JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It seems a little spiteful to want to delete feedback because none was left. Like honestly, does it really matter? It's just the internet fellas. Unless the feedback was erroneous or inappropriate why worry about it?
Yeah. I sold a rifle to a guy and gave him positive feedback. He did not reciprocate. I thought to myself: "He must not be the kind of guy to provide feedback, but his cash wasn't counterfeit." Would I ever sell to him again? In. A. Heartbeat. :D

Yeah. I sold a rifle to a guy and gave him positive feedback. He did not reciprocate. I thought to myself: "He must not be the kind of guy to provide feedback, but his cash wasn't counterfeit." Would I ever sell to him again? In. A. Heartbeat. :D
Exactly. :)

Feedback, either giving or receiving is not important to everybody. I give it every chance I remember to do so. But if somebody doesn't give it, life goes on and I don't lose sleep.

Further, if somebody doesn't give feedback, maybe there's a reason. Maybe his phone or computer blew up. Maybe he had the big one and ended up in the hospital. Maybe his kid is sick. I cannot outguess the maybe's, and I wont jeopardize a relationship.

I also wonder, since feedback numbers are no longer important enough to be immediately shown on a persons postings, maybe folks think they're not important at all.

Last Edited:
guys that show up then ask if you'll take payments.

I had someone try and buy a car I was selling asking if he could make payments. I said no. He accused me of not trusting him, and he was probably playing the race card. Later I thought I should have told him, sure, I'll take payments, and you can take possession after your last payment. Or don't you trust me?

I try to specify in the ad that I want cash only, no payments or checks or PayPal.

Another waste of time is when someone calls me on an ad within 2 or 3 days of its publication and asks me if I will now be willing to take half my asking price. I tell them call me back in 2 weeks.

I once sold a car with an ad and before I sold it someone called me for the address so they could swing by and take a look at it during the day. When I got home after work the car was missing a wheel cover. I'm so gullible.

AITAH if I delete previously left positive feedback?

My experience has been that only about 60% of folks actually leave feedback. I'm more typically the buyer and for the most part have been fortunate to deal with some really cool individuals, but I have to admit I do get a little peeved with folks that can't seem to be bothered to follow up with feedback.

Most typically, transactions go without a hitch. They offer something, I express interest and make a deal (most often with a single PM), communication is great from the seller, I always respond promptly and cordially in kind, they provide payment info, I pay immediately, confirm payment sent and provide shipping info, they ship, it arrives, all is well in the world and I leave positive feedback. Then crickets from the other side of the deal.

In the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal, but if I'm helping a persons online community reputation, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same in return.

Recently the thought crossed my mind of, hey! After a reasonable amount of time has passed (say a couple weeks) when they've been active on the forum but didn't feel the need to leave feedback in return... maybe I should just go back and start deleting the feedback I left for them(?) Would that help encourage people to be more diligent about it(?)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting switching it to neutral or negative... just flat out deleting the positive feedback and has no detrimental impact on their feedback scores. Or does it(?)

Since there is no incentive to leave return feedback after the deal is done and they've gotten "theirs", would it help to encourage the practice, or would it just be too petty? Thoughts?
I honestly think it has something to do with the way the site manages feedback. I've had a couple of times where I had to explain to someone how to leave it. Most people don't know to click on the feedback number to get to the screen that allows you to review the transaction. I even forgot how to do it when I had taken a long break from selling. Maybe after looking for awhile, they get frustrated and give up? Just a theory. I personally still think it's worth the time and if I was willing to take the time to make the transaction happen, it only follows that I should also make the time to leave feedback.

Feedback, either giving or receiving is not important to everybody. I give it every chance I remember to do so. But if somebody doesn't give it, life goes on and I don't lose sleep.
I also have no qualms about asking the other person to leave feedback. Usually, if you're polite about it, they'll do it. Otherwise if you say nothing maybe they see it as not important.

Some people don't want any record of their deals. Some people probably don't know how to use it. And some people probably don't care about feedback on an internet forum. There's lots of reasons why people don't leave it. Removing your own feedback because they didn't leave one for you? That's a tit-for-tat game I don't care to play. :D

Some people don't want any record of their deals. Some people probably don't know how to use it. And some people probably don't care about feedback on an internet forum. There's lots of reasons why people don't leave it. Removing your own feedback because they didn't leave one for you? That's a tit-for-tat game I don't care to play. :D
Petty and spiteful were the first two words that came to my mind.

Until a couple days ago after this thread posted, it's never occurred to me to even look if someone left me feedback. I haven't used the classifieds much here though.

I had someone try and buy a car I was selling asking if he could make payments. I said no. He accused me of not trusting him, and he was probably playing the race card. Later I thought I should have told him, sure, I'll take payments, and you can take possession after your last payment. Or don't you trust me?

I try to specify in the ad that I want cash only, no payments or checks or PayPal.

Another waste of time is when someone calls me on an ad within 2 or 3 days of its publication and asks me if I will now be willing to take half my asking price. I tell them call me back in 2 weeks.

I once sold a car with an ad and before I sold it someone called me for the address so they could swing by and take a look at it during the day. When I got home after work the car was missing a wheel cover. I'm so gullible.
Wow, you know what they say about people who assume. In this case, sounds like the buyer was assuming you had the financial provisions to be a bank. A lot of small businesses can't even afford to hand out loans, especially when they have to pay on collections if the buyer defaults.

I think the spirit of the question I was mainly posing was... would it be an effective way to help encourage folks to follow through and combat the apathy with regard to feedback? It is important to some. Mostly newer members, but all things considered... it's more about demonstrating courtesy toward one another, IMHO.

On the flip side, not doing so can certainly feed complacency in others. IE., If nearly half the people don't care and can't be bothered to return a courtesy... and the numbers really don't mean that much to me either... why should I waste my time? KWIM?

Human nature: If you often say "Hi" or "Thank you" to others and people routinely ignore you and walk away... eventually... you just stop doing it. :s0155:

That kind of goes along the same lines of at least letting a seller know the package they sent arrived and it's all good. I do that because I know I appreciate it when folks do the same when I ship them something, but it sure would be easy to just say, "if they want to know if I got it they can check the tracking themselves, can't they! If I haven't complained they should assume I'm good with it.":D

A little courtesy toward others is a good thing in my book and it doesn't cost anyone a thing.

Last Edited:
I think the spirit of the question I was mainly posing was... would it be an effective way to help encourage folks to follow through and combat the apathy with regard to feedback? It is important to some. Mostly newer members, but all things considered... it's more about demonstrating courtesy toward one another, IMHO.

On the flip side, not doing so can certainly feed complacency in others. IE., If nearly half the people don't care and can't be bothered to return a courtesy... and the numbers really don't mean that much to me either... why should I waste my time? KWIM?

Human nature: If you often say "Hi" or "Thank you" to others and people routinely ignore you and walk away... eventually... you just stop doing it. :s0155:
Lol.

In the spirit of infinite permutations of the law of unintended consequences, I just left someone a positive feedback for no reason at all.
And no , there was never a transaction either.

Lol.

In the spirit of infinite permutations of the law of unintended consequences, I just left someone a positive feedback for no reason at all.
And no , there was never a transaction either.
Now if said person doesn't reciprocate, are you going to stew about it, eventually developing feelings of animosity to that person and hoping to completely expunge the initial positive feelings expressed?

That kind of goes along the same lines of at least letting a seller know the package they sent arrived and it's all good. I do that because I know I appreciate it when folks do the same when I ship them something, but it sure would be easy to just say, "if they want to know if I got it they can check the tracking themselves, can't they! If I haven't complained they should assume I'm good with it.":D

A little courtesy toward others is a good thing in my book and it doesn't cost anyone a thing.

:D

AITAH if I delete previously left positive feedback?

My experience has been that only about 60% of folks actually leave feedback. I'm more typically the buyer and for the most part have been fortunate to deal with some really cool individuals, but I have to admit I do get a little peeved with folks that can't seem to be bothered to follow up with feedback.

Most typically, transactions go without a hitch. They offer something, I express interest and make a deal (most often with a single PM), communication is great from the seller, I always respond promptly and cordially in kind, they provide payment info, I pay immediately, confirm payment sent and provide shipping info, they ship, it arrives, all is well in the world and I leave positive feedback. Then crickets from the other side of the deal.

In the grand scheme of things it's not that big of a deal, but if I'm helping a persons online community reputation, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same in return.

Recently the thought crossed my mind of, hey! After a reasonable amount of time has passed (say a couple weeks) when they've been active on the forum but didn't feel the need to leave feedback in return... maybe I should just go back and start deleting the feedback I left for them(?) Would that help encourage people to be more diligent about it(?)

To be clear, I'm not suggesting switching it to neutral or negative... just flat out deleting the positive feedback and has no detrimental impact on their feedback scores. Or does it(?)

Since there is no incentive to leave return feedback after the deal is done and they've gotten "theirs", would it help to encourage the practice, or would it just be too petty? Thoughts?
Delete everything if it makes you feel better.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top