JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After a great weekend this past weekend where I got a rare chance to shoot at 650 and 1000 yards and hit steel at those distances for the first time, so I'm itching for more distance shooting practice.

I live in King County and am looking for recommendations on the best place I can go to get some practice in at 500 yards or greater with my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.

Interested in this as well. I'm north of the two of you but not all that far away. Would be great to find some a place and some like-minded people who like shooting past 400 yards. Limited to 300 up here. I was able to shoot up to 1000 in Montana and it was a lot of fun.

There is a place on Umptanum Rd on the south side of the valley that you can get 1000. I can't link a map, but just past Overlook Rd, on the right. Take exit 109, turn Right on Canyon Rd. First stop light is Umptanum. Take a Left, across river, past grey country schoolhouse at Manastash Rd, continue up the hill past Durr Rd. At that point the pavement ends. Keep going until Overlook and look to the right. I hope that at least gives an idea of where to look on Google. It's all sagebrush.
BUT, this time of year you should check our wind conditions before you just drive over here. I haven't been able to go to my range for 10 days straight.

There is a place on Umptanum Rd on the south side of the valley that you can get 1000. I can't link a map, but just past Overlook Rd, on the right. Take exit 109, turn Right on Canyon Rd. First stop light is Umptanum. Take a Left, across river, past grey country schoolhouse at Manastash Rd, continue up the hill past Durr Rd. At that point the pavement ends. Keep going until Overlook and look to the right. I hope that at least gives an idea of where to look on Google. It's all sagebrush.
BUT, this time of year you should check our wind conditions before you just drive over here. I haven't been able to go to my range for 10 days straight.
That is one are I go I grew up off of Hanson rd

No, it is L.T. Murray Wildlife recreation area. EVERYBODY over here shoots on " some random piece of land". That's one of the great things of living here we don't NEED ranges. :D

No, it is L.T. Murray Wildlife recreation area. EVERYBODY over here shoots on " some random piece of land". That's one of the great things of living here we don't NEED ranges. :D
Yeah, and it seems that's why this new rule went into effect this year

But fortunately, it seems that if there's a good backstop and you are sure of what's between you and the target (and follow a million other rules) then distance shooting there is still allowed.

This is really good to know - thanks! It's about 2.5 hours away which is a bit of a drive, but doable and worth it.

Here's a new state flyer on the topic as well - https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/target_shooting_0.pdf

So if you turn on Satellite View on Google Maps it seems like this might be the place you are talking about:

Does that look correct? If so that's great because that's only 1 hour 54 minutes from my house (vs another 35 minutes to LT Murray Wildlife Area pinpoint on google maps). It's also not far from Canyon River Ranch / Red's where I like to stay (and was just this past Mon & Tues)

If not, move around on the map then right click the point you are talking about. When you do this on the desktop browser it will show you coordinates. Click the coordinates in the menu and it will say "copied to clipboard". You can then share those coordinates here.

Yeah, and it seems that's why this new rule went into effect this year

But fortunately, it seems that if there's a good backstop and you are sure of what's between you and the target (and follow a million other rules) then distance shooting there is still allowed.

This is really good to know - thanks! It's about 2.5 hours away which is a bit of a drive, but doable and worth it.

Here's a new state flyer on the topic as well - https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-12/target_shooting_0.pdf

I guess all of the "new rules" were common sense. I always know where my bullet is going to land. All the others are wildfire prevention.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top