JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had it with power tools that have to be plugged in. I've had great luck with Dewalt in the past so I'm thinking of staying with what I know.

I know once you get into a certain brand, you're kind of stuck in that ecosystem because of the batteries.

I'm only interested in these two brands as I've got friends that use these and we share tools from time to time when those "Professional Homeowner" projects come up.

Any Pro Homeowner or Tradesman have a strong opinion either way? and why?

Thanks in advance.

When I used cordless tools all day everyday and batteries got charged multiple times a day I was a die hard Dewalt fan.

However…. After working for a company that provided Ryobi I have to admit I was impressed enough after 3 years that when it came time to buy my own tools for personal use because I moved into management and for the first time in almost 3 decades I do not have company cordless tools, I bought all brushless Ryobi.

I know I will get crop for this but Ryobi and Milwaukee are under the same parent company. I have yet to burn one up and I have used them to build or fix about everything and they are less then half the cost of other brands.

Plus they have more tools then the other brands so if you need a tool, they probably have it.

Wait for a sale - Father's Day is coming up.

I bought a metric crop ton of batteries on sale and got a free brushless tool with every one (batteries are easily half the price of the other 2 brands).

I will put my reputation out there that if you are a handyman or a DYI person, you will never burn a Ryobi tool up. Especially the new brushless HP tools.

Just something you might want to consider. There are a massive amount of comparison videos on YouTube. I wasn't unhappy with my decision.

The following cost me around. $1200.

All of the batteries are the high performance new models (all Ryobi 18v batteries fit all tools but the HP are supposed to last longer in brushless tools).

Ryobi List

2ah Batteries x5

4ah Batteries x6

6ah Batteries x4

Single Battery Charger x7

6 Port Super Charger

1/4" Impact Driver

1/2" Hammer Drill

5/8" SDS Rotary Tool

Reciprocating Saw

7 1/4" Circular Saw

5 1/2" Circular Saw

Multi Tool

LED Light

18 gauge Brad Nailer

4 1/2" Angle Grinder

3/8" Long Reach Ratchet

Jig Saw

High pressure inflator (I may buy one of these just to keep in the trunk of the car because it is awesome)

Rotary Tool (Dremal)

7 1/2" Floor Fan

4" Clamp Fan

Try pricing that out with the more expensive brands.

***Again, if I were back in the trades I would go Dewalt but imo they are way to expensive unless you use them 8+ hours a day, every day and every week.

If you already have an infrastructure of batteries/chargers in one brand that's the one I'd go with. I'd hate to have 3 or 4 different styles to keep track of

That said I'm a Milwaukee guy and by coincidence many of my co-workers are, too. A few DeWalt guys and your token harbor freight shills. We are professional truck/heavy equipment mechanics and use them daily in less than ideal conditions. Our company is kind enough to repair our tools for us when they break and more often than not I see yellow tools on the workbench. Take that for what it's worth

My wife bought me a Dewalt leaf blower, She didn't like the smell of the 2 cycle one I had. I was initially skeptical but soon saw its merits. then she bought a string trimmer to replace my Sthil, again I was less than thrilled but found no issues with it though the Sthil was actually more powerful I never really needed that plus the Dewalt is lighter. Some times in the fall the leaf blower can't quite finish my third acre so she bought me three more batteries and a five battery charger. I never run out now. then she bought me a hand held pruner as my hands hurt after a fashion pruning all the trees. I like this the best! Mainly as I don't just prune them but cut the stuff up in one foot pieces to maximize the yard debris bins. its an amazing little device that I can use all day making thousands of cuts on the same battery. Now she is thinking about a drill. I don't really need one as I already have two albeit getting old. The good part of that is anything more to be bought would be tool only as I have plenty of batteries and a massive charger system. I've had Milwaukie in the past but other than a battery run screw driver they have all been plug in and 40 to 50 years old like my sawsall. with never a complaint but can't say about the new battery stuff.
All in all, I like the Dewalt, for what its worth.

I think DeWalt makes good tools. If you buy DeWalt I doubt you'll be disappointed.
However, I got hooked up Milwaukee initially because of am M12 drill/driver and a Cornwell tool guy that wasn't afraid to make good deals.
My "right hand" at work is a 3/8" M18 impact "wrench", although I call it a gun. It's the heavy duty version and I have used it daily for probably 4+ years. It's got enough oomph for lug nuts, chassis/suspension and engine work. I beat the livin crap out of it. It's big brother, the 1/2" version has ridiculous torque numbers and will set a crush sleeve in a differential easier than my 3/4" air gun will.
I have those, plus other M18 tools that I use; smaller 3/8" impact, Hackzall, two speed hammer drill, circular saw (6 7/8"?, not small), chain saw, weed whacker, work light, fan and radio. I also have two M12 drill/drivers, an underhood light and radio.
I have been extremely pleased with these tools. I am notoriously hard on my tools and had to return one of the smaller M18 impact guns after it developed an issue (caused by severe abuse!). :rolleyes: That's when I bought the larger 3/8" impact. I also broke something in the drive part of a Hackzall, but I haven't bothered to do anything about that yet.

For a homeowner, either brand is going to be the knees of the bees. I run all Dewalt, but that's just because they had the tools I needed at the time and on a kickass sale. I'd be just as happy with Makita and Milwaukee.

Figure out of one brand makes a particular tool you'd use a lot that you like more.

Then wait for Fathers day when all this stuff goes on sale. If at that point you can't decide on the big 3 - buy whoever gives you the best deal.

I also use some Makita and Ryobi tools with my Dewalt batteries (I have about a dozen batteries now) using some $10 adapters you can get on Amazon.

Where I worked for nearly 40 years in the trades, the company would buy anything we wanted. I have used it all.

Cordless hasn't always been great. Once it became really serious equipment, our millwrights standardized on Milwaukee. And the pipefitters/plumbers standardized on DeWalt, and we were both pleased.

So, at home I also have standardized on DeWalt. I use it constantly. Originally all my stuff was 18v. 18v batteries became difficult to find and expensive. I've now switched to 20v and have not looked back. This stuff is great.

Last Edited:
Either one.

Plumbing company A
We used dewalt, price is really good and longevity was acceptable.

Plumbing company B
Milwaukee has done a great job of being the battery tool supplier to plumbing parts houses probably why plumbers use Milwaukee.

Time is money in the plumbing industry, LOTS and LOTS of money, so not a big deal to pay so much for a replacement impact driver while picking up a hose bib and some abs.

The case can also be made for buying the cheaper dewalt as they are used in muddy areas under houses.
I mean they get beat to F.

Not sure if my rambling helps at all.
I use Makita. :D

DeWalt.
1000015783.jpg

The main thing here is of course once you pick one stay with it so all tools used the same battery. I have to say when these tools got real good it was the best thing since sliced bread. It is SOOOOOOO damn nice to NOT have to use cords. The battery tech has advanced a LOT which is great. When my current gas mower dies I will be buying a battery model. Guy I work with brought in a DeWalt shop vac bit ago that I had no idea they made. Damn little thing worked GREAT. It will run off a cord if needed but uses the same 20 V battery so many other tools use. Its on my short list to buy for me. So damn nice for quick jobs like cleaning out the cars and such.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top