JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When my 86 Chevy Celebrity 2.8 v6's exhaust fell apart, my brother commented that it sounded meaner than 4 cylinder cars :s0140: that one, I distinctly remember it having one of those crappy 2 barrel Varajet carburetors as opposed to the Throttle Body Injection and the Multi Port EFI system of later 2.8s. Mightve used the same manifold as the v6 S10 squarebody Blazers and the Isuzu Troopers of the same era

I used to pin the throttle on my ZX10R when I saw one of those to see if it could keep up. I had one of those mobile units read 07 once. I wasn't going 7mph.

I still don't understand how I lived though my 20's.

It was probably way past 107. If I had pinned the throttle on my CB900F when I spotted one of those units, I'd be doing MACH 1 by the time I passed it. And your ZX10R would have smoke that old bike like it was nothing.

Oregon has the same issur, for example; Highway 20 westbound from West Salem to Highway 51 to Independence, everyone going to Independence just camp in the left lane for the whole 10 miles going 55 or keeping pace with the right lane, holding up everyone behind :mad:

Edit,.also I-5, either way, someone just have to go 65 both left lanes and barely passing trucks going 60-64mph, between Wilsonville and Salem. Wilsonville to Portland,(or vice versa) always slows to a crawl regardless of time of day or which day.
I prefer to call it 22. :D

So Just my Personal Opinion.

But I have spent some considerable time driving in the three Pacific Coast States: Oregon, Washington and Kalifornistan.

In my Humble Opinion, the Best Drivers in general, are in Oregon.

Number 2 is Kalifornistan. And

Number Three is Washington.

Can you say "Stopping on the Freeway OnRamp to wait for an opening in Traffic" ?? o_O
For the record, it was not a complete stop :D

As someone who grew up in California, nobody there considers the left lane a "passing lane". Its just the "fast lane", you can stay there as long as you want until its time to let someone else pass you.

I'm not saying that sarcastically either, I legitimately never heard anyone talk about it or use it as a designated passing lane inside the state of CA, only when I traveled to other states.

I drive a big slow truck so I stay in the right lane either way, but there is a distinct difference in the intent/use of the left lane in neighboring states, which is why so many of you seem to be frustrated by it.

In my experience, Oregon drivers take this whole "passing lane only" the most seriously, in Washington it's hit or miss, and in California it just doesn't exist. Oregon also seems to have the most restrictive driving laws (passing lane, low and inconsistent speed limits, etc) and strictest enforcement.

As someone who grew up in California, nobody there considers the left lane a "passing lane". Its just the "fast lane", you can stay there as long as you want until its time to let someone else pass you.

I'm not saying that sarcastically either, I legitimately never heard anyone talk about it or use it as a designated passing lane inside the state of CA, only when I traveled to other states.

I drive a big slow truck so I stay in the right lane either way, but there is a distinct difference in the intent/use of the left lane in neighboring states, which is why so many of you seem to be frustrated by it.

In my experience, Oregon drivers take this whole "passing lane only" the most seriously, in Washington it's hit or miss, and in California it just doesn't exist. Oregon also seems to have the most restrictive driving laws (passing lane, low and inconsistent speed limits, etc) and strictest enforcement.
My experience in southern CA was that people wouldn't hang out in the left lane because if you were holding up traffic, other drivers would let you know about it with a horn or a finger or even aggressive driving tactics. I've even seen CHP get behind someone who's slowing traffic, light them up, follow them all the way to the slow lane and then just leave without pulling them over. Pretty funny the first time you see that.

My experience in southern CA was that people wouldn't hang out in the left lane because if you were holding up traffic, other drivers would let you know about it with a horn or a finger or even aggressive driving tactics. I've even seen CHP get behind someone who's slowing traffic, light them up, follow them all the way to the slow lane and then just leave without pulling them over. Pretty funny the first time you see that.
That's funny, I have seen that too. People get tickets for going too slow. I've been doing 80 mph down 101 in the slow lane, thinking to myself "This feels too fast" and have people flying by me in the left lane. It depends on the area though, usually people go faster in open areas but I've been driving through the Bay Area before, the highways are 4+ lanes wide and PACKED with cars, everyone driving well over the speed limit just a few feet from each other twisting through the city while getting tossed around by the terrible roads.

