JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't turned up a source for the Hornady 300-grain load, but I did find that Prvi Partizan has a 300-grain load for the Forty-Forty.

Buffalo Bore's +P "deer grenade" appears to be quite corking. Curious how they'd be out of the wheelguns or carbines (one a lever, the other a bolt). Hmmmm.
I found these in my Sierra and Speer manuals.
Sierra is first and Speer second.

300 grain .44 mag loads 001.JPG 300 grain .44 mag loads 002.JPG 300 grain .44 mag loads 003.JPG 300 grain .44 mag loads 004.JPG

I loaded up 50 rds of Makers 275 gr bullets to shoot out of my rifle.They should do quite the job on anything that they hit.

I don't know about "man-stopper" but I do know that one of my 300gr TC 44 mag loads killed a 300 lb Bear just a couple weeks ago. Out of a 7 1/2" barrel they run about 1200 fps. I also make a sub-sonic load with the same bullet that is popular with the suppressed Ruger 77 owners.

I wonder how those would work in a lever action carbine...
Nice find @CountryGent
Andy
The .357mag lever action carbines. also work with .38sp. And the .44mag lever action carbines also work with .44 sp. So I'd guess that the same would apply to the .500 and .500 short.

My understanding is that Keith style wadcutter or semi wadcutter bullets may or may not feed properly in Martin lever action .357s or .44s depending on the exact design of the bullet and the individual gun. I've never seen anyone report on performance of full wadcutters in such guns but I wouldn't expect them to feed. And of course pointed bullets in tubular magazines are a bad idea since you would be jamming the point of one bullet against the primer of the one ahead as you load.

One thing about the .357 Marlins is they have a short elevator and regular SWC bullets need to be seated a tad short to work. There is a wide nose SWC that will work just fine. The nose to crimp grove is the critical demention.

I don't know about "man-stopper" but I do know that one of my 300gr TC 44 mag loads killed a 300 lb Bear just a couple weeks ago. Out of a 7 1/2" barrel they run about 1200 fps. I also make a sub-sonic load with the same bullet that is popular with the suppressed Ruger 77 owners.
This ^^^^^^

A bullet doesn't need to be pushed at Mach 27 to get excellent performance...it just beats up the gun and shooter.

Whilst farting about the Steinel site, I happened upon this:

View attachment 1845573
700-grain, .500 Magnum load. Strikes me as extra spicy! :s0112:
I have loaded and shot many of these. The recoil isn't as bad as say a 440gr loaded hot. With the slower powder needed the recoil impulse doesn't slap as badly. I also bought some of those loaded by Underwood, same story. More of a push as they say vs a stinging sensation. Still a lot of horsepower shooting a tenth of a pound of lead per shot though. They fill the cylinder completely, cannot really fit any more material without going over length to load sun a revolver cylinder.

I've got some 370gr hard cast from Montana bullet co that would be cool to see how hot you could run them in a pistol. I load them at sub vel for my 10" barreled encore with a suppressor.

I have loaded and shot many of these. The recoil isn't as bad as say a 440gr loaded hot. With the slower powder needed the recoil impulse doesn't slap as badly. I also bought some of those loaded by Underwood, same story. More of a push as they say vs a stinging sensation. Still a lot of horsepower shooting a tenth of a pound of lead per shot though. They fill the cylinder completely, cannot really fit any more material without going over length to load sun a revolver cylinder.
I'm not going to bother denying it, I'd like to give this a spin. A .50-caliber, 700-grain slug sounds like gonzo fun. :s0155:

@orygun was very kind and sent me some brass. :)

1710793078314.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads