JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's the general consensus about storing pistols in their factory case ? Safe has goldenrod and Eva-Dry desiccant. Has anyone experienced rust even though the interior is protected ?

Do or do not ?

Thanks

My Liberty has I think 9 nylon-type pockets for pistols. They're all in those except for my EDC. I've got a hotrod in the safe too. No issues.

Older cardboard boxes tend to absorb moisture, can be bad for long term storage of handguns. The newer molded plastic kind okay for storage from the standpoint of moisture but they take up too much space if you have very many guns.

Handguns are cleaned, left with light coat of rem oil, stored in individual molded foam lined plastic boxes, dual locked with small master keyed locks, and placed on their bottoms on the shelves. BTW min of two mags are loaded with defense ammo or in the case of the 22's, hi performance ammo, and stored in the cases with their respective firearm.

I can store more handguns in this fashion, dbl stacking if necessary.

This serves to solve several issues:
1. I am assured the firearm is serviceable, properly lubricated, components are w/the right firearm and ready to use.
2. Eliminates any damage to them when I rummage and wrangle out a LG and accidently tug to hard.
3. They are immediately available to safely grab & go & use.
4. Ease of inventory, just count the boxes.
5. No rummaging to seek appropriate mag(s) to the right firearm.
6. When I leave on extended holidays, depending on the nature of the holiday, they can be easily grabbed to accompany me or moved to alternate hidey-hole(s) so if the property is burglarized, I know my firearms are still secure.

FYI, know this thread is about pistolas, but your kind attention is diected here to finish out my care of my safe's contents > RUSH TIER Rifle Sleeve

PS, singular keys are randomly in areas not readily visible, nor maintained on my keyrings.

Open cell foam soaks up humidity like a sponge. Closed cell is better, but either way, I prefer air flow and ventilation. Lots of stories out there of rust issues from in a case storage.

Never had any corrosion/rust issues in my safe. I use a rechargeable dehumidifier and that's it. Rifles and pistols in the safe. I've never kept them in their cases for space reasons - the pistols are kept on a shelf on a rack like this:

513UWf54gzL._SL1000_.jpg

I put my pistols in soft cases and fill the spaces around my rifle stocks. I like ones I can keep the mags with them. A light coat of oil has kept the rust off mine. The factory boxes take up too much room for me.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll look into some kind of hanger or rack for them and keep them out in the open.

I generally wipe them down with an oily rag before I put them away. Was just worried about the change in location being in the boxes. I stored them inside in a big dresser, and just recently moved them into the safe.

My door has the pockets, though they don't seem to fit everything. The racks look handy.

Thanks

For long term storage, use a more percent oil with a moisture repellent. I really like the Birchwood casy protestant oil, it is sprayed all over and allowed to coat every thing! I have open pistol racks in my safes, which ensures adequate air movement!

Oh, and don't forget to bolt your safe down some way. A good team of burglars can carry/wheel the whole thing away loose. Most burglars spend a minimum of time on property, a bolted-down safe usually takes too long to mess around with.

As someone else said, if I'm leaving for a few days, I take my fave guns out of the safe and hide them away in a more secure place. After all, a safe is presumed to contain valuables. If they work at it, they can have all that, no sweat, it's insured. But I'd like to keep a few just the same.

For long term storage, use a more percent oil with a moisture repellent. I really like the Birchwood casy protestant oil, it is sprayed all over and allowed to coat every thing! I have open pistol racks in my safes, which ensures adequate air movement!

It was a joke, check the spelling :D

I guess you need something else for the Catholic guns...:p Maybe keep a little confessional next to the pistol rack ;)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top