JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC the magnum chamber is built stronger to handle the pressure.
A longer cartridge has more case volume for more powder will have more pressure.

If you want to find a -starting point- to reduce the load for 38spl using a trimmed down magnum case, then measure the water capacity of the trimmed down magnum case vs the standard 38spl case, and apply that difference for the powder charge. This will show the true difference in the case web thickness, if any.

I don't think you'll see any real difference from shortening the case. reason being is that rounds that use Hornady FTX bullets us a shortened case to compensate for the bullet length and the recipe from Hornady for them is the same as FMJ or XTP bullets.

Last Edited:
Not a good idea.
It starts with the fact that you are destroying the designed in safety of the 357 case by shortening it.
Now the experimental round can be chambered in a 38 SPL revolver.

Do you use full book loads or down load them a tad?
I load low-mid range w231 under a 158g. Still over starting load in Lee literature.
And what happens when someone accidentally puts one of those higher pressure rounds in a revolver chambered/designed for .38 Special?
They're going to have a bad day. I clearly mark my boxes, and I don't shoot with other people generally. Furthermore, only I shoot my reloads, and I don't own a .38sp gun. I get it's not best practice, and not safe for everyone, but like I said, I've been doing it for a long time with no issues, and will continue doing in the future. It's not for everyone.

And what happens when someone accidentally puts one of those higher pressure rounds in a revolver chambered/designed for .38 Special?
1718817043569.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top