JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I only volume load ammunition for handguns.

The value of reloading comes out when you try to purchase a box of ammo such as 30-378, doesn't take long to pay for itself.

I also utilize the bad weather days to stay inside and reload because... what else is there to do?

Reloading for me is a form of entertainment, much like my wife watches TV. It keeps my mind busy. It keeps me on my feet. But it doesn't save me money. I just ordered another 1000 fmj and jhp bullets which makes me $83 poorer. I will spending another $125 to $425+ on more bullets and powder this weekend depending on acceptance of outstanding offers I have committed too.

I could make the argument that shooting ammo is more expensive then reloading it.

If I shoot a case of ammo, I am left with a bunch of dirty cases and targets with holes in them.

If I reload a case of ammo, I am left with a case of ammo and targets with no holes in them.

Reloading ammo is like saving money

Shooting ammo is like spending money

:)

Gary took a deep dive into the well of reloading economy. My wife might appreciate this part of the article:

"Finally, I attached no monetary value to the time spent reloading. This is because I view reloading as an interesting leisure activity. Reloading is much more productive than some other pass-times, such as watching reality shows on TV."

My wife loves "reality" TV, not some of but all of it.

Gary took a deep dive into the well of reloading economy. My wife might appreciate this part of the article:

"Finally, I attached no monetary value to the time spent reloading. This is because I view reloading as an interesting leisure activity. Reloading is much more productive than some other pass-times, such as watching reality shows on TV."

My wife loves "reality" TV, not some of but all of it.

The friction arrives when your wife, who recognizes that you don't value your time, wants you to spend it with her, shopping (substitute most any other activity). There you are, and she asks, "does this look nice?", and you are thinking, "dang, I could be reloading."
I reload because I'm a cheap bastige, and I like to shoot. A lot.

wants you to spend it with her, shopping
BAH!!!
SHE, shops for HER.

I, shop for ME!

WE, shop for "US"!

It, just, works.

Haven't thought about the economics of loading my own since a year, or two, after I started. That was when I bought that Rock Chucker kit November 2011 on a black Friday deal at Bimart.

For me, reloading goes beyond the "economy" part of the equation and steps into the "prepper" area.
I have a small setup that can produce enough for me. I started with it because of 6.5 creedmoor and on that cartridge it saved money + gave me the ability to produce loads that my rifle liked. During the pandemic and times where ammo prices were going up and supply was limited, it gave me the ability of keep shooting and be prepared.
Currently, my press stays ready on the bench and I'm set to load rifle/pistol cartridges if needed but I save the components for when prices go up or availability goes down. If I load anything nowadays it is because I want something tailored to my needs.

I have started dipping my toes back into reloading and have been reminded of what a time suck it is. I enjoy it for small batch test loads but can't imagine doing 500 or 1000ct batches of the same recipe.

Because of space constraints, cost involved and a short attention span, I am sticking with non-progressive presses and small batches.

Do you factor in your time when deciding whether loading a particular cartridge is worth it or not? If so at what rate per hour do you value your time?
Yes, it's a "time suck", but so is the phone, internet, TV, etc.
However, it's one that requires concentration, not a turned off brain.
It takes a little longer to get a progressive press dialed in, but I find that I can load up a small set faster once it is. I can stop at any point and put the powder back in the can. Unlike loading in stages with a turret press or a single stage. At least it's quicker to finish up a partial batch on a set up turret than it is in a single stage, but if you just charged 50 cases and need to stop, you're in a bad spot.

Short attention span suggests loading in small batches.

Like many of you retired folks have already said - for me, time spent handloading is enjoyable, because I have the time.

Handloading Smiling Cat.jpg

Handloading Seal.jpg

Cheers.

In the early 90's my house burned to the ground. I bought a Lee anniversary kit and 45 Colt dies. Under $150 total investment. I could load a box of 50 for $6. The price to buy them were $41. So an easy $30 a box savings. So after the 5th box my tools were paid for. Since the 90's I have loaded hundreds of boxes.
I have bought lots of reloading equipment since then. But it has easily saved me money. DR

If you have to "Crunch numbers" about reloading, it's a job that you don't look forward to. For me, it's always been a hobby and form of relaxation. Never owned or used a progressive press, and when I do have a pile of brass to process, it's done in stages. I've been at it for over fifty years, and have plenty of firearms I need to feed. I also have plenty of components. The "economy" comes into play when there isn't any ammunition to be found (Think people who don't reload) and I can just keep on shooting. Yes, I'm retired, but this is how I played the game when I was working.

In the early 90's my house burned to the ground. I bought a Lee anniversary kit and 45 Colt dies. Under $150 total investment. I could load a box of 50 for $6. The price to buy them were $41. So an easy $30 a box savings. So after the 5th box my tools were paid for. Since the 90's I have loaded hundreds of boxes.
I have bought lots of reloading equipment since then. But it has easily saved me money. DR
I started off with Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt and a Lee Challenger 2000 press in 1980. 10.0 grs of Unique and a 255 SWC from Liberty bullets in Hillsboro was my go to load.

For me reloading is about multiple issues including saving money, and I reload 9mm primarily. I am currently paying about .12 per round for the components to load 115 grain coated ammo. I shoot about 800 rounds of 9mm per month. I am near retirement age and I have the free time to enjoy activities of my choosing (shooting and reloading).
If I were shooting a caliber like 10mm or .357 the savings would be very significant.
I install the primers in the brass away from the press and pre-flare the mouth. On the the days that I actually reload, it takes me 30 minutes per 100 rounds. I seat the bullet and crimp separately and every round goes into a case checker to insure no issues with barrel fit. I use a turret press.
I frequently spend one hour after work either reloading or something related to firearms.
I usually have music playing and I view it as something I enjoy, not as an unpleasant chore.

I didn't read all the posts but $ isn't the issue. I can make what I want usually cheaper than buying and mist of the stuff I make you cant buy.

Want a subsonic 200 grain .357 mag for your suppressed bolt gun? Yeah…. Not available.

How about .410 buck shot with .390 (not .32) balls that weigh twice as much per pellet? Again…. Good luck.

.300 blackout tracer at $0.30/rd?

I could just go on, and on and on….

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top