JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We all have that friend who texts to say he or she is running late—after you were already supposed to meet. Now businesses have a way of putting those flakes in their place: They're charging for not showing up.

Getting a haircut used to be a low-tech operation at Harbor Barber, where stylists prefer scissors to clippers and appointments were scheduled by pencil and paper. But owner Greg Krupa had to go digital to stop no-show customers from trimming his profits.

These days, missing an appointment can cost customers up to $100—double the price of a normal haircut. Krupa doesn't care if the new policy at his Huntington Beach, Calif., barbershop earns some negative reviews or costs him a few customers.

"We're not like Supercuts, where I have to worry about your corporate feelings," he said.

I love it. Many places probably will lose some customers, most likely the ones they can do without. So damn many people who grew up never being told no and everything handed to them are notorious for this crap. Roll in :45 late to an appointment and just expect that the whole world is there to serve them.

We all have that friend who texts to say he or she is running late—after you were already supposed to meet. Now businesses have a way of putting those flakes in their place: They're charging for not showing up.

Getting a haircut used to be a low-tech operation at Harbor Barber, where stylists prefer scissors to clippers and appointments were scheduled by pencil and paper. But owner Greg Krupa had to go digital to stop no-show customers from trimming his profits.

These days, missing an appointment can cost customers up to $100—double the price of a normal haircut. Krupa doesn't care if the new policy at his Huntington Beach, Calif., barbershop earns some negative reviews or costs him a few customers.

"We're not like Supercuts, where I have to worry about your corporate feelings," he said.

Yep…. Even a $20 deposit on a "service appointment" will generally help clients keep their appointments.

I hope it works both ways. When you book someone to perform a service or maintenance and they don't show. The 'ol, my truck didn't start because I got a higher paying call, routine.

You lose a day of work or two because now you have to call someone else 🙄.

Seems like this would open up a counter demand for the customer not being taken care of at the scheduled time. IE you're sitting in the chiropractors office 1/2 hour, 45 minutes and hour past your appointment time because the doctors running late! Or is it because they were over scheduled for the day. I know my time is worth money. I had this very conversation with a mouthy receptionist at a chiropractors office for being 5 minutes late when I sat waiting for a half hour past my scheduled appointment the previous visit.

Last Edited:
Seems like this would open up a counter demand for the customer not being taken care of at the scheduled time. IE you're sitting in the chiropractors office 1/2 hour, 45 minutes and hour past your appointment time because the doctors running late! Or is it because they were over scheduled for the day. I know my time is worth money. I had this very conversation with a mouthy receptionist at a chiropractors office for being 5 minutes late when I sat waiting for a half hour past my scheduled appointment this previous visit.
It's a 2 way street

Our doctors off will charge for missed appointments even if you call the day before, I think it 48 hours to avoid it. yet I have no recourse for having to sit an hour or more past mine "appointment" because they way over book daily.
I waited five hours for zipply fiber to show, no show, again I scheduled them and waited another five hours, no show, the third time I waited four hours, they came at the last minutes examined the unit and said it was too old they would not fix it so needed to "upgrade" ! of course for more money!
Altogether another three hours is added in phone calls trying to set things up.

Unfortunately its just a miniscule representation of the total lack of courtesy and service that's infected our country.

Krupa doesn't care if the new policy at his Huntington Beach, Calif., barbershop earns some negative reviews or costs him a few customers.
And you KNOW, that a clip joint in "Huntington Beach" is one HIGH Class price to pay! Problem is, like a lot of wealthy folks, especially in Cally-Fornia, believe their butts don't stink.

Hard to believe my Uber-frugal parents could/would take a 7-day vacation at Newport Beach in an apartment ON the beach. Back in the '60s.

I can't get past the $50 haircut part of that story. What? Years ago I bought a Remington brand hair clipper for $65 and do my own. My wife helps me get the back of my neck. That thing has payed for itself multiple times over even at the $15 rate I'd been paying. Snap on the ol' #2 guide and go to buzzin'!
Granted, I am not nor will I ever try to win a beauty contest, but sheesh! $50? How vain are we?

Last Edited:
We see about a 20-30% no-show rates for the classes my wife and I teach. All students pay in full when they register and we make it very clear that no-shows will not be refunded. Our students are generally fairly affluent, but we still get a few complaints every month. We'll work with people who give us some notice, but no-shows are SOL. Anyone who can't take a few seconds to let us know they won't make it are exactly the type of people I don't want to deal with.

I can't get pas the $50 haircut part of that story. What? Years ago I bought a Remington brand hair clipper for $65 and do my own. My wife helps me get the back of my neck. That thing has payed for itself multiple times over even at the $15 rate I'd been paying. Snap on the ol' #2 guide and go to buzzin'!
Granted, I am not nor will I ever try to win a beauty contest, but sheesh! $50? How vain are we?
Buzzer on zero for me. Nice and short, been buzzing or shaving my head twice a month or more for the last 15 years. Call it 25 cuts a year that's 375 cuts at $15 that's $5625 I haven't given to a barber. I'm on my second set of clippers but it doesn't matter. I'm still waaaaay ahead

Buzzer on zero for me. Nice and short, been buzzing or shaving my head twice a month or more for the last 15 years. Call it 25 cuts a year that's 375 cuts at $15 that's $5625 I haven't given to a barber. I'm on my second set of clippers but it doesn't matter. I'm still waaaaay ahead
I have a friend that's 35$ a week at the barber. I'm a once a year kinda guy. Rest of the time I do it myself

Snap on the ol' #2 guide and go to buzzin'!
This is what I do! Military for years so, no brainer to keep it short in civilian life. Not paying someone to do what I can do at home and don't have to make an appt.:s0155:

I realize not everyone is ugly like me and the need for a style is there.:)

main-qimg-adcbccc82e693226d0d22fe33a803632-lq.jpeg

W P P

I just stopped by dollar tree to get my energy drink fix. They were not open as scheduled. Poor kid out front said he'd been waiting for an hour since he doesn't have a key. I am guessing the DT employee with key is holed up in PSU library.

How do I go about getting my no show fee? 20 energy drinks will suffice as payment.

Lucky for our customers, I have back up energy drinks and we will be open at 10am as scheduled.

I can't get pas the $50 haircut part of that story. What? Years ago I bought a Remington brand hair clipper for $65 and do my own. My wife helps me get the back of my neck. That thing has payed for itself multiple times over even at the $15 rate I'd been paying. Snap on the ol' #2 guide and go to buzzin'!
I've been cutting my own hair since the mid 90's.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top