JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Double-barrel for Defense?

• Yes! This is the best option! Fill my eyes with that double vision ...

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Good, not great, but I would be hip to that kindly tip. Double your pleasure or something.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Can be pressed into service, but not ideal.

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • No and I don't care what this book or a sitting POTUS thinks.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Don't really consider shotguns the best for this application, so, I guess no.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if it is a lamp shotgun and I'm enjoying the great outdoors.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
If I had to choose and buy a shotgun for SD I would choose something with more rounds. If in an emergency a double barrel shotgun was all that was available I'd use it and be grateful for it.

However, a handgun has always been my first choice for SD. And these days I have an additional couple of reasons. One is that I use a cane to get around. I mostly need it for balance, because I have double vision and am only using my dominant eye. If something goes bump in the night (indoors) I respond with a cane in one hand and a handgun in the other. Not with a long gun of any sort that requires two hands to hold at ready or operate. Second reason is the cane gives me sublethal SD or pest control options. An indoor bump in the night is way more likely to be a mouse or rat than something I need to fire a gun at. (If its an outdoor bump in the night, it's free to bump around out there as much as it wants. My neighborhood is adjacent to MacDonald Forest and has everything from rodents to cougars and bears bumping around at night out there, and I feel no particular need to go out and supervise their bumping.)

Last Edited:
To answer my own question, it was "Can be pressed into service, but not ideal." For HD shotgun, we have a Mossberg 500 with a decent light setup. However, I have on many occasion packed a little (duly registered) Lupara whilst working in the forest. It is a traditional SxS, cut way back, and loaded with 00-buck. My reasoning is it carries easy and should be adequate at close ranges against most critters, including upright apes, that one might encounter in Oregon.

As to the publication date on the aforementioned text, it appears to be 2017, so recently.

And, I concur, automatic safeties are annoying. :s0165:

I'm yer huckleberry.

1704344412832.png

A street howitzer is just my game.

Holds a better pattern. I know pattern doesn't matter much in home invasive SD shootings. But at any sort of distance 00 buck sucks, I've spent many days pattering them both
Interesting. I've patterned 00 buck from some of my "tactical" guns and it was 75ft before the spread was to the point the target was only getting hit by a couple pellets, but like you said, there isn't a 75ft line of sight anywhere in my house.

But, yeah, shooting shotguns at outdoor distances makes me want a rifle really quickly.

So, last year when I was doing a decent amount of air travel, I picked up various paperbacks to stuff in carry on. One I acquired, but didn't read, was this likely unintentionally hilarious tome:

View attachment 1794520

Thumbing through it, the author seems to really think a SxS double is the ideal home / small business defensive tool. Complete with this picture that, evidently, made the final cut:

View attachment 1794521

What say you? Ideal, workable, or not a serious option circa 2024? Enjoy!
When I had a guy attempting to break in let me assure you the double barrel 12 gauge in my hand loaded with #00 buck felt comforting. I didn't let him see it as it was below the window ledge (i was above him). Firing both barrels at once would be about a 8-10" spread per barrel for 18 pellets. Equivalent to being shot with 18 .380 rounds all in the same instant.

Not that its my first choice for HD (it's not). It happened to be the gun in the room that had him cornered and nearly impossible for him to shoot back (if he was armed I mean I have no idea if he was). It's a gun I feel my wife could grab and shoot really well if needed, as compared to a pistol fe. Dead simple to operate. Pretty short. light weight. Extremely effective (as long as you shoot at the target, not fire two blasts into the air like an idiot). Very portable in coach gun size too (standard backpack shown):

All shotguns have limited range and limited capacity (and slow to load) that's why I much prefer a reliable mag-fed ak 12 gauge for HD if using a shotgun. Recoil is reduced by 70% due to muzzle brake, mags hold 10 (stick) - 20 (drum) rounds, folding stock and 19' barrel makes it easy to stow. Still have issue of limited range but it fixes some of the other drawbacks of shotguns. Lynx 12 fires accurately at rate of 300 rpm (same as an AR). So a mag dump would be 9-15 #00 buck (depending on shell size) x 20 = 180 to 300 pellets of #00 buck in 4 seconds. Not suggesting mag dump, just showing max capability. That's a crapload of firepower. Clint says it best about shotguns in general:

skip to 13:48 mark to see effect of 2 12 gauge rounds on realistic (most realistic we have anyway) ballistic dummy.