I'm from a small town, I just can't keep up. :s0077:

That's funny, I have seen that too. People get tickets for going too slow. I've been doing 80 mph down 101 in the slow lane, thinking to myself "This feels too fast" and have people flying by me in the left lane. It depends on the area though, usually people go faster in open areas but I've been driving through the Bay Area before, the highways are 4+ lanes wide and PACKED with cars, everyone driving well over the speed limit just a few feet from each other twisting through the city while getting tossed around by the terrible roads.

Driving in New York and Boston on surface streets was a lot like that a few decades ago. The speed limit must have been whatever you could make it to between lights. If you left a car-sized gap, someone would take it, without warning or turn signal. A good two or three cars might sneak through a red light on the heels of the last one to make the yellow. Swearing, gesturing and honking seemed to be some sort of universal greeting. Messages that might include you, your mother and the horse you rode in on were not uncommon. And never, ever show fear: They can smell it. I had the time of my life. :D

Driving in New York and Boston on surface streets was a lot like that a few decades ago. The speed limit must have been whatever you could make it to between lights. If you left a car-sized gap, someone would take it, without warning or turn signal. A good two or three cars might sneak through a red light on the heels of the last one to make the yellow. Swearing, gesturing and honking seemed to be some sort of universal greeting. Messages that might include you, your mother and the horse you rode in on were not uncommon. And never, ever show fear: They can smell it. I had the time of my life. :D
Bit ago I had an occasion to use Uber. Driver was a young guy from Columbia, very nice kid. He was telling me about driving in Bogota and that was an exact description. One hand on the horn, foot to the gas or stomping on the brake. :s0140:

The driving sounds like Phoenix but without most of the gestures and messages

In AZ honking is only allowed in an actual emergency & you can be ticketed

LONG ago we had neighbor who was a lot younger. All was fine for a long time. Then one week in summer he takes off to paint his home. Has some "music", sounded like bunch of people screaming and pounding on stuff in the studio to me. Could not even begin to make out words. Figured OK, just while he is painting. Well then he decided to spend his off time in yard blasting that crap. One of my kids who was a teen could not tell me WTF it was. So one weekend day Wife and I head to store, buy the largest ghetto blaster they sold. Come home and I was going to put Frank Sinatra on. Wife said she had a better choice. CD of Village People, YMCA. Put disc in, turned it up full blast, went in house, closed windows and doors. By the time disc ended I went out and it was silence on the other side of the fence. Message received. :s0140:
Frank Zappa vs. Rush Limbaugh. A little Joe's Garage and Bobby Brown followed by Weasels Ripped my Flesh did the trick. I just couldn't take any more Rush Limbaugh blasting from their deck overlooking my front yard.

I loved driving 217 and 26 during the COVID debacle. There were almost no cars and I could drive 75 without slowing down for traffic at 4:00.

I did notice several packs of cars (6 - 10) that were bumper to bumper doing 60. I guess that they were so used to driving in traffic, that they made their own.

My absolute most hated drivers are the 'Brake Tappers." Speed up, hit brake, speed up, hit brake - rinse and repeat. Evidently they had no distance/speed perception. My brakes last around 75k miles. Their brakes last 30k miles.

Welcome to NWFA.
My experience in southern CA was that people wouldn't hang out in the left lane because if you were holding up traffic....
The life of the party in California driving experience is the rubber-neck-guy. :s0039:

I loved driving 217 and 26 during the COVID debacle. There were almost no cars and I could drive 75 without slowing down for traffic at 4:00.

I did notice several packs of cars (6 - 10) that were bumper to bumper doing 60. I guess that they were so used to driving in traffic, that they made their own.

My absolute most hated drivers are the 'Brake Tappers." Speed up, hit brake, speed up, hit brake - rinse and repeat. Evidently they had no distance/speed perception. My brakes last around 75k miles. Their brakes last 30k miles.
I see that a LOT when I am doing the long commute. Several drivers who seem to be masturbating the brake pedal. I often wonder if they are angry all the time at how often they need brake work done. :confused:

In California the ratio speeders to LEO by CHP ? Lets say easier to win the lottery then get a ticket on the freeway.
Moved to Oregon about 27 years ago. First 35 years in California 2 tickets from 15 1/12- to 35.
Oregon more then I can count. And for stupid stuff, anything that gives revenue.
But the left lane is as it was stated in California ppl just move over, cause they are already speeding and now they can
pace you minus 5=7mph and they get the ticket not you?
We all did that we wanted lead foot to pass us so we could go faster. Here in Oregon its like someone wants to be an annoying AH,
just for no reason at all other then they now are wanna be cops and you were going to fast.
When it comes to freeway driving California beats most Oregon driving habits.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top