JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has CNN ever visited Tacoma?

Sad part, I lived in Tacoma while in the service in the early seventies. For a fisher or hunter, it was pretty great, the proximity to inexpensive outdoor sports. We also had a lot of family in both Tacoma and Seattle. Now, when I pass thru, which has been fairly often recently, I make sure I keep my doors locked. And I try not to touch anything.

Further irony, I don't see Seattle as the cesspool it was even a couple years ago.

Last Edited:
We lived in tacoma for a few years when we were first starting out. Like 2017-2020.
I always told people, I wouldn't have minded if I was a single dude but, not a place we wanted to raise our kids.
Lots of action 24/7 especially where we were in south tacoma.
But hey, it allowed us to get into this psycho housing market and almost double our money in a few years

IMG_2597.jpeg

More like the best town to get shot
Lot less likely to get shot in Tacoma than Yakima or Seattle, for example... I feel a whole lot safer in most parts of Tacoma than Seattle.

Just curious as to how many of those from other states chipping in to diss Tacoma ever lived there?

I'd a thousand times more want to live in T-Town over Seattle or Portland any day...

Most of us can actually afford to live there (unless you're trying to score a trendy Victorian in Proctor or anything with a view of The Narrows or Chambers Bay).

The Hilltop has even gotten yuppified.

Two excellent hospitals, plus a couple others, with a lot of medical and care available.

You can usually find parking without having to pay for it.

Some phenomenal restaurants, a pretty vibrant dining out scene.

Nice waterfront. Great parks. Good zoo for the kids.. Some excellent museums.

Events at the T-Dome? You can actually park at that venue.

Great golf course. A couple really great marinas too for the boaters out there.

Good sports town (especially if you have kids in high school). Night games at Cheney watching the Rainiers is an inexpensive way to spend a chill night out with friends or family.

Some decent gun shops. Two indoor ranges, two gun clubs, Bass Pro Shop, SportCo, Sportsmans Warehouse...

I honestly don't get all the Tacoma hate. But then, I'm originally from Detroit, and still get sick of all the people talking **** about the city who've never spent even one day there.

Last Edited:
Lot less likely to get shot in Tacoma than Yakima or Seattle, for example... I feel a whole lot safer in most parts of Tacoma than Seattle.

Just curious as to how many of those from other states chipping in to diss Tacoma ever lived there?

I'd a thousand times more want to live in T-Town over Seattle or Portland any day...

Most of us can actually afford to live there (unless you're trying to score a trendy Victorian in Proctor or anything with a view of The Narrows or Chambers Bay).

Two excellent hospitals, plus a couple others, with a lot of medical and care available.

Good sports town (especially if you have kids in high school). Night games at Cheney watching the Rainiers is an inexpensive way to spend a chill night out with friends or family.

Some decent gun shops. Two indoor ranges, two gun clubs, Bass Pro Shop, SportCo, Sportsmans Warehouse...

I honestly don't get all the Tacoma hate. But then, I'm originally from Detroit, and still get sick of all the people talking **** about the city who've never spent even one day there.
I was kind of thinking this would make a good sign for Tacoma. Welcome, at least we are not Seattle :s0140:

Well, for us, it was constantly having crack heads snooping around our house trying to steal bubblegum or having conversations with themselves on the sidewalk out front. Stupid people flying down Residential streets at 50+ mph, drug deals with the potential to go south just across the street, the porch pirates were relentless, and lots of drive bys in the hood.
Just normal everyday stuff in south tacoma

It was wayyyyy worse in the late 80's than it is today. That's a fact, Jack.

My son-in-law, 4th generation in a family-owned business in Tacoma, calls it the armpit of Washington. The business has bought two properties outside the city limits and will move the warehouse, vehicles, offices, etc. to get away from weekly break-ins, homeless taking a dump on their front steps, vehicle theft while employees are on the job, etc. That said, the city, on the whole, has improved since UW established a campus downtown.

Daughter and son-in-law live on the southside. One of their neighbors was shot to death on the sidewalk next to their house after making the wrong drunken remark to people at a party three houses away. My daughter came into the kitchen and asked me and the son-in-law to check on a guy laying on the sidewalk. He was unresponsive, but when I rolled him over there was two contact wounds in the center chest. Fluttery pulse, but I knew he wasn't going to make it. Gave strong chest compressions until the ambulance and police arrived. Shooter was caught a couple days later.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top