JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the day I had a friend that bought a brand new Nikon F3, had it on her kitchen table and bumped it off onto the carpeted floor. It was DRT, not a scratch or dent on it ,but it hit just right and the electronics where toast. Had to pay Nikon to get it fixed and about a week after she got it back it slipped off her shoulder at the top of her apartment stairs, it bounced down a flight of cement stairs, had a huge dent in the prism and the lens filter was cracked. But other than that it was totally fine and never gave her a lick of trouble.
Sometimes it takes just the right whack in the wrong place

I traded for a pistol on this forum and it was a part of that. It did come with original packaging tho and it's on a high end Glock so it's more likely real than not but we'll find out!
Can you post photos of the X300? As well as the underside of the tail cap where the battery terminals are?

I traded for a pistol on this forum and it was a part of that. It did come with original packaging tho and it's on a high end Glock so it's more likely real than not but we'll find out!
These days it can be incredibly difficult to tell the knock-offs from the originals without having them side by side and knowing what to look for. Even the packaging... sometimes it boils down to the texture, color shade or reflectiveness of the package material but is otherwise indistinguishable. The higher the ticket item the more care that's taken to detail to pass them of as genuine.
Can you post photos of the X300? As well as the underside of the tail cap where the battery terminals are?
Yeah. The terminals and springs are "usually" a good tell-tale for knock-offs, but not always. The counterfeiters learn what people are watching for and adapt. The biggy on the surefire.. it should have the surefire logo printed across the top directly on the circuit board itself.

In the photo you can kinda see the barcode and "FC" printed on the forward topside.. so that's accurate for real ones. It looks to have the spacers on either side of the clip as well... which is also consistent with a genuine surefire... and often absent on the knock-offs.

I'll be curious what surefire has to say too. I guess it's not impossible for something the get a miracle hit and fail, but their polymer is pretty top shelf and difficult to believe both sides would shear clean off like that with a low level drop. Not to mention the back plate breakage.

The other possibility is it really is genuine and surefire quality has tanked to cut costs(?)

Unless the circuit board printing is absent... other main indicators I'm aware of do seem to indicate it's more likely... genuine. Of course... it could just be a higher end knock-off and can't really know 100% without a side by side with a known genuine light of the same model. IE., Is the barcode and FC the correct size, spacing, ink shade and sharpness(?)

Last Edited:
Only real difference I see from your provided photos and the FDE X300U-A I have is that the "catch lever" that retains the backing plate is FDE on mine and black on yours…. Not saying that means anything.

IMG_3739.jpeg

You should be good to go...
Every piece was damaged (excluding the battery)... SUREFIRE replaced it even though the damage was not their fault.
ui_SF00.JPG

ui_SF03.JPG

ui_SF01.JPG

ui_SF02.JPG

Last Edited:
Looks just like mine minus the black lever.

When it fell did it land vertical on the lens?

Have you heard anything from surefire yet?
I believe it landed flat on the side of the gun on the protruding switch. The switch was in the off position then once I picked it all up it was in the on position. It's a hardwood floor and if it landed lens down I would have had a big floor ding, but no evidence of that.

I believe it landed flat on the side of the gun on the protruding switch. The switch was in the off position then once I picked it all up it was in the on position. It's a hardwood floor and if it landed lens down I would have had a big floor ding, but no evidence of that.
That's crazy!

Did you have an optic on it?

No joke! If that's all it took for a rapid disassembly.....
It makes you wonder if there wasn't some SNAFU with the polymer blending or something. That's just wrong....
Yea I'm wondering if the poly had some unseen structural error. It happens….. luckily not very often with Surefire/high end items.

Yea I'm wondering if the poly had some unseen structural error. It happens….. luckily not very often with Surefire/high end items.
Makes you wonder too if it hadn't been more seriously knocked about and compromised prior to that (possibly prior to purchase), but appeared intact and was discounted... then that seemingly minor drop was just enough to finish it off(?)

Paying hefty price tags for company reputation and reliability it's hard to swallow a catastrophic failure like that. I'm sure Surefire will make good, but still something to take notice of.

Trij RMR. No issues with anything else.
Well that's good! Haha. It's crazy that it broke right there. I would have thought if properly mounted there would have been no room for it to slam into the back plate/switch…..

Unless the inertia of the fall just blew through the plastic…. The plastic is the most protected spot when pushed up against the trigger guard. If dropped on the side I would have thought the switch/side that made contact should have broke vs the middle blowing out. But it's plastic… not glass so who knows how the impact affects it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews