JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got my brother with a rapala as a kid once... thought I hit a weed behind me so I kept yanking and told him to shut up when he was screaming at me to stop...

I was fishing for surf perch off the rocks near Laguna Beach. Using a rod with too soft a tip for the weight of the sinker I was using. Trying to really wing one out there, I felt a tug on my ear. Big hook thru it about midway up. The barb went all the way thru and a big blob of mussel bait was still attached on the back side of the hook. My brother and I looked at it for a long time until he put his hand on the back of my head and pulled the barb back thru with a big "POP". :confused::eek::rolleyes::oops:

I was fishing for surf perch off the rocks near Laguna Beach. Using a rod with too soft a tip for the weight of the sinker I was using. Trying to really wing one out there, I felt a tug on my ear. Big hook thru it about midway up. The barb went all the way thru and a big blob of mussel bait was still attached on the back side of the hook. My brother and I looked at it for a long time until he put his hand on the back of my head and pulled the barb back thru with a big "POP". :confused::eek::rolleyes::oops:

WTF why didn't you cut the barb off? :confused:o_O

WTF why didn't you cut the barb off? :confused:o_O

No tools. Hard to cut off barb with a pair of needle nose that does not have a side cutter. This was in the '70s... long before Leatherman. Sure as heck wasn't going to travel 1/2hr back to the house with that thing hangin off my ear. Not to sanitary. I wanted it OFFFFFF right away!!!!

No tools. Hard to cut off barb with a pair of needle nose that does not have a side cutter. This was in the '70s... long before Leatherman. Sure as heck wasn't going to travel 1/2hr back to the house with that thing hangin off my ear. Not to sanitary. I wanted it OFFFFFF right away!!!!

I don't blame you, back then we had a higher set of morals and no self-respecting angler went to the ER unless the eye was impaled...:eek::eek::eek:o_O

Thankfully I never had that happen...OUCH!!!!

That spot near Laguna Beach was called Emerald Bay. And tho it was one of our best fav fishing spots, we had to sneak thru a private gated community to get there. That made it even more special eh. The spot was on the rocky point at the south side of the bay. At low tide the tops of the cabin sized rocks would become available to stand and fish by jumping a few crevices between them. You had to be careful tho because since they are covered most of the time, they have moss and mussels. Besides being closer to the area of the surf we had success with, there was a more grasslike moss there that the surf perch really liked on a hook. So one trip my brother's friend jumped way out on the rocks and stayed out there while the tide started to return... you can see where this is going... those of us with more sense were back up on the flat part by then... we look up and a big roller is coming in!!! We start yelling but the guy can't hear us over the noise of the surf on the rocks. He looks up at the last minute, does a double take, and starts to jump back over the crevice... the wave comes, and afterwards he is just... gone. WHOA! We run out to where he disappeared and see nothing. We run around looking and looking at the edges where the surf meets the rocks but... NOTHING. Then, after several minutes, we hear, softly, a cry for help. Looking around we finally see, about 100' to the left, the buddy hanging onto the rocks, mostly still in the surf. The waves are bashing him against the rocks and he will lose his grip soon or be injured. My brother and I both run down there, grab his arms and haul him up. Guess what... he still has his fishing pole!!! We said WTF... and he says it's his favorite pole rig and no way was he gonna lose it!!! :eek::eek::eek::D

Had that happen to me once, we were able to keep our footing at Lost Boy Cave. I yelled "HOLD FAST!" and my buddy being a pirate, dreads and all, got the message just in time.

Ya'll were almost lost!

But are the boys really lost?
Lost_Boy_cave_Quick_e_mail_view.jpg

Thankfully I never had that happen...OUCH!!!!

That spot near Laguna Beach was called Emerald Bay. And tho it was one of our best fav fishing spots, we had to sneak thru a private gated community to get there. That made it even more special eh. The spot was on the rocky point at the south side of the bay. At low tide the tops of the cabin sized rocks would become available to stand and fish by jumping a few crevices between them. You had to be careful tho because since they are covered most of the time, they have moss and mussels. Besides being closer to the area of the surf we had success with, there was a more grasslike moss there that the surf perch really liked on a hook. So one trip my brother's friend jumped way out on the rocks and stayed out there while the tide started to return... you can see where this is going... those of us with more sense were back up on the flat part by then... we look up and a big roller is coming in!!! We start yelling but the guy can't hear us over the noise of the surf on the rocks. He looks up at the last minute, does a double take, and starts to jump back over the crevice... the wave comes, and afterwards he is just... gone. WHOA! We run out to where he disappeared and see nothing. We run around looking and looking at the edges where the surf meets the rocks but... NOTHING. Then, after several minutes, we hear, softly, a cry for help. Looking around we finally see, about 100' to the left, the buddy hanging onto the rocks, mostly still in the surf. The waves are bashing him against the rocks and he will lose his grip soon or be injured. My brother and I both run down there, grab his arms and haul him up. Guess what... he still has his fishing pole!!! We said WTF... and he says it's his favorite pole rig and no way was he gonna lose it!!! :eek::eek::eek::D

I love my fishing gear, a lot & some have special meanings but if it's the difference between life or death screw it, it's getting tossed.;)

Yup. He was under water for about two minutes!! Rolled down the crevice, along the bottom, bashed repeatedly into the rocks about 10' below the surface before he managed to get up to the top.

Oh not me baby!!! I'm dropping the rod and shedding clothes and swimming back away from the rocks... get outside and swim around to the cove's nice sandy beach... HOLY HELL MAN, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING???????

You could have just pinched the barb closed like we have to do for barbless hooks.... Hook would have slid right out....:p:p:p

Well let's set the tone for Tuesday's fishing trip on the Chehalis river.
Let's just say that it was quite the adventure with the forecast of rain & a little wind...

My one armed fishing buddy JC (he's got two but one just dont work very well) & I arrived at the ramp as always (about 7 am), there was a slight drizzle present so we launched the fish killer (FK, for future reference). As the FK slid off the trailer the raindrops started getting a little bigger, larger & then someone gutted the heavens!!!!! Good Lawdy it was a torrent made of sheets of sideways rain!!!!
Ole JC opted to wait and don his raingear on the boat.... big mistake for a country boy born & raised in McCleary Warshington... WTH was he thinking? (clearly he weren't) He crawled onto the bow as I was backing away from the ramp & exclaimed loudly, "well do ya think it's gonna rain"? He was wetter than a mad hen....
Did I mention that with the rain came 40 MPH gusts? Well let me tell ya that it was a ripping incoming tide with a constant West wind and we were trolling about 10 MPH goin upriver!!!!
Well, while JC was trying to keep the FK from swirling in a circle & bumpin off the banks, I feverishly readied the trolling gear. I opted to use hardware for the day as the herring would not have lasted 30 seconds in this current. Kinda like trollin fer TUNA!!!

AS I finished setting the rods in the holders I came inside the cabin to show JC how he should have been anticipating the gusts & turning appropriately instead of piloting like a crew of drunk sailors, a gust turned the FK sideways!!!!! I laughed & said let that be a lesson....:p:p:p

Well let me tell ya that this adventure taught me two things, never let a one armed man pilot yer FK in a natural disaster and try & remember the dry trips when it don't matter that your raingear should have been replaced before the rainy season.... I was wetter than JC's mad hen....:p:p:p And we had neery a bite & the seals were also quite wet.............:eek::eek::eek:o_O

I figured I'd explain the wetter than a mad hen comment before all y'all start posting; WTH, say what & the like. Well it references a saying an eon ago down south, madder than a wet hen (a play on words). ..... It seemed fitting as we were really really wet....:D:D:D

Last Edited:
Went north from Springfield to Nestucca to fish with a friend and a guide the friend found on Craigslist. Had to use guides secondary ramp as main one was crowded. We all got around the drift boat putting coolers and gear in. Guide unhooked boat from trailer and put bow line onboard. I offered to hold the rope as he was going to backup the truck. He acted indignant and told me he does this for a living. Truck rolled back and came to a stop. Momentum took the boat off the trailer right out in the current. My buddy and I hadn't anticipated that or the next event. Wish I had a picture. Next thing we saw was the guide had stripped to his boxers heading for the water. Never would guess he was a boxer man. Story ended with another guide boat coming to the rescue. Friend caught the only salmon. Came from Arizona to see what Salmon fishing is all about. Told me he'd never imagine it included nearly naked guide.

Went north from Springfield to Nestucca to fish with a friend and a guide the friend found on Craigslist. Had to use guides secondary ramp as main one was crowded. We all got around the drift boat putting coolers and gear in. Guide unhooked boat from trailer and put bow line onboard. I offered to hold the rope as he was going to backup the truck. He acted indignant and told me he does this for a living. Truck rolled back and came to a stop. Momentum took the boat off the trailer right out in the current. My buddy and I hadn't anticipated that or the next event. Wish I had a picture. Next thing we saw was the guide had stripped to his boxers heading for the water. Never would guess he was a boxer man. Story ended with another guide boat coming to the rescue. Friend caught the only salmon. Came from Arizona to see what Salmon fishing is all about. Told me he'd never imagine it included nearly naked guide.

Let that be a lesson not to book a guide trip from a C/L ad in the future.... I've fished around many a wannabe guide & I'd rather fish from the bank.
JMHO mind ya, not bashing you.;)

Guide sounds like a pompus azz to me. After offering to hold the line for him I would have probably laughed me arse off right in his face. :D

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top