JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently changed out the scope on my .22 rifle so need to re-zero it. I also have some 480 Ruger ammo that I made with 410gr WFN bullets to test fire. I figure as long as I'm going anyway I'll bring along a few more revolvers and a couple more rifles and make a day out of it. One thing I discovered when shooting on cold days is those chemical hand warmers.

Gun Day, Fun Day after action report. You got to love a private range in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week. There was one other person on the pistol range when I got there leaving 5 other bays open and by the time I got set up he'd left. Must have been on his lunch break or something. I started with my Super Single Six Bisley in 32 H&R Mag. In a different post I mentioned that the over-run ammo I make is what I shoot. It's a fun little gun to shoot I so ran thru about 50 rounds of everything from 78gr RN's to 100gr JHP's. Next up was my GP-100 and my most recent over-run of 158gr SWC's. These run about 1250 FPS out of the 4" barrel and my Ruger shoots them really well. Next up was my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Again production over runs was the ammo for the day here as well. I shot up the last of the 200gr Gold Dots, and a bunch of 200-250 gr RNFP's. I really like this gun and could shoot it all day but there was one more needing shot and that was the Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger. I'd loaded up a bunch of 410gr WFN with slow magnum powder that according to the book should be about 1200 fps. I'll run them over the cronograph some other day. Today was about how do they feel, can I even shoot such a massive load without conking myself in the head or breaking my wrist? Well no worries, I'd put a little 2X Nikon scope on the hand cannon and after a little fiddling I got the cross hairs to point where the bullet hits. I'd brought 49 rounds and in way too short of time had shot up 30 of them. I stopped there to save some of the ammo for a different day. I cleaned up my bay and put the handguns away then moved up to the rifle range.
Again two other persons shooting on the rifle range with about 25 firing points. I asked if I could go down range to hang my targets and they said sure, we're done anyway. I flipped on the range is cold blinking red lights and hung a target at 50 yds and 100 yds. By the time I was back to my bench they were gone so again I had the place to myself. I'd changed scope on my Savage MK ll .22 rifle so I needed to re zero the scope to the rifle. This rifle really likes CCI standard velocity 40 gr solid bullets. In not too much time I was shooting the center out the bullseye at 50 yds so enough of that it's ready for the next shotgun shell/pop can hunt. Lastly I'd made a load for my CZ .223 varmint rifle with W-748 powder and Speer 50 gr TNT bullets and I wanted to see how they'd shoot. An interesting thing to note is for some data sources there is no start load or range only one load of 26 grs with the 50 gr bullet so that' the load I made and it shot great. I was ringing the 2" gong at 200 yds every shot. In fact it was almost boring, put the cross hairs on the gong, use the set trigger and clank.
Anyway it was indeed a fun day with guns day for sure.

1674796685820.png
1674796649677.png

Aloha, Mark

So in my backwards, left handed kind of a way what I'm trying to demonstrate here is the best way to keep you guns and gun rights is to use them and not be ashamed of that. It doesn't have to be all scary and para- military though there is nothing wrong with that. It can be just a fun day at the range ringing steel and punching holes in paper. And honestly who, no matter what you are shooting, doesn't like to play happy can? That's how to fight back against the anti 2Aers, don't be like them.

Looks like we have the same secret to having that particular range all to ourselves. I had the pistol bays today. Weekdays late morning is the key in my experience.

On the opposite end, I no longer go Sunday evenings. The range chatterboxes and nosey Nancys like that slot

Gun days are fun days. I'll try to go tomorrow.
I have been readjusting the scopes on my old 22 rifles, (JC Higgins 29, Mossberg 151M)

Discovered that the really "Affordable" scopes skimp on eye relief which I didn't catch until I had the 22 rifles on the bench. Holding the rifles while bore sighting, I was adjusting for the lack of eye relief with my cheek weld. Rimfire grooved receivers don't always provide a wide enough scope mounting range. To get enough eye relief by moving the scope back, I had to put 2 rings in front of the scope turret on the 151M which just looks wrong. Eye relief is perfect though.

Looking forward to testing this old gun after a full tear down and reassembly. Gave it a new tube magazine spring as well.

Someone talking about shooting guns on this forum... 🤔 👍

Sounds like a fun day for sure.
No kidding! I have a private place to shoot, but when I'm there I have other things that need to be done. The only shooting I did last fall was sighting in a couple of rifles, then one shot during deer season. :D

I have not taken a bunch of guns, my wife and grandkid shooting for quite a while. Must be time.

It look like I might have a day or so between when I finish the ammo I'm making now and when my next shipment of bullets arrive. Sounds like another Gun day, Fun day might be the thing to do. I could re zero both my 45-70 and 44 Mag rifle at 100 yds, They are both zeroed for 50 yds and that seems a bit close for what they are capable of. I'll probably take a brace of handguns as well so I can make more of a day of it.

Thanks for the entertaining post. I used to do this sort of thing but not lately. This time of year, weather has a lot to do with that. And sunlight. It's still too low on the horizon should I want to use my chrono.

I started with my Super Single Six Bisley in 32 H&R Mag.
An under-appreciated cartridge, in my opinion. I've owned three. Two were Smith & Wesson Model 16-4's, wonderful guns. Also a Ruger SP101. Federal went overboard when they punched it out to .327 Mag. Oh, I'd almost forgotten about a New England Firearms R73, which wasn't much to talk about being as how it was an entry level revolver. But it was the same introductory design originally made by H&R that got the cartridge started off.

There was a Model 16-4 for sale here in the classifieds lately. IIRC, it was the six in. bbl. Which of the three bbl. lengths was the most common, but still a semi-rare gun when made. I've read that total production of all three bbl. lengths was 8,800. The two I had were both four inch. One of those had a custom-made accessory cylinder in .32-20.

In a different post I mentioned that the over-run ammo I make is what I shoot.
Makes perfect sense to me.

.223 varmint rifle with W-748 powder and Speer 50 gr TNT bullets
I've used 748 in .223 for decades with much success.

It doesn't have to be all scary and para- military
Yes, you can have fun shooting without that angle. Stories about guys having trouble going to the range in body armor are just too much.

My reason to go to the range today was to shoot the new to me 38 S&W in my also new to me Webley brake top revolver. And since it was a nice day and because I can I took 8 other handguns. Ever notice that you don't know you are out of staples until you are out of staples? And then gee I should bought more the last time I as at Bimart. Not to worry I picked off weeds, sticks and other targets of opportunity off the berm and wanged the dueling tree a bit.
The 38 S&W load shot way low but into a nice sized group and was a very pleasant load to shoot. I'd brought my Cronograph along and got an avrage of about 600 FPS for the 145gr Missouri bullet. I also shot 45 Colt, 45 acp, 40 SW(2), 9mm, 30 Carbine, 357 and 380acp. For some reason the gun I kept comeing back to this time and shot the most was the little Browning 1911-380 Black Label. Man that little gun is fun and accurate. It was a gun day, fun day for sure.

Oh My Gosh, he's at it again. My Son came down today with a suitcase full of Sigs and my Granddaughter. He'd bought her a ruger Wrangler as her first gun so I grabbed my Sig 220 10mm Browning 1911-380 , and my rugers in 44 mag and 480. We headed out into the BLM and found an unoccupied gravel pile to act as our backstop and had a gun day fun day for sure.

Today I took my CVA single shot 45-70 and Savage Mk II 22 rifle to the range. I wanted to check the 100 yd zero with the 45-70 and my ammo and reset the 50 yd zero on the Savage. When I got to the range there were two other shooters shooting and I didn't want to wait to hang my targets so I had my wife spot for me and I walked the 45-70 in on to the 8" 200yd gong. Once I found that the step of bottom duplex cross hair set on the on the top of the gong was the sweet spot for aiming I rang the gong 5 shots in a row. I put that rifle away after that figuring the zero is good enough.
I had been playing with some Agila standard velocity ammo at 100 yds but wanted to reset the 22's zero for the CCI standard target ammo it likes so well at 50yds. I was shooting 10 shot groups because that ammo shoots a dime sized group that is easy to see. It took me a couple of rounds to remember that 1/4 MOA clicks is 8 clicks to the inch at 50yds but I got it figured out and now that rifle shoots as it should.

Today I took my CVA single shot 45-70 and Savage Mk II 22 rifle to the range. I wanted to check the 100 yd zero with the 45-70 and my ammo and reset the 50 yd zero on the Savage. When I got to the range there were two other shooters shooting and I didn't want to wait to hang my targets so I had my wife spot for me and I walked the 45-70 in on to the 8" 200yd gong. Once I found that the step of bottom duplex cross hair set on the on the top of the gong was the sweet spot for aiming I rang the gong 5 shots in a row. I put that rifle away after that figuring the zero is good enough.
I had been playing with some Agila standard velocity ammo at 100 yds but wanted to reset the 22's zero for the CCI standard target ammo it likes so well at 50yds. I was shooting 10 shot groups because that ammo shoots a dime sized group that is easy to see. It took me a couple of rounds to remember that 1/4 MOA clicks is 8 clicks to the inch at 50yds but I got it figured out and now that rifle shoots as it should.
Is the mark II the bolt action .22 by savage? Been on the fence about getting one.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top