JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger Hawkeye Guide for the Win!
1694900490171.png
Ruger really did their homework with these, size and weight are appropriate for the calibers, and Ruger really has mastered the black arts of barrel manufacturing! This rifle is chambered in .338 Win Mag, with it's 22 inch barrel, it squeezes the max performance potential out of that caliber while still being light and slick and fast, exactly what a good scout SHOULD be! XC trit Irons are the only mod, and I keep the length short to allow for accurate shooting in less then ideal weather and while wearing heavy layers! Outside my Tikka Supervarmint .30/06, this rifle gets the lions share of hunting these days! I also have this Ruger in .30/06, you really cannot go wrong with that chambering, but the .338 is a sledge Hammer when that kind of performance is required!

View attachment 1488714
Ruger really did their homework with these, size and weight are appropriate for the calibers, and Ruger really has mastered the black arts of barrel manufacturing! This rifle is chambered in .338 Win Mag, with it's 22 inch barrel, it squeezes the max performance potential out of that caliber while still being light and slick and fast, exactly what a good scout SHOULD be! XC trit Irons are the only mod, and I keep the length short to allow for accurate shooting in less then ideal weather and while wearing heavy layers! Outside my Tikka Supervarmint .30/06, this rifle gets the lions share of hunting these days! I also have this Ruger in .30/06, you really cannot go wrong with that chambering, but the .338 is a sledge Hammer when that kind of performance is required!
Dude I love that.

Buy A Savage scout rifle in .308 win and then swap out the barrel for a .358 win barrel, I think a short barreled .358 win would be a great brush gun/scout rifle.

The Scout rifle was intended to reach out to 600 yards effectively, with strict restrictions. It was proposed in the 80s, and unfortunately I would say it's a dead class. With 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, and 6mm ARC chambered AR15s (all of which are effective out there 600 yards, and are lighter and shorter than the weight/length restrictions), it's almost impossible to recommend a Scout rifle.

Obviously 308 and 7mm-08 both have more energy at distances compared to the above mentioned calibers, but they also result in more recoil and more weight, and for deer, intermediate cartridges will work.

The Scout rifle was intended to reach out to 600 yards effectively, with strict restrictions. It was proposed in the 80s, and unfortunately I would say it's a dead class. With 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, and 6mm ARC chambered AR15s (all of which are effective out there 600 yards, and are lighter and shorter than the weight/length restrictions), it's almost impossible to recommend a Scout rifle.

Obviously 308 and 7mm-08 both have more energy at distances compared to the above mentioned calibers, but they also result in more recoil and more weight, and for deer, intermediate cartridges will work.
Yeah but bolt action scout rifles are cool, and I'm not in an action movie.

View attachment 1488714
If you ever decide to get rid of the 30-06, let me know!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews