar and like that kind of gun).
Not really, unless someone wants to meet up at Wolf Creek one morning. It's funny how the advice people give is to always rent or borrow a gun before you buy it, and yet I have never once found a single gun I own other than a Glock 19 offered at any range rental. I have had pretty good luck winding up with guns I really like by doing my homework and then taking a chance buying before shooting, but this one has me more uncertain than usual for multiple reasons.

Bologna. I get about 200ft/second more out of my 16.5" .45 barrel than I do my 4.25" 1911. Please tell me how more than 20% extra velocity isn't a lot more oomph? 1050 on a 230 and 1200+ on a 185 is no wimp
You make a fair point. An extra 20% isn't nothing. Is it "a lot"? I dunno. Maybe I worded it poorly.

But my comment relative to "a lot" was made in the context of the extra oomph you can get with .300 BLK going from subs to supers. A 208 grain Hornady sub .300 BLK at 1020 fps/480 ft. lbs can share a mag with a 110 grain round at 2375 fps/1377 ft. lbs. = an extra 132% just by changing ammo. Changing ammo or barrel length with .45 ACP doesn't provide an equivalent difference, and that was more the point I was trying to make.

What are some fun guns you'd recommend I consider?

8.6 BLK really does look very compelling, and seems to make a lot of sense as the basis for a suppressed build with more performance at a distance. I wonder how recoil with 8.6 BLK compares with the substantially lighter .300 BLK? The Q builds are very lightweight, which seems more fun in a small caliber than a big one.

8.6 doesn't have very widespread market adoption yet. A couple recent bits of news regarding 8.6 Blackout.

First SAAMI rejected Hornady's application with 1:3 twist. What does this signify long term? I haven't a clue.

SAAMI Rejects 8.6 BLK application.

Second, B&T announced the SPR86, the 8.6 BLK version of the SPR300. $6k for the .300 BLK version is beyond what I can justify for what's essentially a toy. The same $6k for the 8.6 version makes way more sense. Too bad they won't be released until after the 114 ruling. And too bad I can't, or at least shouldn't afford a $6k SBR right now. But holy moly that's a dream gun right there.

B&T SPR86 Announcement

Honestly, it is a hard choice, because I know that either way I go, I'm going to want both.

With the pressure of 114, and the uncertainty of the final SAAMI spec, maybe 8.6 is a case where finding a receiver and leaving the build itself for down the road is the way to go?
You can buy a Q Fix in 8.6 for $3-3.5k in 8" or 12", plus if you buy one before the end of August you will get a free suppressor for it. The owner of Q took the 12" to Africa and shot a Cape Buffalo with it, with one shot! But that makes it a 2 stamp gun at that point. Main problem with the 8.6 is the high cost of the ammo, unless you reload. $2.50/round in the box. Not going to be a 'mag dump' caliber at the range at that cost.

...Not really, unless someone wants to meet up at Wolf Creek one morning. It's funny how the advice people give is to always rent or borrow a gun before you buy it, and yet I have never once found a single gun I own other than a Glock 19 offered at any range rental. I have had pretty good luck winding up with guns I really like by doing my homework and then taking a chance buying before shooting, but this one has me more uncertain than usual for multiple reasons.
FYI safe fire in Vancouver rents 300 BLK suppressed plus 110 other guns or so:

IMG_7381.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top