JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well it doesn't say "the right to bear arms for the people that have a home shall not be infringed". ;)
Agreed! However... to complete an unconstitutional BGC... they require identifying information to add to their registry. The registry is pointless if they don't know which door to knock in to shoot your dog.:D

Agreed! However... to complete an unconstitutional BGC... they require identifying information to add to their registry. The registry is pointless if they don't know which door to knock in to shoot your dog.:D
It's ok, they don't care whose dog they shoot, as long as they get to shoot one.

I wanted to follow up on this thread, I wound up talking to two separate people at OSP about this. You can indeed purchase a firearm if your drivers license has your address listed as "continuous traveler" but you also need to present some kind of government identification with your home address listed. This could be voter registration, fishing license, CHL, etc. Getting yourself designated as a CT from the DMV would be a great way to keep your home address private while not totally restricting yourself from being able to purchase firearms.

I wanted to follow up on this thread, I wound up talking to two separate people at OSP about this. You can indeed purchase a firearm if your drivers license has your address listed as "continuous traveler" but you also need to present some kind of government identification with your home address listed. This could be voter registration, fishing license, CHL, etc. Getting yourself designated as a CT from the DMV would be a great way to keep your home address private while not totally restricting yourself from being able to purchase firearms.
I don't know that much about it and just curious. If your physical address is on other state records and will be on your 4473, how does your DL not having it printed on it keep your physical address private? I mean... DMV still requires a physical mailing address on file, too... and a physical address is still tied to you on state records.

Just in the event you have to show your DL for something your physical address isn't readily visible?

From the sounds of it, it's still required for a BGC, right?

I don't know that much about it and just curious. If your physical address is on other state records and will be on your 4473, how does your DL not having it printed on it keep your physical address private? I mean... DMV still requires a physical mailing address on file, too... and a physical address is still tied to you on state records.

Just in the event you have to show your DL for something your physical address isn't readily visible?

From the sounds of it, it's still required for a BGC, right?
The goal here isn't to get a firearm without government knowledge, that's what Polymer 80s are for. If you have no concern about your address being on the internet then going through the process of getting a protected address or continuous traveler address may not be worth the hassle. I personally try to keep my home address shielded as much as possible just because of my personal threat model due to a past career in law enforcement and some unsavory characters I encountered who may have a grudge against me. I use VPNs, generally give out aliases, use burner VOIP numbers, etc. Definitely deep into the Extreme Privacy lifestyle for the reason I describe above.

The Oregon DMV has repeatedly shown that they're irresponsible with the data of its customers; such as when they got caught selling data in early 2020 or recently when their shoddy IT practices resulted in the exposure of almost every person in their databases. You'll never really able to be truly private from the government unless you go live in an off-grid cabin in the woods, BUT you can do your best to limit which specific government entities know your true home address. For example, as far as the VA is concerned I live at a PO Box. The everyday use case however would be private businesses which sell data they collect. There's plenty of everyday interactions that require a drivers license, which have boat loads of information about you blasted on the face of the card for obvious reasons. Let's say you want to get a membership at a popular warehouse club (i.e. Costco, Sam's Club, etc). You likely need to give them a copy of your drivers license. They can then turn around and sell that information to data brokers. Now I'm not aware of those two places exact privacy policies so they might not sell that data but its an everyday example of how your home address can result in being leaked to the world without you being readily aware just from a seemingly harmless interaction.

I find the subject of Continuous Traveler status fascinating. I never knew such a status existed. My first thought was about the homeless, "Under west end of I-5 exit 111 bridge." Well, I followed your link and sure enough, something like that was an example given. A mailing address was still required.

There seems to be a lack of information about this subject in Wash. state. State law requires an address on a DL or ID card; they make an exception for a "confidentiality program," but when I tried to go there online, access was restricted. I guess you'd have to go to a DOL office to find out more on this subject. They did allow that homeless could use the address of a shelter or church.

I'm not worried overly about address security. By this point in my life, that information has to be out in hundreds of places.

Nowadays there is virtually no "anonymity" anywhere on the internet.

If someone is looking all they need to do is find someone who is computer savvy.

Unless big brother helps you scrub your info it is readily available somewhere on that interweb.

If you read that statue further....

"State of residence.The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921"

And allows maintaining of your home states residency status... so long as you actively maintain it. IE., Paying taxes is your home state.

You may be a resident for tax purposes in multiple states, but you can only have one domicile state with state issued ID... except as allowed, most commonly, for the military exception.

From my understanding... "can a situation exist for dual residency states?" Yes. But exceedingly rare and only under certain conditions. On the Fed level... that may include the requirement of 184 days physical residency in the "other" state.

