JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1709938106152.png
If that 4K ULTRAHARD?

Oh, wait... :oops:

Flashlights on weapons especially defensive weapons. . Rifles, pistols, shotguns. To me they seem counterproductive. Here I am , shoot at me. I wont use them. Just me?
An ol' LEO here - and, nope, you're not the only one! Back before the full integration of semi-autos into police service we had only six-guns which, of course, never had provisions for the mounting of any lights whatsoever. When searching dark locations we were taught to "sweep" the area with the flashlight held in our non-gun hand and at arms length extension from our body. That way, if the bad guy shot at your light he wouldn't (hopefully) also be shooting at your head or body mass. Now the "tacticool" generation seems to have taken over (with the complicity of manufacturers, methinks) and now you're apparently taught/advised to hold your gun up to shooting level and sweep your surroundings. Sorry! Not me!

An ol' LEO here - and, nope, you're not the only one! Back before the full integration of semi-autos into police service we had only six-guns which, of course, never had provisions for the mounting of any lights whatsoever. When searching dark locations we were taught to "sweep" the area with the flashlight held in our non-gun hand and at arms length extension from our body. That way, if the bad guy shot at your light he wouldn't (hopefully) also be shooting at your head or body mass. Now the "tacticool" generation seems to have taken over (with the complicity of manufacturers, methinks) and now you're apparently taught/advised to hold your gun up to shooting level and sweep your surroundings. Sorry! Not me!
They're trying to think up memes.
Stand by, processing.

200.gif

We did cover quite a bit of the differences between indoor/outdoor usage as well as the differences between being a defender and someone doing a search. We also covered the fact that with most modern lights you do not need to point a WML even remotely close to directly at someone to use it to effectively ID them (I made the comment that all my WMLs can illuminate the whole room with just bounce light no matter what direction you point them, you only point it directly at someone if you want them blind). LEOs doing LEO things have a different use case than someone hunkering down to defend themselves in their home. WMLs fill a niche, but in that niche they are extremely effective.

now you're apparently taught/advised to hold your gun up to shooting level and sweep your surroundings. Sorry! Not me!
Respectfully, you are about as wrong as you can possibly be, sir.

You need to read this thread to see where that is absolutely NOT the proper, nor even remotely current, technique.

Start with lucusloc right here... But you can stop reading around Page 11, as that's about where the thread took a left at Albuquerque and drifted off into the high desert...

Last Edited:
Another thing I love about this community; the distance between thoughtful, on-topic discussion and pure random shenanigans is measured in plank lengths. ADD kids have nothing on us.

Respectfully, you are about are wrong as you can possibly be, sir.

You need to read this thread to see where that is absolutely NOT the proper, nor even remotely current, technique.

Start with lucusloc right here... But you can stop reading around Page 11, as that's about where the thread took a left at Albuquerque and drifted off into the high desert...
Skip pages 14-18. They, uh, went a little off topic.

lol you edited that in between me reading it and selecting it for quoting. . . Did we really start that thread drift on page 11? I lost track after it got really wild.

Skip pages 14-18. They, uh, went a little off topic.
More like the bottom of Page 9, really.

Like I said, he can stop there and never have to get close to learning about the flaming hamster. Now, that was a serious left turn at Albuquerque... :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
More like the bottom of Page 9. Like I said, a left turn at Albuquerque and veered off into the high desert...

You know, someone is going to argue that somewhere around there is when we got back on track, as that is when @Nosferatu redefined the tac lighting meta with flaming rodents. We didn't really go off the rails again until someone brought up their interrelated use in happy fun times. . .

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top