JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
LONG ago fell in love with stainless. At first was not real keen on it. What changed me was how easy it is to deal with "wear and tear". LOVE nice blueing but sadly its of course kind of fragile and easy to damage. Some of the "newer" coating are supposed to be a lot tougher but again if you scratch it? Kind of sucks as you of course see the marks every time you look at the gun.

if you want an FDE pistol, get an FDE pistol. It's just a color, though I find it really helps the pistols lines pop and stand out a little better than plain black. Looks especially great on tactical guns, not so much on classic guns. And it's horrible in two tone.

In a perfect world, bead blasted stainless would be my preference. That way I can touch them up whenever they get scratched. Realistically, options are limited for those though. Polished stainless would be another easy one to keep nice looking. I do like a nice deep blue finish though too.

horrible in two tone.
FDE isn't all that bad in two tone with coyote tan or other brown tones or even with odg, definitely not good with ss or black, but then again, I've never really been a huge fan of the desert tones. They serve a purpose when there's a need for it, like any other gun color. Black satin is my go-to.

FDE isn't all that bad in two tone with coyote tan or other brown tones or even with odg, definitely not good with ss or black, but then again, I've never really been a huge fan of the desert tones. They serve a purpose when there's a need for it, like any other gun color. Black satin is my go-to.
I'm gonna correct that^^ in pistols specifically, don't two tone fde with odg. In ARs, not too terribe, pistols do look pretty dumb

LONG ago fell in love with stainless. At first was not real keen on it. What changed me was how easy it is to deal with "wear and tear". LOVE nice blueing but sadly its of course kind of fragile and easy to damage. Some of the "newer" coating are supposed to be a lot tougher but again if you scratch it? Kind of sucks as you of course see the marks every time you look at the gun.
The "newer" coatings and chemical treatments, such as nitrocarburizing (Duty Treat, E-treat, melanite, diamond black and other brand names) and DLC are virtually scratch proof.
Anything that would scratch them would leave a worse mark on stainless, be it brushed, bead blasted or polished.

But I don't mind scratches:

IMG_1653.jpeg
IMG_1654.jpeg
IMG_1655.jpeg
if you want an FDE pistol, get an FDE pistol. It's just a color, though I find it really helps the pistols lines pop and stand out a little better than plain black. Looks especially great on tactical guns, not so much on classic guns. And it's horrible in two tone.
mostly agree, but I have a 2 tone Sig and a Steyr that look ok. As it goes, the Steyr is more "burnt bronze" and the Steyr a bit more green, but considering the range of FDE shades, (sometimes on one gun- SCAR), I'll count em....
IMG_1659.jpeg
IMG_1660.jpeg

Last Edited:
In a perfect world, bead blasted stainless would be my preference. That way I can touch them up whenever they get scratched. Realistically, options are limited for those though. Polished stainless would be another easy one to keep nice looking. I do like a nice deep blue finish though too.
I have revolvers in stainless and "matte" stainless. I like the high-polish stainless better.

Mmmmm, is there an option for "all of them"? I have guns in ODG, FDE, black (of various shades and coatings) stainless, even a few in bare metal. Furniture ranges from all the basic polymer colors to wood and dyed laminate.

I don't have any of the really fun colors yet, but I am seriously thinking about trolling a buddy of mine and getting one of the MP5 clones professionally painted pink, or maybe a Tiffany teal.

I dunno, I just like guns. And swords. And metal working tools. And woodworking tools. And heavy equipment stuff. The color does not matter much to me.

I've always had black pistols. But, have really been pondering getting a FDE Pistol. What do y'all prefer as far as the color of your pistol?
I prefer brushed stainless steel. It is very easy to touch up with a scotch bright pad. Even the toughest finishes will eventually wear.

I have a FDE SIG spear... it is very pretty!

My absolute favorite color is a Two-Tone motif, easy on they eyes. Hiding scratches and wear factors is never an issue:

"Saddle Wear and Patina"

1716376952647.jpeg
Model 1886 Winchester Carbine, caliber .38-56. One of the rarest Winchesters ever made. This finish takes approximately 140 years to apply.

Last Edited:
Blued steel :
New...
"Pre-War" S&W and Colt blue...
"Fire Blue"...
Case hardening...
Well worn blue with honest wear....
'Old time" Browning....

With all that said...
It's your pistol...ifin' you like and want Flat Dark Earth as a color...get one in that color.
Firearms ain't fashion accessories.....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews