JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey all
We intend to grab a beach house off of Airbnb. Wondering what beach is best for all around stuff for kids, but for sure razor clam digging. What month is best for that? And the least likely month for red tide. Which isn't red tide really BS? For health reasons and all.

Long Beach, WA for razor clams. Bare minimum Astoria area. Anything farther South is a crap shoot and the clams tend to be tiny.

Ocean Shores is a sub division on the Washington coast that was heavily marketed and an infamous failure where many people lost money. I don't remember the particulars or know the current status but was a scheme that a lot of people lost on.

from Wiki: On July 6, 1788, English fur trader John Meares (1756?-1809) names the northern side of the entrance to the Columbia River, Cape Disappointment. The name reflects Meares' chagrin at not finding the Columbia River. Cape Disappointment rises on Washington's coast at the mouth of the Columbia River.

~~~~I heard he was looking for clams there....;)

Long Beach has good shellfish opportunities. And the estuaries around there are world class for salmon fishing...
It's a good place to buy an acre and spend the fourth.
Or you can go to Lincoln city if you are more concerned with particular accommodations.

April ,May and June are the best for lowest and day time tides. The heaviest concentration of razors are from the mouth of the Colombia to Tillamook Head. Basically that's Seaside North to the Columbia. There are diggable numbers South of there too. You just have to hunt more. If you're into bay clams Tillamook bay, Nehalem Bay and Neatarts Bays have clams. A boat is helpful in these bays.

As far as "To do" goes, I only go to the coast to do clamming and camping...Seaside has bunch of family stuff I believe. But I have the feeling Seaside is there to fleece the tourist...But what coastal town isn't? It's the closest to PDX so there's that.

Enjoy where ever you go. :)

Thanks all for the tips! You know I'm stupid. I never took advantage of the Oregon coast much. Like never. And my whole family loves seafood. Loves the big waves. Love the storms.

Thanks all for the tips! You know I'm stupid. I never took advantage of the Oregon coast much. Like never. And my whole family loves seafood. Loves the big waves. Love the storms.

I'm not sure how going to the coast, and getting good seafood tie in? Unless you're going to buy it at a place you know for sure it's fresh, and cook it yourself. You can get some pretty lousy crap at coastal restaurants. And because you're on "The Coast" they'll fleece you like a "Tourist". Best bet as far as eating out is to get solid references from folks here. Or, if your're on ifish.net you could ask?

If you end up buying and cooking it yourself remember the old axiom "ALWAYS SMELL IT FIRST" . Words to live by!

hey all
We intend to grab a beach house off of Airbnb. Wondering what beach is best for all around stuff for kids, but for sure razor clam digging. What month is best for that? And the least likely month for red tide. Which isn't red tide really BS? For health reasons and all.
FWIW, AirBnB is extremely lefty in it's views and policies. I recommend using VRBO.com (stands for Vacation Rentals By Owner), if you choose not to support such things. You will see a lot of the same listings and they are usually about the same price for the bottom line, while the price structuring is a bit different.

Last Edited:
I had good luck clamming Garibaldi at Tillamook Bay. Also crabbing and salmon fishing. There are sandy beaches nearby. Check tides. We went in May.

Red tide is a real thing... not good for you.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top