JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just had an ultrasound yesterday on the Thyroid with good size nodules in both sides. Going to have to get biopsy's done. This was as a result of a CT scan I had done because of a hard painful lump behind my left ear. Biopsy on that showed "Salivary gland neoplasm of uncertain malignant potential (SUMP) (category IVB)" and "Abnormal left level 2 lymph node" so surgery is scheduled to remove the mass and part of the gland and the lymph node. It will only be known if it's benign or malignant after they remove it and lab.

Haven't told anyone or family or my wife until I know if it's benign or malignant. If it is Cancer there is no way I can hide that from my wife as the surgeries and other treatment I'd have to do. If it's benign then I'll let her know everything that's been going on. Hoping for that. As far as this first surgery, well .. I can't hide that but I'll just say it's a lipoma that needs to be removed. It's just a day surgery so I'll be home that day.

Why keep it from the wife right now? I'm her 24/7 caregiver after her stroke three years ago. She is wheelchair dependent and can't use her right arm or leg. Her left leg was amputated above the knee just days before and she had a Hemorrhagic brain bleed while still in the hospital. I was able to get her into rehab then got her home without her having to be in a care facility full-time. I dress her / bathe her / transfer her. Not sure why I writing here but it's the only place I can write down my thoughts right now.

If these are your doctors, get a second opinion.

1719721469703.png

There are thought I wouldn't share with my best friend but would post online to a bunch of internet strangers
You have hard choices to make and I don't see anyone that isn't you has a right to criticizes your choices

Damn brother. I'm sorry to hear about both situations, your wife and yours.

Seeing it from your perspective and with your wife's afflictions I do understand not wanting to stress her out especially after a stroke.. but on the other hand.. a partnership is a partnership.. but I think I'd do the same thing in your situation, I'd wait to see if it's something worth telling her.. because if it's something simple and a non issue.. I wouldn't want to cause any additional worry or stress. But at the same time.. if I was you, I'd need to vent to someone so I didn't have all that weighing on my shoulders.

Outside of this post, if you ever need to chat and get things off your chest or simply to vent, PM me and I'd be more than happy to simply listen so you don't feel alone in this. No one should have to feel like they are alone with that kind of stuff.

I'm truly hoping it's benign and a non issue for you in the future once it's taken care of. I'll watch this thread for updates. Wishing you the best sir.

For better or worse, I salute you man. That's love. I am sorry you are going through all this. I think you are right in not saying anything. I wouldn't until I knew for sure. In her condition or any condition why worry someone unless there is something they can do about it. And this is great place to talk about. Many here have gone through similar as well as worse and I am sure many will chime in with prayers, kind words and advice.

Thyroid nodules are common. Even low-risk thyroid cancers are more common than others, and are often dealt with via a "fairly' uncomplicated surgery. The lump behind the ear may well be a lymph node. If it is, it can be reactive (i.e. to an infection) or it may be malignant. Honestly, biopsy could be done via needle without surgery, but they are less invasive but less reliable. The biopsy will tell. Even if it is lymphoma, virtually all types are very amenable to treatment. Still, you will be out of action for a time and alternative care will be needed.
Check with your insurance, the hospital or doctor's office on visiting nurses or other professional care. when you are reight with it, check with family, neighbors, even friends. You need help that is at the ready, for trips etc. But you need specialzed care in transferring your wife. That my require a visiting nurse. You are going to have to square up with your wife sooner or later, but you may choose to do so after the results are known. If benign, it's a minor hassle.
Prayers up that it is not malignant.

However, if it is, "I" would go nowhere else but:
First, it is a dedicated cancer center and not a general hospital., which generally suck at cancer. Secondly, it is a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center. The only one in Oregon. That means that they employ the best and brightest, have cutting edge technology, possess the latest treatment data and perform resaearch via clinical trials. Had I not gone to such a facility in 2008 - four cancers and a marrow transplant ago - I would not have made it through 2009. Even if it is a bit of a drive, you may be talking life or death. In 2008, I did not want to make the 80 mile round trip to such a facility. I have now made that trip hundreds of times.

Last Edited:
Thyroid nodules are common. Even low-risk thyroid cancers are more common than others, and are often dealt with via a "fairly' uncomplicated surgery. The lump behind the ear may well be a lymph node. If it is, it can be reactive (i.e. to an infection) or it may be malignant. Honestly, biopsy could be done via needle without surgery, but they are less invasive but less reliable. The biopsy will tell. Even if it is lymphoma, virtually all types are very amenable to treatment. Still, you will be out of action for a time and alternative care will be needed.
Check with your insurance, the hospital or doctor's office on visiting nurses or other professional care. when you are reight with it, check with family, neighbors, even friends. You need help that is at the ready, for trips etc. But you need specialzed care in transferring your wife. That my require a visiting nurse. You are going to have to square up with your wife sooner or later, but you may choose to do so after the results are known. If benign, it's a minor hassle.
Prayers up that it is not malignant.

However, if it is, "I" would go nowhere else but:
First, it is a dedicated cancer center and not a general hospital., which generally suck at cancer. Secondly, it is a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center. The only one in Oregon. That means that they employ the best and brightest, have cutting edge technology, possess the latest treatment data and perform resaearch via clinical trials. Had I not gone to such a facility in 2008 - four cancers and a marrow transplant ago - I would not have made it through 2009. Even if it is a bit of a drive, you may be talking life or death. In 2008, I did not want to make the 80 mile round trip to such a facility. I have now made that trip hundreds of times.
The lump behind my ear is a lesion (mass) in the PAROTID gland so sugery will remove some of the gland.

I'm being seen at OHSU. Dr Anderson ENT. Had the Ultrasound there. Dr Anderson did the biopsy on my neck and the results showed:

Salivary gland neoplasm of uncertain malignant potential (SUMP) (category IVB)
So Dr Anderson says it needs to come out as well as the affected lymph node. I'll have the thyroid nodules biopsy soon and they are on the larger size:

Right thyroid:
Nodule 1: Solid isoechoic nodule, 4.5 x 2.8 x 3.1 cm. Low suspicion pattern.

Left thyroid:
Nodule 1: Solid hypoechoic nodule, 2 x 1.2 x 1.5 cm. Intermediate suspicion pattern.

So we'll see what info comes from the biopsy.

Mt voice is (and has been) very hoarse since end of May with some trouble swallowing .. feels like I've got a hand around my throat. Kinda tight.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top