5 shot devastation (what would 20 shots do? ha ha)

Last Edited:
I like 4 Buck for my wifes 20 ga for her protection and defense. 4 Buck is .24 dia and a 2 3/4 20ga shell holds 21 of them. 00 Buck is .33 dia but in a 2 3/4 12 ga it only hold 8 pellets. Granted the 00 is bigger and heaver but 21 holes is still 2 1/2 times more holes than 8.
All the 00 buck I have hold 9 pellets, 3 stacks of 3.

This definitely calls for some "science" because the logic of "more holes is better" has diminishing returns. #8 makes more holes, but that's obviously not the best at stopping things that are tougher than small birds.

We keep a "Coach Gun" by the front window/deck, loaded with "T" shot and a small bandolier sling with 10 rounds of #4 Buck! We don't really worry about 2 legged predators here, mostly 4 legged predators in the 50 pounds and up category, or those damn Canadian Illegal Immigrants that show up and try bullying the dogs! If we did have an unwanted visitor of the 2 legged variety show up, a loaded Winny 97 trench loaded with 00 Buck would do the trick nicely, she sits next to the front door ready to go! If the alarm goes off, we all have our carry pistols ready to rock already, and there are also a couple rifles stashed about, so the shotgat might never leave it's corner!

I much prefer more bullets then two. A 15rd mag with 125gr FPHP slugs in the M1 carbine or 8rds of #4 Buckshot in the short 870 suits my needs fine. Backed up by a .44spl 5rd revolver

12 gauge in a short barrel is absolutely great for close work and dropping someone quick there's no question there.
But there is no advantage in a double barrel break action to a pump or semi auto shotgun holding 5-8 rounds. Why not go with a pump action over a break action?
If 12 gauge is the choice then a break action is at the bottom of the list. Cool looking but not ideal. It can be pressed into service

Something to consider here ....

If a threat is stopped with a double barreled shotgun...
Then that gun and whatever actions taken with it....worked .
The defender may or may not have been "better served" with a different firearm...
Since what was used did what was needed to be done.

Point being here....
Use what works for you and your situation.
Learn to use it well.
And....don't worry 'bout what someone else uses or likes.
Every situation is different...and what is needed in one area or part of the world may not be needed or even wanted in another.
Andy

Something to consider here ....

If a threat is stopped with a double barreled shotgun...
Then that gun and whatever actions taken with it....worked .
The defender may or may not have been "better served" with a different firearm...
Since what was used did what was needed to be done.

Point being here....
Use what works for you and your situation.
Learn to use it well.
And....don't worry 'bout what someone else uses or likes.
Every situation is different...and what is needed in one area or part of the world may not be needed or even wanted in another.
Andy
As always, a Well reasoned post Andy!
Here's why we have a "Coach Gun" handy, my Wife can pick it up and use it with out any thought what so ever, it's literally a point and shoot deal for TWO shots, she doesn't have to learn or try and remember any manual of arms, all she needs to do is point it in the right direction and pull the trigger! Is it the Ideal, with a Winny Trench sitting across the room, NO, BUT, it's the best shotgun option for her!

As always, a Well reasoned post Andy!
Here's why we have a "Coach Gun" handy, my Wife can pick it up and use it with out any thought what so ever, it's literally a point and shoot deal for TWO shots, she doesn't have to learn or try and remember any manual of arms, all she needs to do is point it in the right direction and pull the trigger! Is it the Ideal, with a Winny Trench sitting across the room, NO, BUT, it's the best shotgun option for her!
And a basket full of legos you can scatter while you retreat to reload!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews