JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good afternoon all!
Today is such a blessed day. My son was brought into this world at 3:14 this morning and am looking for some advice.
I am wanting to take paid leave through WA due to my fiancée having a c-section. I originally planned on taking 2wks off but due to the situation, I am now thinking at least 4-6.
I'm just wondering if anyone here from WA has taken it for paternal leave and if it's worth it.

To be fair, I make $16.50 at a body armor company which is a lot less than the state would pay, even per week.

Congratulations…. Take as much time off as you can, you never get this moment back! If there's family around to help, maybe work the first 2 weeks as you'll just get in the way 🤣j/k
Minimum 4weeks, I wish I took more. Look into the FMLA site for Wa and get that paperwork going👍

Good afternoon all!
Today is such a blessed day. My son was brought into this world at 3:14 this morning and am looking for some advice.
I am wanting to take paid leave through WA due to my fiancée having a c-section. I originally planned on taking 2wks off but due to the situation, I am now thinking at least 4-6.
I'm just wondering if anyone here from WA has taken it for paternal leave and if it's worth it.

To be fair, I make $16.50 at a body armor company which is a lot less than the state would pay, even per week.
Congrats man!

Congratulations on the birth of your child! Such a blessing. Hope you and your family are doing well. (My wife had Cesarean sections too, so understand your concern. As to Washington regulation, I cannot say.)

Good afternoon all!

Congrats! The time is being given so your son and family can be happy and strong.

Congrats 'DAD'. If you are concerned about paying bills timely, best check with WA state to find out how long it takes to process your claim and receive a check. In Oregon, they are so incompetent it is taking a couple of months before claims are paid. This is for both unemployment and family or medical leave. I don't know how long WA takes.

Thank you for all the warm wishes guys! Really making me feel not so alone.
I guess if all else fails, I'll ruin my credit and take a loan out to cover everything for a month or two, and after that? Time to go work at a sawmill. ($23 starting pay with opportunity to run machines)

Good afternoon all!

Congrats, sounds like it would NOT be something I would do in your position. If you are worried its going to make you unable to pay rent sounds like a LOT more stress than it would be worth. Do you have family here? If so hopefully they can help out around the home and new baby. Taking that leave time is fantastic IF, and that's the big IF, its not going to just cause a lot of stress money wise.

Thank you for all the warm wishes guys! Really making me feel not so alone.
I guess if all else fails, I'll ruin my credit and take a loan out to cover everything for a month or two, and after that? Time to go work at a sawmill. ($23 starting pay with opportunity to run machines)
Now that you have family you will find that one of the most important parts of "work" is insurance. Your pay will not mean much if you don't have that. You are young, sounds like starting out. School of some kind should be a TOP priority. Training of some kind to make yourself more valuable.

Now that you have family you will find that one of the most important parts of "work" is insurance. Your pay will not mean much if you don't have that. You are young, sounds like starting out. School of some kind should be a TOP priority. Training of some kind to make yourself more valuable.
True but I would advocate a trade to join vs college.

Paid while learning the ropes and trades are paying more and more every year.

Also no student dept to rack up.

True but I would advocate a trade to join vs college.

Paid while learning the ropes and trades are paying more and more every year.

Also no student dept to rack up.
I support 99% of the men to NEVER go to college. Tends to be a HUGE waste of money. There are some who excel at it and that's great. Most will be money ahead to get training to make themselves of value. A LOT of employers will greatly subsidize that training. There are a LOT of well paying jobs out there right now searching for people.

I support 99% of the men to NEVER go to college. Tends to be a HUGE waste of money. There are some who excel at it and that's great. Most will be money ahead to get training to make themselves of value. A LOT of employers will greatly subsidize that training. There are a LOT of well paying jobs out there right now searching for people.
I thought that too but even with a very wide range of skills I've been getting bites for months but so far it hasn't born fruit yet.

Lot of recruiters on YouTube are talking about company's that are advertising just to have a pool of people to contact if they need to hire.

I've also been pretty surprised at some of the very low hourly rates or salary's company's are hiring at compared to what they want done in the job descriptions.

Edit - especially considering what minimum wage is and is going to.

I thought that too but even with a very wide range of skills I've been getting bites for months but so far it hasn't born fruit yet.

Lot of recruiters on YouTube are talking about company's that are advertising just to have a pool of people to contact if they need to hire.

I've also been pretty surprised at some of the very low hourly rates or salary's company's are hiring at compared to what they want done in the job descriptions.

Edit - especially considering what minimum wage is and is going to.
Sadly you "may" need to be willing to move. Either job or location, or both. No one "likes this" but, some times its the only way. I work in health care. It was a career move I made fairly late in life. Had toyed with the idea of doing it a LONG time. Finally just went for it. I could make a LOT more money if I wanted to up and move. Since I live "comfortable" I don't. It can be scary to just up and change "trades" but, it can be VERY rewarding.
We are struggling right now to find people to take jobs that pay 100K a year easy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top