JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And, don't forget about the proper lubrication of your firearm.

Aloha, Mark
LOLLL - I've been shooting 1911 since 1968 - they taught me to strip and clean a 1911 in basic!
I usually strip it every 300 rnds, since much of my shooting has been just one mag a day while testing springs and different mags
my range sessions are in the front yard so almost never exceed 50 rnds a day
and 1911s do work in the rain!

COME-on-man.jpg

LOL. Good for you.

"Proper Lubrication" as in also......
Besides the "correct spots"....
Using some kind of grease on the rails (even barrel, spring guide, etc...) or oil?

"I use ___xyz product/brand_____ so I KNOW it's good stuff."

"Nah.....Whale Poop is the best."

OK, Ok, ok.....no matter, it's all up to YOU.

BTW.....I use grease. ;)

That being said.......

So now you've figured out that springs can make a difference.

lighten-up-Francis.jpg

OK, Ok, ok.....
Don't take anything personal here.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
years ago, others told me to find the ammo my firearm liked and stick with that load

then I discovered Wolff springs - and the World changed for me

Ruger, Smith, Glock, even HK, they have them all

Have a Colt 1911 9 mm with Match barrel. Cleaned and oiled gun repeatedly. Two thousand rounds fired before issue. Have had great success with no malfunctions with handloads until recently. No idea how many rounds were fired by previous shooter. Slide doesn't go into full battery. Tried different reloads of 115 to 125 grains bullet. Seems ok with remanufactured ammo. Has factory dual springs. First question. Outer spring has red paint on one end. What should be correct orientation? Follow up question, should I consider replacing old springs? Brownell is out of stock on both outer and inner. Other sources offer single spring.

Please point to source for proper spring. Please recommend a recommended weight spring.

Thanks

Have a Colt 1911 9 mm with Match barrel. Cleaned and oiled gun repeatedly. Two thousand rounds fired before issue. Have had great success with no malfunctions with handloads until recently. No idea how many rounds were fired by previous shooter. Slide doesn't go into full battery. Tried different reloads of 115 to 125 grains bullet. Seems ok with remanufactured ammo. Has factory dual springs. First question. Outer spring has red paint on one end. What should be correct orientation? Follow up question, should I consider replacing old springs? Brownell is out of stock on both outer and inner. Other sources offer single spring.

Please point to source for proper spring. Please recommend a recommended weight spring.

Thanks
I run single springs in both my 1911 9mm and .45
sorry I can't help
but it does eject, just doesn't go into full battery after stripping a round out of the magazine
have you tried a different mag incase your mag lip is damaged and offering increased resistance

Remember, there's 2 springs in play during the recoil cycle...the action or otherwise called the recoil spring, and the hammer spring. Another thing that affects the recoil impulse, is the firing pin stop...specifically the shape at the bottom.

As for 9mm spring rate...10-12lb single spring.

Remember, there's 2 springs in play during the recoil cycle...the action or otherwise called the recoil spring, and the hammer spring. Another thing that affects the recoil impulse, is the firing pin stop...specifically the shape at the bottom.

Less Bauer make a very fine firing pin stop with a radius between a flat bottom and full radius
I noticed a difference on my .45
for my 9mm, I run a full radius stop

during a quick search, I could not find a Colt dual spring replacement
you may try a progressive spring from Wolff until they are back in stock
at least it will tell you if the spring is your issue

I run a full length guide rod on my 9mm

Less Bauer make a very fine firing pin stop with a radius between a flat bottom and full radius
I noticed a difference on my .45
for my 9mm, I run a full radius stop
The radius at the bottom was changed because the calvary would carry the 1911 with an empty chamber, and found it more difficult to chamber a round while riding...thus the gradual radius was made...unfortunately it made the recoil impulse a bit harsher.

A square bottom firing stop, like those made by EGW, put the 1911 cycling back to original Browning design. When installing, just break the edge that contacts the hammer, so it rides smooth.

Much help from all. Thinking might be experiencing "glock bulge." Just ordered a basic tool that my reloading bench lacked. Will do penance following confession. Lyman case gauge will be here late Thursday from Amazon. If this helps, all good. If not then will purchase other springs. YouTube shows easy change of trigger spring. Wouldn't know that if this Forum wasn't supported by informed and intelligent shooters.

The best thing to get for a loader is a both a case and chamber gauge. A case gauge is for length, a chamber gauge will measure both length and other parts of the cartridge...diameter, shoulder etc.

Not nit picking buuuuuuuut, when I hear a 1911 part called something odd it throws flags extremely fast.

Trigger spring...no such thing in a 1911. Not going to trash the Youtube person too bad...but if that's what they're calling it....hmmmmm

My bad. Hammer spring. Thus, my ignorance is revealed. Not YouTube, my bad. Have length gauge and calipers, which I exercise. Looking forward to using proper tool. May still pursue additional springs, as I like to learn and have better experiences with shooting. Only recently acquired brass from another source. Normally all my brass for reloads originate with shooting it first.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top