JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Double-barrel for Defense?

• Yes! This is the best option! Fill my eyes with that double vision ...

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Good, not great, but I would be hip to that kindly tip. Double your pleasure or something.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Can be pressed into service, but not ideal.

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No and I don't care what this book or a sitting POTUS thinks.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Don't really consider shotguns the best for this application, so, I guess no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if it is a lamp shotgun and I'm enjoying the great outdoors.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
And a basket full of legos you can scatter while you retreat to reload!

Legos: Living Room Area Deniability Weapon System!
Or plastic army men....:D
When I was a young lad...mom once stepped on one of my Infantrymen..
After the cussing was done...she went and maneuvered into a full counter attack that would have been the envy of General Nathan Bedford Forrest himself...
Boy , did me and my troops get a wuppin' that day....:eek: :D

Did me well though....When in the Army...I always did leave a clean battlefield....:D
Andy

I don't think there's a man alive who could take a simultaneous hit from both barrels. Also, you could have a slug in one and buck in the other. For a well practiced person, I don't see why this can't be an impressively effective tool.

Does anybody remember the "He shot my arm off!" guy who tried to rob a store with an AR15 (i think it was can't remember)? The store owner fired one shot with a shotgun and the guy went running with the flubber arm.

Does anybody remember the "He shot my arm off!" guy who tried to rob a store with an AR15 (i think it was can't remember)? The store owner fired one shot with a shotgun and the guy went running with the flubber arm.
Here's an excerpt from a YouTube video of it:

T shirts the townspeople made up:
9B6B5109-53A9-474F-8C5B-D89EFD45CCC6.jpeg

Last Edited:
If I remember correctly in the mockumentary "Yellowstone" it was a double barrel that young Tate used to protect his mother (Monica) from her assailant. IMHO He handled that shotgun well under such stressful conditions, if that had been a pump or auto his level of training may not have proven adequate. Tate 1 bad guy none... :D

Use what your comfortable with.
:s0092: WTH no shotgun emoji?

I've told this story before but this seems like a time and place to repeat it. I had put up a bad guy target for my wife to shoot her 20ga coach gun at. I see her moving back and forth then shooting at the head. I mentioned to that a body shot was an easier,bigger target. She said nope if I bad guy comes in she is going to shoot his face off. Her moving back and forth was to find the distance the 4 buck pattern was exactly head size.

I've told this story before but this seems like a time and place to repeat it. I had put up a bad guy target for my wife to shoot her 20ga coach gun at. I see her moving back and forth then shooting at the head. I mentioned to that a body shot was an easier,bigger target. She said nope if I bad guy comes in she is going to shoot his face off. Her moving back and forth was to find the distance the 4 buck pattern was exactly head size.
Damn good woman, there!

A double-barrel would never be my first choice, nor my second or third.
That said, how many guys spend hours and hours practicing all kinds of scenarios like mag changes, clearing a failure, shooting with the weak hand, and just general target work?
And/or doing it with firearms that have had all kinds of "slicked-up" work done to them?
Some of the cowboy shooters take a Stoeger "coach gun"; the hammer springs get replaced with cut-down 1911 mainsprings, the safety gets made "non-automatic", the chambers get polished with the mouth edges smoothly beveled/rounded, and the cross-bolt spring gets lightened.
One flick with your wrist and the barrels drop, another flick and the empties fly out, your off-hand has already grabbed two new shells, they go in at the same time, a quick action and the barrels are closed.
Ready to rock.
From watching some CAS shooters, it appears that if one spent as much time practicing with a coach gun as they did with some other guns they could shoot and reload pretty d**n fast.
Says me who is slow. :rolleyes:

Well, no one said what gauge the double would be in. How about a 4-bore? Though, admittedly, I think we've crossed over to light field artillery territory at that point. :s0155:

1704591695972.png

I think I shared before, but I have seen what a .12 gau to the face is capable of, or not! We had just cleared a house and were moving through toward the next when a tango came through the door, BALAM, a .12 gau #4 buck to the face, turned his face into Pizza, but didn't kill him, might have put an eye or two out, and shredded him, BUT, it wasn't lethal, a couple more shots to center mass finished the job, and ended the suffering of that dude!

I think I shared before, but I have seen what a .12 gau to the face is capable of, or not! We had just cleared a house and were moving through toward the next when a tango came through the door, BALAM, a .12 gau #4 buck to the face, turned his face into Pizza, but didn't kill him, might have put an eye or two out, and shredded him, BUT, it wasn't lethal, a couple more shots to center mass finished the job, and ended the suffering of that dude!
This is why I have LONG told people I will not use shot in my home shot guns. It makes a nasty looking but very shallow wound. That #4 buck to the face left the guy alive shows the risk. Also why I have long told people who buy those wheel guns using .410 that those loaded with shot are NOT a good choice for trying to stop someone who may shoot at you.

How about a double barrel firing 2 HESH slugs at once? I'd like to see that on a realistic ballistic dummy. I've also thought about loading up a 20 round drum with mix of HESH slugs, regular slugs, and #00 buck. That woudl be a heck of a mag dump. :p

Here's one HESH round on ballistic dummy head:

8BF1B689-57F7-4D4C-BB2F-E8DA57CBA4E8.png
EF36F07D-B8DE-4947-84F0-6BE9EC2E7EB0.png

I've seen a few different studies that indicate defensive shotgun fights average 1.3 to 1.6 rounds fired, so many with one shot, some with two, and a few with more than that. I would take a double barrel that functions every time over a semi-auto that frequently malfunctions turning it into a single shot (see these at the "tactical' shoots frequently). Not my personal choice but would not think less of someone who chooses this option.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews