JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm kind of kicking around adding a Mossberg 930 to the mix at some point. It has been a lingering idea for some time, but I'm not 100% on the project yet. (The continuing 114 insanity, however, is a point to consider.) The variant would be interested in is the one with 8+1 magazine capacity.

A few parts / smithing questions:

• It appears wood furniture is available for those of us not hip to the plastic fantastic. Any potential hiccups? Other than Mossie, other vendors to consider? I'd imagine Boyds has something.
  • I normally keep sighting systems simple and low tech, but would be open to ideas on high visibility type on this sort of scattergun.
  • Recommended light system for such a rig? For a defensive shotgun, I consider this kind of a "must have".
  • Any reason Pro-Porting (Mag-na-port's shotgun service) would be inadvisable? (Certainly not a biggie, but I've had good results in the, albeit limited, times I've availabled myself of said in the past.)
Thanks much!

I can't really give you a great answer to your questions, however I'll suggest you shoot one before you buy if at all possible. I bought the 8+1 security model and there were some things I hadn't considered could be issues before shooting it. It's a really good gun with amazingly light recoil. Shot it same day with my 500 and saiga 12. Again, though, I suggest thoroughly fondling one before buying one

Roger that @TTSX. Any issues stand out that you didn't care for?
My largest problem is if I'm loading it and I don't get the round ALL the way into the tube, it'll pop out and land in the loading elevator assembly and prevent loading anything further so it could end up being a 2 shot weapon. I believe it also caused issues with "top off" loading, though I don't explicitly remember. I'm sure it's a training issue, just not one that I expected to encounter. I also really don't like the way the factory bolt knob/charging handle feels so it's an additional expense. The round one Mossberg sells is better than the pointy spade one in my hands

Again, though it's a great shooter and I'm overall very pleased. Just didn't foresee a couple personality quirks

The 930 is a wonderful shotgun as long as you stay on top of things. Being an HD gun, most of the issues I encountered should not come to fruition for you since it involves moisture.

You can always go "wood like" as I did when I retired mine to strictly upland.

1705274635926.png

Some tips:

The gas system hates water, period, and is no bueno for a duck gun. I bought the latest gucci parts to combat it, but I would still have issues. You need to keep it clean and dry. Wipe the mag tube with oil then buff it off.

The area in the rear of the receiver is a gunk and powder magnet. It can build up enough that it will jam up the safety which can be a bear to get apart to clean. Just something to keep an eye on.

re Bolt Handle: Buy some spares and keep in your range bag. I have spent many a duck hunt using a Leatherman to rack the action when the handle flew into the water or the weeds.

I'm kind of kicking around adding a Mossberg 930 to the mix at some point. It has been a lingering idea for some time, but I'm not 100% on the project yet. (The continuing 114 insanity, however, is a point to consider.) The variant would be interested in is the one with 8+1 magazine capacity.

A few parts / smithing questions:

• It appears wood furniture is available for those of us not hip to the plastic fantastic. Any potential hiccups? Other than Mossie, other vendors to consider? I'd imagine Boyds has something.
  • I normally keep sighting systems simple and low tech, but would be open to ideas on high visibility type on this sort of scattergun.
  • Recommended light system for such a rig? For a defensive shotgun, I consider this kind of a "must have".
  • Any reason Pro-Porting (Mag-na-port's shotgun service) would be inadvisable? (Certainly not a biggie, but I've had good results in the, albeit limited, times I've availabled myself of said in the past.)
Thanks much!
I have one that I just cannot get rid of. Put it up for sale only to go and get it back!

Sight system is a Ghost ring and a light tube up front. Great sight, doesn't need a RD at all. I like it as is.

Put a GG & G barrel clamp up front with a 2 1/2" rail on one side. Many other options available.

Changed out the bolt release for a GG & G pad style release, removing the button. and added an Esstac card on the receiver

I get lots of good comments on it at the LGS.

FWIW the Jerry Miculek inspired 940 has (I believe) superseded the 930 in Mossberg's lineup. Mossberg says the shortcomings of the 930 have been fixed in the 940. Many people on the internets are comparing the 940 to far more expensive Italian shotguns.

FWIW the Jerry Miculek inspired 940 has (I believe) superseded the 930 in Mossberg's lineup. Mossberg says the shortcomings of the 930 have been fixed in the 940. Many people on the internets are comparing the 940 to far more expensive Italian shotguns.
This is correct. The 930 is no longer. But to me the JM 940 is less of a self defense shotgun and more of an expensive longer barreled shotgun. Not saying its lesser just not one to use in a hallway. IMO

Try Oregon 3 Gun, (OR3Gun.com) down in the Southern Coast area They have lots of candy for the 930, gas system makeover sets etc.
You mentioned sights...they have a neat rifle sight makeover set that uses a 1911 base.

Last Edited:
Thanks all for the thoughts. Wasn't aware 930 was no more, but 940 still with us. I find a lot of the latter on Gunbroker now, like this:

1706985436928.png

A seven plus one shot semi-auto, with top mounted safety, seems quite neato. Most are just under a grand. So, same question:

• Wood furniture available?
  • What light to attach?
Thanks! :s0155:

Thanks all for the thoughts. Wasn't aware 930 was no more, but 940 still with us. I find a lot of the latter on Gunbroker now, like this:

View attachment 1814997

A seven plus one shot semi-auto, with top mounted safety, seems quite neato. Most are just under a grand. So, same question:

• Wood furniture available?
  • What light to attach?
Thanks! :s0155:
BUT WAIT! Mossberg has a new 940 Pro Thunder Ranch in a pump and one in the semi-auto. I have yet to see one available but they are nice looking. The pump will probably retail for around $600 and the tactical somewhere around $1200

My boyds wood forend didn't quite fit fwiw, so I have left mine in the plastic and aluminum camp for now. I do think an 18 Inch choke compatible barrel would be a tremendous addition to mine. (For a salvo 12)

This is correct. The 930 is no longer. But to me the JM 940 is less of a self defense shotgun and more of an expensive longer barreled shotgun. Not saying its lesser just not one to use in a hallway. IMO
There is now a 940 PRO Tactical. 7+1. It goes 1500 rounds between cleanings instead of half that like the 930. It comes with a cutout for mounting a red dot. One variant comes with a Holosun red dot mounted. It has the feed area altered so you can load fast without pitching fingers. Takes Mossberg accu-choke chokes and comes with Cylinder installed. Has shims to adjust LOP and Drop. Right now on gunbroker the versions without the Holosun sight installed are under $1000. Those with red dot install are a little over a thousand up.

I bought the version with the Holosun red dot installed on Gunbroker for $1,030 no CC fee. 39.99 for shipping. Picked it up at my lgs just last week. WOW!!! The trigger pull is way better than I was expecting on a shotgun in this price range. There is about 2mm of resistance-free take-up, then a completely crisp clean break. I'd guesstimate about 4 lbs. I was elated. And I loved the red dot. First time I've looked through one. I'm an instant fan. What a joy for 78-year-old eyes!

I was looking for the 940 Pro Thunder Ranch editions but they are so new that they are OOS for now. But then I just put in for a Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol. Hopefully in hand mid-next week