JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a safe and have no idea if what I want is out there.
Things that would be in it:
-Aero M5E1 18"
-Mossberg 500 18.5
-Ar pistol 10.5" (rarely)
-SBR 10.5"
-Sig P229 (rarely)
-sp101
The various mags and all ot go with.
Some stripped lowers.

What I want (and think I want)
-Fire rated
-Inside dimensions no smaller than 20x20x42 and up to about 45" tall
-Something that doesn't scream "guns!"
-Able to add inside power

I was looking at this, a Fortress 620E (on sale locally for $299). But its just a touch too short inside height wise. I could modify the shelves on one side to make room for the two longer firearms, but would rather not unless I have to.

Whats suggestions do you good people have?

Gut out an old refrigerator, add a gate latch and throw a padlock on it.
You are set up wth power, and guests will just think you are really protective of your beer.
I Joke, sorta.

Buy used and get bigger then you think you will ever need
While this to me makes the most sense, the wife doesn't want a big safe. She would rather me not have the contents of the safe either but understands its my thing. She does not want me buying more.

While this to me makes the most sense, the wife doesn't want a big safe. She would rather me not have the contents of the safe either but understands its my thing. She does not want me buying more.

Most rifle safes are going to be taller at around 55-60" if your ok with that, otherwise you may be looking at modifying shelves to fit your needs.

It looks like you have 4 rifles and 2 pistols.

Most rifle length safes will have a shelf at the top that will hold your 2 pistols readily enough.

Understand where your coming from with the wife so make your concessions where you have too.

Remember that a "6 rifle" safe will generally only hold 4, a "10" rifle might do 6-7 etc. depends on how tightly you want to pack them in there. A 6 will hold 6 .22lr rifles without scopes barely. So account for that.

One way to maybe get a little larger/better safe would be to talk to the lady of the house about the benefits of having a little extra room to store important documents and her jewelry etc - as it's cheaper/easier to have a little larger safe then to have 2 of them;).

Also, backup hard drives for pictures etc so it can start to get crowded fast depending on your valuables (monetary or sentimental).

Best of luck!!!

We have a 1 cf document safe. That will likely sit on top of whatever I get. She doesnt want to see my firearms if she can avoid it. So a different safe was a given for us.

There in lies the problem, you need to keep your firearms safe and she needs to understand that and let you make the decision on how big.

Sorry

Last Edited:
I don't remember which brand makes them but somebody does it's design to go under a window as a seat and they work really well. I just wish my memory worked better for things like this. It was a piece of furniture and would hold 10-12 Long Guns plus.

There in lies the problem, you need to keep your firearms safe and she needs to understand that and let you make the decision on how big.

Sorry
She's not against having them secured in a safe by any means. It's what she would prefer, but she doesn't want to get into it to get to her stuff. I would also prefer smaller, for what its worth.

She's not against having them secured in a safe by any means. It's what she would prefer, but she doesn't want to get into it to get to her stuff. I would also prefer smaller, for what its worth.
Your wife is good with you having a safe, perfect! It's what she'd prefer, perfect. She doesn't want to get into it, most perfect! By a bigger safe than what you need. perfect! You would actually be surprised how much room a passport takes up!

I know nothing when it comes to safes. I always think I buy a big enough one and when I get it home, find out it just isn't quite big enough....My most recent safe has the swing out rifle holder. That thing is pretty slick and it helps to save room. Buy one that also already has pockets for your pistols and plenty of shelves. You may want to store some of your valuables in that safe too.... Buy bigger than you think you will actually need!!!!!

Dang, the wife doesn't want the guns in the house, or the safe to hold them. But if he gets one, prefers that it be extra small. The reason for this is to limit the amount of firearms the op can buy. Don't look good.. That's all I can say....:(

Joe, he needs to listen to us on this. Somehow convince his wife that if he buys one too small, it's only going to lead to buying another one and that one will end up even bigger than the last... Might as well buy a good one right off the bat and learn from our mistakes...:D. The next thing I'm going to do is make a walk in gun room.. Forget the safe idea...:p

The next thing I'm going to do is make a walk in gun room

I almost bought a used vault door it was going for so cheap but don't currently have space to properly use one and it's overkill for my collection lol.

My wife asked me the last go around if I was "done buying safes" and to make sure this last one had more the enough room lol.

If you count my double pistol safe and document safe that puts me up to 5 in the house now:rolleyes:

Still my favorite one though:

D18A6C06-3C7A-454B-9953-9A83813AA9EF.jpeg

Buy nice or buy twice. Buy something you can grow into. The advertised long gun capacity is always high. Let's be real, you're going to acquire more and shes gonna be pissed if you have to buy ANOTHER safe and even more mad when you have to move some of her stuff to fit your SECOND safe. Spin it that way if need to. Im sure youve got plenty of valuables that ARENT gun-powder dependent and they deserve to be safe too. Nice watches/hard drives/whatever that need to be stored when you're on vacation ect. Ive heard good stuff about Liberty safes. If you dont want it to scream GUN, don't put any gun stickers on it. Also remember, all you're actually paying for is TIME- perhaps best to invest in something high quality.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top