JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been fishing a handful of times. But never really landed anything. Today I was out fly fishing (which I'm learning by reading and asking questions, thank you everyone including @Flymph ) and I hooked my first fish! With the help of my wife I was able to land the little guy. Based on what I read later today he was a Kokanee and I could have kept him but I didn't know at the time so I erred on the side of caution and let him go. I'm totally hooked.( All puns intended) now I need a 7wt pole so I can go for bigger fishes too. 00000PORTRAIT950000095BURST20190727104633449.jpg

My fishing style involves dynamite or cyanide, possibly electric poles....

Neither is legal so I keep the lines dry.

Actually, I should go fishing more. Haven't went in years.

My preference is an ankle deep stream with pools and a 4' ultralight pole.

My fishing style involves dynamite or cyanide, possibly electric poles....

Neither is legal so I keep the lines dry.

Actually, I should go fishing more. Haven't went in years.

My preference is an ankle deep stream with pools and a 4' ultralight pole.
I can ALWAYS use a partner on the water. (dragged my wife along today)

Learn to nymph fish, 90% of fly fishing is this if you want to catch fish all day.

Attachments

• 20190710_200435.jpg
    20190710_200435.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 626
Learn to nymph fish, 90% of fly fishing is this if you want to catch fish all day. I was on the Deschutes all week last week.

View attachment 603948

Not to get snotty, but it's 80% of a trout's diet is subsurface... you can still catch a ton of fish on dries.
There are a lot of guys who chase their favorite hatches.
I enjoy swinging wets.
Some guys czech nymph.
Others tie on dry flies and sit by the river drinking scotch and smoking cigars.

I do all of the above when it suits me. :cool:

Oh, I have a good book with technical info you may find useful.

Don't let me forget, you can peruse it.

The couple times I've tried fly fishing, it just seemed like an awkward, more difficult way to catch fish. People are nutso about it though. I guess it's a bit sophisticated for my redneck a$$.

Congrats!!!

We have a number of good streams, if you ever get out this way. The closest is the Grande Ronde, and the upper is usually too dry to fish in the summer. But there are other, harder to reach, places like Eagle Creek... the fish are not generally plentiful and usually smallish, but I did once catch a 16" Bull Trout on a wet fly.

Yah, it's wet flies for me all the way. Never could get the hang of nymphing, and the match the hatch dry fly thing makes my head hurt. Best dry flies for me are midges, ants, and the occasional grasshopper.

One of these years I'll be elligible for the Pioneer license, then the ODFW will only steal $6 from me as the cost of the "free" license!

I got "trout fever" first time I managed to get a decent dry fly float and saw that little trout easing up for a look. (I'm thinking "its working its working"!) He hit it but spit it out real quick and I never set the hook.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top