JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'll submit this project for public opinion and feedback, it's a culmination of about ten years of reading, lessons from experience in the field, and many, many attempts at finding a firearm configuration best suited to hunting the Pacific Northwest, particularly the western foothills. From the low end of the power band, I've tried 6.5 Grendel and 6x45 out of an AR platform trying to keep weight down but decided they lacked the authority if i pursued elk. I've tried a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 trying to maximize anchoring potential but found there was just too much drop in the event a fleeting opportunity showed up at a 200yd clear cut.

After recently buying a Bergara B14 Ridge in 30-06 I decided I had a general purpose hunting rifle in a competent chambering for everything I can encounter in the state, and started mean mugging this Rem700 chambered in 350 Remington Magnum I had picked up at a pawn shop mostly as a curiosity.

Being a victim of borderline hyperfocused interest in the evolution of firearms brought me to Col. Jeff Coopers scout rifle concept, and the intent of a short, light, big game capable bolt action rifle seemed a great fit for this 350. I already planned on chopping the barrel back to 16.5", and originally planned on seating it in the original BDL walnut stock it came to me in. But through a few random conversations I wound up getting a Grayboe Neo chassis in a trade, and that elevated the project well beyond what I intended. I shake my head and laugh every time I look at this thing. Eventually I will probably get an LPVO to stretch this thing out, but as it sits with irons and a Holosun 403 mounted on the front weaver base I've got it squarely set up as a loud bow that isnt afraid of quartering shots. Two days ago I dropped the barreled action off at a local gunsmith to get the barrel work done and have the barrel and action cerakoted, so I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to see how the timber cannon handles.

350 Remington Magnum as a cartridge has intrigued me since I first learned about it when I found the rifle in question. I can load it down to pistol velocities throwing 357 pistol bullets, and I've already seen the advantages of that over a 22 magnum on small game. Or I can load it up to 4000ftlbs in a full length barrel and hunt anything in the continental US. After years of friends telling me the holy grail of The One Rifle didn't exist I'm starting to think this thing might be it, provided shots are kept within 250yds. I can't wait to chrono the loads I'd previously worked up and see what energy potential I'm really working with in a short magnum build.

Feel free to provide feedback and criticisms. Thanks for reading this far.

20230303_171704.jpg

The wholly grail hunting rifle.

Suppressed 22lr.

Just kidding.

I don't hunt anymore!

Nice rifle and glad you got through the mental masturbation finding the 1!

I loved my Ruger Gunsite Scout with a fixed x4 on the front - very PNW friendly and it was stupid accurate out to 300 yards. Never got to shoot it past that but I'm sure it would do fine. It was in .308 though.

Wish I still had it but my 2 hunting buddies moved out of state and I haven't been hunting big game in a few seasons.

You might consider a 35 Whelen. 30-06 necked up to 35 cal. Can use 357 pistol bullets to practice, and up to 300gr+ for sporting purpose.
that said, I "settled" on a scout in 308 with a 2x pistol scope.

IMG_1812.jpeg

I am particularly fond of Ruger's Scout Rifle since I first came across them after discovering the idea of a "scout rifle" some years ago. After years of searching I was able to get my hands on one recently. Some things I plan to do to it include a forward mounted red-dot optic of some kind, possibly a Trijicon RMR, replace the factory compensator with an A2 style flash hider because .308 out of a 16" barrel produces a huge amount of flash, and find some kind of sling such as a Rhodesian style sling or a ching sling. It's an absolute hoot to shoot and once I get more time with it I'd love to take a class with it since I hear there's still a few instructors running scout rifle specific classes across the country.

I was a big fan of Jeff Cooper, he wrote a lot of good articles in the gun magazines. I bought one of his books that has a lot of his thinking called TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND TELL THE TRUTH. Great book from a great man of the greatest generation.

I too own a Ruger Scout rifle in 308. I wanted a Steyr but settled for the Ruger.

Your project is seriously awesome! Ten years of reading and field experience, that's dedication. From trying different calibers to finding the perfect setup for the Pacific Northwest, you've covered it all. The Bergara B14 Ridge and the revamped Remington 700 in 350 Remington Magnum sound killer. The short magnum build and versatility of the cartridge have got me curious. Can't wait to see how it performs after the barrel work. Good luck with your hunting adventures, man

Well, after a few months of tinkering this is about what I've settled on. Still working out the kinks on a reliable feeding AICS solution so for the moment I'm running the factory BDL bottom metal in a Magpul stock. Barrel cut down to 18" and threaded, put a 9mm Lantac Dragon muzzle brake on it. XS tritium irons. Shooting minute of beer can at 100yds. It's about absolute blast of an experience.

20230904_111315.jpg 20230904_111431.jpg

Nice.
How much does it weigh?
I don't understand your choice of optic, but that's you.
With the 360-278 Spire Point mold, I'd recommend you use linotype or at least Lyman #2 and quench it to achieve maximum hardness. Otherwise, I suspect, you'd have to deal with tip deformation on the feed ramp as you load. I ran into this on some .277 spire point soft tip bullets, and they sucked as far as accuracy. After riding up the feed ramp, most tips looked like the top of a Hershey's Kiss.
You also need to test to determine max velocity. You should be able to push those to almost 2000 fps, maybe more. My experience with lead bullets is at the optimal load, they will tighten to their best accuracy (best I've gotten is 1.5 MOA), and then when you push speed more, the pattern will open back up.

Hersheys Kiss.jpg

Wanted tritium irons because they weigh nothing, there's no batteries, no lenses to fog or get dirty. I hunt in very rainy conditions and dense woods, optics are more of a hindrance than anything, and if archery hunters can figure out how to get close enough to kill with a sharp stick, I can get within 100yds with this blunderbuss.

Wanted tritium irons because they weigh nothing, there's no batteries, no lenses to fog or get dirty. I hunt in very rainy conditions and dense woods, optics are more of a hindrance than anything, and if archery hunters can figure out how to get close enough to kill with a sharp stick, I can get within 100yds with this blunderbuss.
I have known only one archery hunter (besides me) who stalked. All others sat in blinds or stands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top