JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One idea I had earlier that I felt was unnecessary is to run a spacer sleeve up into the 350 Legend chamber. The sleeve would fill the gap between the mouth of the 9mm case and the step where the 350 Legend case normally headspaces off of. The sleeve could be as simple as the top portion of a 350 Legend case. That might serve as a stop for the 9mm case to rest against and allow the push feed bolt of the AR to latch on to the 9mm case? If you wanted to remove the sleeve it would be similiar to removing a stuck case wall that sheared off.

Another method that might work is too remove the ejector from the AR bolt and hand place the cartridge into the bolt under the extractor. This would make for a very tedious loading process and would require flicking out the brass from the bolt after firing the cartridge.

@Will_White idea of using 9mm barrel with standard barrel extension is sounding easier by the minute.
When that sleeve gets damaged it becomes a barrel obstruction.

Ya only gotta knock off about 5 thou.
Chuck ep in a drill and have at it.
Don't fart around with bolts, just fit the cases and let her rip.

Joe
(I know you are dilligent about safety....yer just over thinking it)

Joe
I think I have approached this idea in the wrong direction. The ultimate goal is to be able to use the 350 Legend barrel in single shot mode with 9mm cartridge at the TCGC BP range. Shooting 9mm allows you to shoot fmj, plated or cast bullets there.

Instead of trying to make the 9mm function in 350 Legend bolt, I am going to convert 350 Legend brass into 9mm. I will use my pipe cutter to trim 350 Legend case to 9mm case length. That's it. No worries about reducing rims, enlarging bolts, buying 5.45x39 bolts, etc. Problem solved. I do plan on removing ejector to try and address the push feed problem but the case head will match the bolt perfectly, as it should.

The other dimensions are pretty much the same for the two cases so I will use starting 9mm load data.

I will whack down a case or two this weekend and load a dummy 115gr round to test the chambering and see if extractor will maintain a hold on it.

Edit: If this works and I can figure out a way to load these case with .357ish projectiles, the next step will be trying these cases in a 9mm firearm. I could be discovering +p+p+ 9mm cartridge options here.

Last Edited:
I think I have approached this idea in the wrong direction. The ultimate goal is to be able to use the 350 Legend barrel in single shot mode with 9mm cartridge at the TCGC BP range. Shooting 9mm allows you to shoot fmj, plated or cast bullets there.

Instead of trying to make the 9mm function in 350 Legend bolt, I am going to convert 350 Legend brass into 9mm. I will use my pipe cutter to trim 350 Legend case to 9mm case length. That's it. No worries about reducing rims, enlarging bolts, buying 5.45x39 bolts, etc. Problem solved. I do plan on removing ejector to try and address the push feed problem but the case head will match the bolt perfectly, as it should.

The other dimensions are pretty much the same for the two cases so I will use starting 9mm load data.

I will whack down a case or two this weekend and load a dummy 115gr round to test the chambering and see if extractor will maintain a hold on it.

Edit: If this works and I can figure out a way to load these case with .357ish projectiles, the next step will be trying these cases in a 9mm firearm. I could be discovering +p+p+ 9mm cartridge options here.
Why wouldn't you just load light 350 Legend loads?

You know +p+p isn't about the strength of the brass but of the gun, right? And thick brass means less case volume.

Last Edited:
Why wouldn't you just load light 350 Legend loads?

You know +p+p isn't about the strength of the brass but of the gun, right? And thick brass means less case volume.
I think the 9mm ARs are capable of more pressure than a 9mm case can handle. I understand there will be less volume in case but that may possibly be overcome with less dense powders.

Not real sure I see the point of all this. Maybe it'll work fine, but another person may try something like this with other calibers and end up with squibs or over pressured rounds going off. Not saying you are wrong, just don't see the point. Have had one that blew up and blew my slide and receiver apart in my hands. Wasn't hurt but it was unforgettable.
Good luck and be safe.

Haven't yet but might be another project to do one day.
Hmmm. I was just curious if you had ever noticed any markings your firearms where scratching into the bullets you send(?)

"Please HELP!
Being held by crazy man
Hacked body parts everywhere
Afraid I'm next!!"

😱

In all honesty, "turning" loaded 9mm case heads down to fit 350L bolt is easiest.
I doubt cut down 350L cases will have proper i.d. for 9mm boolits.
Save 350L brass for reloading.....350L.
PLENTY of 9mm brass to do anything with!
Use TrailBoss for lightest 350L reloads.
Have fun!

Joe

Hmmm. I was just curious if you had ever noticed any markings your firearms where scratching into the bullets you send(?)

"Please HELP!
Being held by crazy man
Hacked body parts everywhere
Afraid I'm next!!"

😱
Have you been snooping in my safe space:)

20220804_072853.jpg

Joe
The stuff I do for you guys, I mean for my own entertainment. I could have shaved down a couple of dozen 9mm rims in the time it took me to remove the ejector from this bolt. What a pain in the you know what. the push feed problem is no more with ejector gone. The rim of the case was chucked in a cordless drill and laid on a file until it was around .375. There appears to be plenty of rim left for the extractor to claw on to but if a case was stubborn to come out of the chamber I don't know if it would hold.

20220804_090831.jpg

20220804_090730.jpg

The stuff I do for you guys, I mean for my own entertainment. I could have shaved down a couple of dozen 9mm rims in the time it took me to remove the ejector from this bolt. What a pain in the you know what. the push feed problem is no more with ejector gone. The rim of the case was chucked in a cordless drill and laid on a file until it was around .375. There appears to be plenty of rim left for the extractor to claw on to but if a case was stubborn to come out of the chamber I don't know if it would hold.

View attachment 1251962

View attachment 1251963
9mm is never stubborn....

Joe

9mm is never stubborn....

Joe
I have a much higher confidence level that this will work. I think this combo would be an excellent choice for the break open AR15 project. With the upper broke open, I will have unfettered access to the bolt to remove the spent case and attach a fresh round. I will work on it some more this weekend and shave down a few more cases. If my break open AR15 isn't already the only one like it in the country, I bet it will be the only break open AR15 shooting 9mm in a 350 Legend barrel single shot style :D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top