Simply owning property in another state and living there for a period of time typically does not grant you "domicile" status and allow state ID to be issued without surrendering your domicile/residency status from your "home" state.

I guess what I was saying is that... there are exceptions... but generally speaking for the average Joe/Jane it's exceedingly rare and not as simple as just obtaining "residency for tax purposes" and obtaining some alternate form of some kind of state ID. (Excluding your DL/state ID of which you may only have one state of issue)
I can't be bothered to look it up right now but I believe there is a (tax?) law in the USC which also states that if you do not meet the residency requirements of any state then you are defaulted as a resident of your state of birth. I came across it a few years ago because for the last 10 years I have not physically been in any location long enough to meet the legal amount of time to establish residency in any state.

I can't be bothered to look it up right now but I believe there is a (tax?) law in the USC which also states that if you do not meet the residency requirements of any state then you are defaulted as a resident of your state of birth. I came across it a few years ago because for the last 10 years I have not physically been in any location long enough to meet the legal amount of time to establish residency in any state.
There are some other conditionals where that may be true, but I would imagine your state of birth would be fairly far down the list when no other conditions first applied or age dependent(?). IE., The state you last held a state ID in, the last state in which you filed your taxes, the last state in which you were a registered voter, the last state in which you had a vehicle registered in your name... paid utilities in your own name or had an active bank account, etc etc...

Of course, it may also depend on the purpose you are attempting to show "residency status" for (?)

"Continuous traveler". What a bunch of bull bubblegum.

Just watch some of those YouTube videos of those stupid pricks get completely destroyed by the judges. What a joke. Like they are above all laws and don't live ina society at all and are a universe unto themselves. Ridiculously stupid bubblegums.

"Continuous traveler". What a bunch of bull bubblegum.

Just watch some of those YouTube videos of those stupid pricks get completely destroyed by the judges. What a joke. Like they are above all laws and don't live ina society at all and are a universe unto themselves. Ridiculously stupid bubblegums.
Um... "continuous traveler" status for the purposes of your state ID/DL is not the same thing as those "constitutional citizen" whackjobs.

Um... "continuous traveler" status for the purposes of your state ID/DL is not the same thing as those "constitutional citizen" whackjobs.
Oh that's good. Those bubblegums are whacked out of their mind.

Just say you're temporary experiencing homelessness and used to be a resident of (insert super gun friendly state here). ;) Also as I recall ATF's defintion of state of residence is you intend to live there. Do a google search for it it's easy to find.

Last Edited:
Also as I recall ATF's defintion of state of residence is you intend to live there. Do a google search for it it's easy to find.
That is "one" of the requirements but not the only one and there are not dual residency standards at the state and fed level. States determine residency requirements for their state, recognized by the feebs and... generally speaking (because someone is going to point out that a handful of states recognize dual residency status for certain types of things and there is an exception, in certain circumstances, for military/government personnel)... a person can only hold residency status in one state at any given time.

IE., Washington State considers a person a "resident" for sales and use tax purposes if a person indicates they are planning on maintaining a presence in the state for more than a temporary or transient basis... even if they are an established resident of another state.

For a state to have the ability to tax you is the most common purpose to recognize "dual residency", but for other purposes.... only your official state of residency is recognized. Kinda throwing around the whole "residency" word pretty loosely. There are "shades of gray" in many states statutes.

That is "one" of the requirements but not the only one and there are not dual residency standards at the state and fed level. States determine residency requirements for their state, recognized by the feebs and... generally speaking (because someone is going to point out that a handful of states recognize dual residency status for certain types of things and there is an exception, in certain circumstances, for military/government personnel)... a person can only hold residency status in one state at any given time.

IE., Washington State considers a person a "resident" for sales and use tax purposes if a person indicates they are planning on maintaining a presence in the state for more than a temporary or transient basis... even if they are an established resident of another state.

For a state to have the ability to tax you is the most common purpose to recognize "dual residency", but for other purposes.... only your official state of residency is recognized. Kinda throwing around the whole "residency" word pretty loosely. There are "shades of gray" in many states statutes.
Piss on the WA bureaucrats. They just want to collect tax on everything they possibly can. They will hound a business for years trying to collect taxes on something that is not taxed. They are bastards. I would go with the atf definition.

Interesting conversation.

The word we are looking for is "Domicile". You need a legitimate address as your domicile. Several US Govt agencies and the USPS are cracking down on addresses and domiciles.

I've been effected by recent developments in this arena. After a number of years living address free. The list of things now effected includes, but is not limited to: Drivers license, Insurance of all kinds (auto, health, marine) vehicle registration, professional licenses, banking and investment...the list goes on. The Continuous Traveler address on your DL doesn't help a bit.

Unfortunately, I have a bunch of firearms to sell. It complicates things.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews