JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Where I work we have to deal with a fair amount of theft, and that can mean physical altercations at times. Also I run into having to reach up high for things and bend down a lot.

With all that said I need recommendations for a holster with superb retention and maybe some suggestions of attire that keeps the cow hidden during unusual positions.

Thanks in advance

<broken link removed>

This should cover your needs nicely; as long as you aren't wearing skinny jeans. Polo shirt or long work shift would cover the anchor that goes on the belt. Or you could hook your cell phone case to it in front.

I just received a refund from Urban carry. Bought it, tried it. Problems from the get go. The carry weapon would shift and could not be drawn when shifted. Happened almost every time worn. The only time it worked was when I stood still and drew the weapon. If I moved (walked) at all the weapon would shift. I can say the company was very responsive and prompt with the refund.

I have not read the best reviews about the urban carry holsters either... The idea is great, but sadly it seems like a gimmick more that a totally functional solution to my problem. That said, if anyone has real world experience to contradict my sentiments I will gladly listen.

Smaller pistol in a wallet style holster would be my suggestion. You can wear it without a shirt. Slower to draw but deeper cover there's always a tradeoff.

Have a look at Ted Blocker custom holsters. He usually has many options for most common pistols. I have had several custom made for me ( I carry un common pistols) and the price to quality ratio is un beatable, plus he is a local guy and takes pride in his work. Never had any issues with any rig he made and he will fix any thing to make it right.

We need more info.

What can/do you wear to work now.

Carhart shirts are long - get one size too large and you can carry a Desert Eagle.

Big and Tall stores are good if you need something more business oriented.

======••====

Having said that...

Are you allowed to carry a gun at work? What will happen when your dealing with a thief and you kill them?

Depending on the policies and your ability to afford a great lawyer, that gun may ruin what is left of your life.

Personally, I would buy a real expanding baton and beat the day lights out of someone assaulting me in a store before I pulled a gun.

My work forbids carry of any type including pocket knives. No job is worth my life, so I carry two pistols and two knives! Like I said, I also have to wear steel toed boots, and they make a very fine weapon when you know how to use them! I also wear hard knuckle leather gloves and those can be a weapon too! I work in a very strange place with hundreds of "foreign workers" here on work visas and feel the need to carry is absolutely justifiable! Many of these "people" are not friendly and many give me a strong sense of fear! Body language, expressions, tone of speech...... I can find a new job, I cannot replace a life lost!

I do not want the gun for theft prevention. We have pepper spray and some other things for loss prevention, I just do not want the gun to fall out or be pulled out during a confrontation. It's for potential other issues in or around work that I'm concerned with having the gun for.

As for attire, it's like khakis and Polo shirts with sweatshirts or a light jacket when it's cold. I'm 5' 11" 160 lbs and usually carry my shield while working. There is no written rule saying no carrying but it has been addressed as being frowned apon.

Theft isn't worth killing over. I have many serious reasons to carry at work! I can call it a hostile working environment! I have been there since 08 and in that time there have been numerous fights and other violence against co workers! Besides a transient labor force of " temp visa status" we have a large number of drivers in and around the place, many of whom are of "foreign" status! We also have a very large work force of professional employees who have a very high degree of emotional involvement in what they do, and that often leads to "Class warfare" and other encounters of less then professional behavior! I'm just a working blue collar stiff with a strong back and a weak mind! The nice thing is I am sort of under the radar, people see me, and yet they don't see me! I like to say that the whole works would crash to a halt if I were not there to keep it running smoothly!

For any concealed carry, What type of rig you use means every thing in preventing it from falling out or being used by someone else! It also means every thing for keeping it from "printing" while its on your person! You may need to step back and think on this a bit. Do a mental threat assessment of your entire work environment. Can you carry truly concealed? is there enough of a perceived threat to validate the need to carry? can another less then deadly weapon be used instead? Just some ideas to consider!

I've carried on jobs that had rules against it but the likely hood of needing it was very little.

If you think you might need it at work and there are rules against it then I'd find a new job.

Theft isn't worth killing over. I have many serious reasons to carry at work! I can call it a hostile working environment! I have been there since 08 and in that time there have been numerous fights and other violence against co workers! Besides a transient labor force of " temp visa status" we have a large number of drivers in and around the place, many of whom are of "foreign" status! We also have a very large work force of professional employees who have a very high degree of emotional involvement in what they do, and that often leads to "Class warfare" and other encounters of less then professional behavior! I'm just a working blue collar stiff with a strong back and a weak mind! The nice thing is I am sort of under the radar, people see me, and yet they don't see me! I like to say that the whole works would crash to a halt if I were not there to keep it running smoothly!

For any concealed carry, What type of rig you use means every thing in preventing it from falling out or being used by someone else! It also means every thing for keeping it from "printing" while its on your person! You may need to step back and think on this a bit. Do a mental threat assessment of your entire work environment. Can you carry truly concealed? is there enough of a perceived threat to validate the need to carry? can another less then deadly weapon be used instead? Just some ideas to consider!

Do you actually read the things I'm typing before you rant about being around immigrants?

I clearly said I'm not wanting to shoot thieves, the firearm is not at all for petty theft!!!

That said there are other reasons I want to be able to carry while at work. Like having to do bank drops, robberies have been on a steady rise nation wide, among others...

I can make do with an ankle holster but would rather not, and was just looking for people with more experience to get advice from.

I am not looking to hear how you need a gun because your job is crazy dangerous being around "migrant" workers, but that maybe I should find an alternate form of protection because the level of danger I face is inadequate.

I'm also well aware of carrying retention safety and maintaining concealment which is why I do not carry at work right now. I am currently inadequately equipped or prepared, but looking to fix that.

I am answering multiple questions/ statements here from more then one person! I am not trying to make light of your particular situation. I am offering to help! please take no offence! I was also explaining the very real problems I face, not to decry yours as less stressful. Mine is an extreme example and as such needs a more risky and carefully weighed response! I am simply pointing out that you DO have many options, and you and you alone have the responsibility of those. No more, no less! Again, I meant no offence! Also you and I may be online replying at the same time and one will show before the other. I may have just replied to you before your next and that might be the reason you thought I didn't read your reply!

A good recommendation is to try as many holsters as you can get your hands on. Some shops are more then willing to let you try on a rig and walk around with it on while in store. others, Like TED BLOCKER, will give you your money back, or exchange it for something else, They will also try to "work in" a rig to better address any issues you may have!

Many of us ( me for sure) have bought many holsters only to find they don't fit or don't work like they were supposed to! I lost count of how many I bought for just one pistol that worked for most of my needs/ times! I had one that was perfect for a while until it softened up and would no longer retain as snugly as it did Not unlike shoes, every one fits differently, and some days one that fit fine may not the next day! I applaud you for recognizing you situation and doing something to address it.

The gun will hopefully be my M&p shield ideally as that's my standard carry firearm. That said I can step down to a pocket 380 if I have to. I ordered an alien gear cloak tuck, but am still looking for another work option.

I will look further into the other options and continue learning from others' trial and error.

Thank you all for the advice

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR